SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Global Entry made for a very easy re-entry at ORD yesterday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global Entry made for a very easy re-entry at ORD yesterday Login/Join 
posted
The agent took a real quick look at us, took the slips we had printed out, and sent us on our way. It was profiling!

...of harmless old people.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/tru...rograms/global-entry

We've discussed this before, it's $100 for five years and includes Pre-Check. If you travel often it's a great deal. There are e-forms to fill out (similar to a security clearance) and you'll get printed and photographed, easy as long as you live close to an enrollment center.

FWIW, we took a three week Viking river cruise Amsterdam to Bucharest, had a great time. Our flight from Munich to ORD was an Airbus 350-900, a first for me.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
This is for Americans that have traveled out of country ?

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Review of The Viking Cruise?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
This is for Americans that have traveled out of country ?

Yes, it is the "express lane" for coming back in from overseas. Pre-check is the outbound version for going thru TSA.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

I'd like that as well.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Best money I ever spent as I am packing for a trip to Columbia.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
The first time you walk down a line with two other people and look over at the 100's in the other customs line you realize it's the best $100 you can spend.

That and not taking everything out of your bag.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Global Entry is great because of fast return to the USA plus you get TSA PreCheck for domestic travel. It's only $15 more than TSA PreCheck.

If you live near the Canadian border, NEXUS is the one to get as you get Global Entry for fast return to USA, TSA PreCheck for domestic travel, and fast entry into Canada. Even better it's $35 less than TSA PreCheck (no that is not a typo). The only hitch is your enrollment interview is with both Canadian Customs and US Customs which are colocated so there are less enrollment offices than Global Entry or TSA PreCheck.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23266 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Yep well worth the money. Meh recent flight from London was a tight connection and there is no way I would have made the connection without the global entry. My platinum Amex card reimbursed my 100 bucks as part of the benefits, so a win win.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

I'd like that as well.

Jim

I started a separate thread:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...180072644#6180072644

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
...That and not taking everything out of your bag.

We did not even open up our bags! I had all our souvenirs in the same area, had a list of prices and total cost (all of $240), but like last year he never asked.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Global Entry has been a life saver when coming in from International. ESPECIALLY when it's the last leg in and I'm ready to go home!! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's two easy ways to get through Customs

If you haven't signed up for GE but have an international trip coming up soon, get yourself signed-up, and handle all the online stuff before departing, then when you return, while at the airport, do your interview.

Customs has a program called Enrollment Upon Arrival.

The hardest or, most aggravating part of the process is scheduling an interview. When I signed-up back when it first became available, the earliest time for an interview was 6-months out. I flew a cheap same-day round-trip to Las Vegas to do my interview. The interview was all of 2-minutes, a few cursory questions, photo and prints. Done. I spent more time waiting in the CBP waiting area then the actual interview.

If you barely travel, have one lone int'l trip coming up and that's it, then consider downloading and using the Mobile Passport Control App. Unlike GE you don't pay $100/5yrs and no TSA-Pre privileges but, it'll make your life easier when returning back to the US. Just make sure to set-up your profile before you leave.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We got Global Entry before our trip to the Baltic.
At Sea-Tac we just walked past a long line, cruise through security, and got on the plane.
Re-entering in Chicago it was the same as Sigmund reported.to left left a large room full of people in lines. To the right three kiosks and a separate exit. Scan passport, scan fingerprints, look into the camera, answer 6 questions. The receipt pops out. Baggage claim was empty save for those with Global Entry. Picked up the bags. Went to the Global Entry exit. The customs agent opened the gate and waved us through.
The application process was very friendly. We registered online, got preliminary approval. Then logged in to to select an interview time. At the interview, it was a pleasant conversation as out photos, then fingerprints were scanned. Within a week, we had our cards. Maybe, both of us once having security clearances, helped.
Frankly, it was the most common sense and hassle free dealing we’ve had in years.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
The first time you walk past the 700 or so unwashed masses that just got puked out of a few triple sevens and stroll through customs like an African General you will realize that the $100 or so bucks you spent on Global Entry was the best hunnit bucks you ever spent in your life.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
The first time you walk past the 700 or so unwashed masses that just got puked out of a few triple sevens and stroll through customs like an African General you will realize that the $100 or so bucks you spent on Global Entry was the best hunnit bucks you ever spent in your life.

Big Grin Cool That about sums it up

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post