SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brand-new Danner boots under $100 shipped
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brand-new Danner boots under $100 shipped Login/Join 
posted
Readily available on eBay. The USMC RAT (rugged all terrain) boots. They come in hot, temperate, and cold weather construction. They run a bit small. The first pair I got was a 10.5 regular, which is what I wear in my Red Wings and other boots, and it wasn't long enough. I was able to sell them to a friend, and ended up with a pair of 11W; they seem right.

Hardly a good reason not to buy a pair, provided your size is available. Made in the USA by a reputable company, for under $100 bucks.

Beware the Bates and Wellco RAT boots; they're often mixed in the search results. I am almost certain the Bates are foreign made. The Wellcos may be US made, as they made issued boots, but they're likely not as nice as the Danners.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I presume that is a discontinued model as I am not seeing them on Danner’s site.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reckon so. The Marine Expeditionary Boot seems to be the current model.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are great boots. They are also the heaviest boots I have ever placed on my feet. You can't kill them though and you can kick anything and come out unscathed. Recraftable if you do wear them out as well.

For 88 bucks shipped with tax you can't beat these. Years ago I bought an even cheaper Bates version. They are still alive but they aren't Danners. If you need a boot that literally can outlive you and take anything you can dish out, these are them. Thanks for the heads up, I bought a pair.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
That's a damn rugged looking boot! I'm tempted.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
tempting, but I always have bad luck buying on e-bay. Like if they don't fit it's probably a hassle to return.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Danner boots are legit, very good quality, always a top contender for me. I wore thru several pair. Fair warning, the RAT boots are VERY heavy

Posts: 504 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having no military background, I feel kinda uneasy about wearing issue gear in today's climate. I might try if they were just black boots, but I'm assuming some type of GWOT brown color.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man.. those 12xw’s are calling my name…. Danners are great boots. I have two old pair of Arcadias that you cannot kill. Even the cheaper Scorch model that is made in Vietnam are damn good boots. My current work boot.

Posts: 4063 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are they heavier than all the 8" sneakers being passed-off as boots nowadays? Yes. Their weight isn't out of line for a proper boot though, IMO.

They are "GWOT brown", as wolfe said. They also have the USMC eagle, globe, and anchor on the side of the heel. I am wearing mine "in public" right now, in an effort to accelerate the break-in process. However, my intended use for them is working outdoors, hiking, preparedness, etc, so the color and logo doesn't bother me.

Also, I think any of the boots' perceived cons are outweighed by the fact they're USA-made Danner boots for under $100!

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Assuming the eBay ones are genuine, they're Government overrun, old stock. I bought a pair off Amazon a while back. New boots, but like 10 years old.

After getting them and wearing them a few days I ordered another pair. They never shipped and was refunded my money. I have a very expensive pair of Danner desert boots and I like the RAT boots better.

ETA: 10W on Amazon if you trust them more.

If they had my size, I'd order 3 or 4 more pair.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair just now on Fleabay. Was about $5 more than the ones listed on Amazon Prime, but AP didn’t have any 12xw’s. I would rather get them off AP, but it is what it is. The seller on EBay w/ them is a surplus store out of Boise w/ 100% good feedback. That made me feel better.

Posts: 4063 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I bought a pair just now on Fleabay. Was about $5 more than the ones listed on Amazon Prime, but AP didn’t have any 12xw’s. I would rather get them off AP, but it is what it is. The seller on EBay w/ them is a surplus store out of Boise w/ 100% good feedback. That made me feel better.

I ordered a pair from the same outfit yesterday, too. I bumped up half a size in length and went Wide because of KSGM's note.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bumped up half a size in length and went Wide because of KSGM's note
Please report on the fit. I would have liked to try an 11R, but they are seemingly non-existent, at the sub-$100 price point. The 11W, for me, are a smidge loose in the "toe box", but I have only worn thin cotton socks with them so far. With thicker proper socks, like Darn Toughs I often wear, the fit should be spot-on. Some "side-hilling" on a hike will be the true test. According to what I read online, the RAT boots not only run a bit small, but also a bit narrow. It's likely an 11R would have been too narrow for me, with thicker socks.

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
I bumped up half a size in length and went Wide because of KSGM's note
Please report on the fit. I would have liked to try an 11R, but they are seemingly non-existent, at the sub-$100 price point. The 11W, for me, are a smidge loose in the "toe box", but I have only worn thin cotton socks with them so far. With thicker proper socks, like Darn Toughs I often wear, the fit should be spot-on. Some "side-hilling" on a hike will be the true test. According to what I read online, the RAT boots not only run a bit small, but also a bit narrow. It's likely an 11R would have been too narrow for me, with thicker socks.
Will do; I normally wear 10R. I don't mind extra width, but I have on one foot a long middle toe that will drive me crazy if it's cramped, so I appreciated the tip on sizing.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer your question, yes they are heavier than every pair of 8" "tactical" boots you have ever worn. That is no lie. Are they so heavy you drag your feet around like Quasimodo? No. Just know these are in no way to be confused with "jungle boots". Even the hot climate ones are HEAVY. They will also take all the abuse you can throw at them. They aren't steel toe but for all intents and purposes they might as well be short of actually needing steel toes.

Danner boots are the best. Old, discontinued or not, you will never find Danner boots at these kinds of prices. If you need the toughest combat boots in the world, get a pair of these.

I don't need the toughest pair of combat boots in the world but I can't pass up 88 bucks to my door. That is crazy good. You will regret not getting these. If you are worried about sizing then go to a police supply store and try on some Danners (or Bates would probably work too) for sizing info and then buy these.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems, to me, that the bulk of the weight comes from the sole. The upper isn't as simple as a cordura/canvas and leather jungle boot's is, but the sole is where most of the weight is. The sole's generous width is the main perk of this design though; the stability it offers is pretty awesome. The thicker upper offers a boost in ankle support too.

A jungle boot is more athletic, and I do enjoy that; I've worn both '87 vintage jungles and Reebok Spearhead boots over the past few years. The Spearheads have been my primary boot, and are what these RATs are going to replace. The thinner/taller sole of the jungle-style boots make a sacrifice in stability. That combined with the sheer design of the upper ups the potential for rolled ankles, which is a pretty common event; luckily, my ankles are resilient.

I have a pair of Red Wing Roughnecks; those are what would classify as a "real" boot. Like the RATs, you feel pretty damn invincible with them on your feet. They don't have a steel toe, but I ain't scared to use my foot as a tool, when I am wearing them.

posted Hide Post
Size report: I normally wear size 10.5W or 11 and ordered 10.5W RATS from Amazon. With typical cotton socks or medium thick wool socks, it feels like a snug fit. My toes aren't hitting the front even with fast stops, but under the bottom of the lace area my foot is slightly pushing on the sides of the shoe and that's with the laces very loose. These wouldn't work with thick wool socks. The slight pressure on the sides of my foot while writing this are convincing me these need to be returned.

What's the consensus on gore-tex? Some hikers say it's hotter overall and you're better with non-gore-tex? Looking on eBay for sizes, I see KP Surplus has the Danner USMC Rat boots in both gore-tex and non-gore-tex versions.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The goretex ones are hotter. They also all have drain holes in the side so it doesn't matter how goretex-y they are they have holes in the side if you step in a puddle. I would probably opt out of GTX myself. My Bates RATs are the colder weather kind and I purposely went with the hot wx kind on purpose. I was going for light and cool, which this boot will in reality probably be neither. lol

posted Hide Post
quote:
they have holes in the side if you step in a puddle
I don't think that's true. The temperate pair I got first lacked the drain holes; the hot pair I ended up with has them. I'd guess the GTX cold weather boots lack the drain grommets.