SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suspension mods for a 2008 Gran Marquis
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suspension mods for a 2008 Gran Marquis Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I ran up on this vehicle for a decent price.
just over 100k, everything works, etc....
It gets much better mileage than my F250 and, though the bikes get even better mileage, the Mercury has doors and a heater knob.
Now, I know this is a grandma car, but I'd sure like to tighten up the ride/handling a bit. The air leveling system still works, but I'm game to replace it.
I've looked at some of the StrutMaster stuff but I'm wondering what else might be out there.
I figure at the least some larger sway bars and better bushings might be in order.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same basic unit as the Crown Vic. You might see what the old CV police package had as far as modifications. I believe their suspension and handling were tweaked a little.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maxdog, yes...the similarities to the Crown Vic are one of the main draws to this vehicle. Same basic drivetrain w/o the abuse. This thing has been to the grocery store and the First Baptist church a few times a month.
I like the smooth ride, but its just a bit too squishy for my taste.
Would make for a nice sleeper.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I had one of those. Everybody here made fun of me. Not that I cared.

It was a big, cheap, comfortable car that got 27mpg on the highway. Had a huge trunk. Great gun show car. I never had a speck of trouble with it. Wish I hadn’t traded it in on that POS Chevy 3/4ton pickup.

Posts: 26921 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If it's got 225/60-16's on it get some mustang mags and put 235/55-17's on it. You will like the switch.

05 Crown Vic 1 small 2 by Krazeehorse, on Flickr

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mercury Marauder was a hot rodded Grand Marquis by Mercury. It had a lot of suspension and other work as well as more horsepower. I drove a few of them and they handled quite well for a giant car. Both OEM and aftermarket have a lot of suspension parts for the marauder (same car as what you have). Some of your typical Ford aftermarket companies like Steeda and others should have suspension parts for it. How far do you want to go? Springs/shocks/bushings/sway bars?

Here's a start:
https://www.andysautosport.com...ercury_marauder.html

If you're going to mustang wheels, put at least a 245/45/17 on it if not wider.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote going the donk route, i.e. a lift kit with 33s.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I vote going the donk route, i.e. a lift kit with 33s.

Complete with curb feelers and Ben Hur center caps?

posted Hide Post
Jimmy123x....right now I’m thinking just eliminating the air ride, bigger sway bars and maybe better front struts.
KeazeehorseI do like those Mustang wheels. I wonder if I could find some take offs?

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’d also throw some Bilstein’s on it when you do the sway bars and bushings.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3970 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I have a suggestion...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Jimmy123x....right now I’m thinking just eliminating the air ride, bigger sway bars and maybe better front struts.
KeazeehorseI do like those Mustang wheels. I wonder if I could find some take offs?

Watch CL. Those are dropping in popularity. Lot of that vintage wore out or getting crusty. I believe those wheels are available in several finishes too. I'm betting you can find some for $200 or less. But you will also appreciate the handling difference by eliminating some of that sidewall flex.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

Im sure you can find the wheels used for a good price. I'd do aftermarket springs and struts/shocks if you're removing the air bag stuff. I'm sure their are aftermarket companies that make performance ones for that vehicle. If not the stock marauder stuff or LTD police suspension parts is probably a huge improvement.

Wheels and tires will also make a huge improvement in handling.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here ya go:
www.policeinterceptors.info
They ought to be able to turn your GM into an Interceptor.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post