SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Installing wallboard in shop. Advice requested.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installing wallboard in shop. Advice requested. Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted
PHPaul's been working on finishing his garage. His posts have inspired me to get off my duff and finish my detached garage. I have a roughly 20x20 detached garage, built by the previous owner. It is wood frame on slab, exterior stucco to match the house. Although it was built ten years after the house, it looks like it is original construction, matching the house's styling perfectly. I have insulated and drywalled the ceiling, and I am soon to start on the walls. My motivation is to provide climate control, but more importantly, to provide fire resistance relative to exposed wood framing.

When it was built, the walls were built with 4x8x96 studs on single plate bottom, double plate top. This makes the wall 101" after accounting for the ceiling drywall. Using two 4x8 pieces of drywall horizontally, this will leave the wall 4" short.

My question. How would you deal with this deficiency, and how would you finish the bottom of the wall. This is a shop, so there are oils, kitty litter, and general crap on the floor all the time, and the wall extends all the way to the slab. Should I fill the 4" gap with a strip of wallboard? What about the wallboard extending all the way to the concrete? It may be subject to water/spills occasionally.

My thought is to finish the bottom with a piece of 1x4, raising it 1/2 off the concrete slab, and just putting the wallboard directly on top of the wood strip. I can't get 1x4 in pressure treat, but I could paint it with copper naphthenate and then regular paint. It would be slightly off of the concrete slab, and Utah is usually a dry climate. Another option would be to buy half the drywall in 4.5x10 sheets and use one of those paired with a 4' sheet. This would put the wallboard right against the concrete slab.

Any downsides or ideas about my idea of using a wood strip to fill the extra four inches of wall, or should I just sheetrock down to the slab? There will be no finish base.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I would think you'd want the sheetrock off the base just in case of a water leak/flood, keep the drywall from wicking up water off the floor.

Posts: 23580 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
just a thought

start at the top with the drywall, (assuming you are going to run the sheets horizontally, not verically)

leave gap at the bottom,

get a 2x10 or 2x12 (either real wood, or some of that synthetic decking type) and use like a big piece of baseboard along the bottom

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
might use some of this pvc material as baseboard

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal...d-PVC-Board/50092312

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well, might look like man-work but, since it is a shop; what about setting a layer of brick long the bottom edge which the drywall butts down to? (just set the brick down, not cemented or anything "permanent")

Insulation about the same gap. This way IF oil, solvent, or other insulation/drywall destructive material runs up against the wall, the [replaceable] brick gets hit (call it "patina").

This is a "man's garage" after all, not a formal living space. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14040 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I would use 1x4 facia treated and kiln dried on bottom. It will be a bit more expense, but better longevity, cleaner finish and protect the lower drywall from damage when cleaning and things being pushed up against the wall.

If you have block or other raised footer the bottom plate sits on, you can wood wrap it.
(I did that in my garage, and prepped with heavily with termite treatment prior to wrapping.

I also like the brick idea.

Was any moisture barrier applied to exterior sheathing prior to the stucco?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How about using a 6" wide deck board at the bottom for trim and to keep the sheet-rock off the floor?

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Was any moisture barrier applied to exterior sheathing prior to the stucco?

The exterior is 7/16 osb, tyvek wrap, stucco board, stucco, in that order. There is no raised footer plate, just a treated 2x4 directly on the slab. There is a man-door that was not caulked at the threshold, so water would intrude beneath it. I removed the door and there was some decay in the plate by the edges of the door. I painted the wood with copper napthenate, replaced the door, caulked the bottom, and ground down the concrete slab a bit so that the water would drain away from the threshold. So far so good.

Doesn't Hardi make exterior 1x4 facia? Maybe using some of that exterior concrete corner board trim would make a good bottom for the wall.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Hardi make exterior 1x4 facia...

Yes. That would work very well.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diamond plate sheets would look pretty cool and give durability

https://www.cutsmetal.net/48-x...ln0QMkBoCMYQQAvD_BwE

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
azek. the only choice of anything that's near the ground and subject to rot etc.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11016 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
if you plan on using a piece of wall board for a seam fill put it in the middle not top or bottom much easier to mud tape and sand. that is how all the local drywallers do it. if it was me I would just put a 4 inch wide wood material right on the floor chances are the concrete to ceiling height are not all exactly the same around the building so this would be more or less trim.

Posts: 5606 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I’ll go with a wood or Hardi spacer at the bottom the drywall.