SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ham radio DX propagations/solar conditions - SF:218 and sun spots: 197, very good
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ham radio DX propagations/solar conditions - SF:218 and sun spots: 197, very good Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
Ham radio "skywave DX" conditions are pretty darn good right now in case the ham radio operators on the forum are not aware of it. This solar cycle seems to be shaping up much better than initial projections so it might be worth your while to dust off the rig and tune around the bands if that has you interested! I have a multi band dipole antenna and I am hearing a lot of activity including 10 meters and 18 meters but not too crowded.

Todays solar report from eHam.net

https://www.eham.net/propagation

Solar-terrestrial indices for 20 January follow.
Solar flux 218 and estimated planetary A-index 6.

WM7D reports todays sunspot count is 197!

https://www.wm7d.net/hamradio/solar/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9748 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I got on 40 and 80M last night for the first time in months. It was busier than usual and 80M was a lot clearer for me than usual. While my dipole is technically long enough, it's never picked up 80 very well.

Posts: 20120 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I got on 40 and 80M last night for the first time in months. It was busier than usual and 80M was a lot clearer for me than usual. While my dipole is technically long enough, it's never picked up 80 very well.

That is good to hear! I hear a lot on 40 but no longer have an antenna for 80 though I can still hear strong signals for 80 on my 40 meter antenna . Now is a good time for those bands as spring/summer thunder storms bring a lot of noise to them and an amplifier really helps at that time. I just run 100 watts these days.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
It's the green comet's effect. Big Grin

Just kidding. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, time to kick some electrons around.

80 meters is a bit difficult because the antenna needs to be quite high above ground, and most folks, including me, just don't have the real estate to get up there.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been on 10 meters off and on for a few weeks now.

I tuned in CB today and California and New York were coming in loud. Nice to get some foreign countries on CB.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
It's the green comet's effect. Big Grin

Just kidding. Smile

Well you never know. Big Grin

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Oh yeah, time to kick some electrons around.

80 meters is a bit difficult because the antenna needs to be quite high above ground, and most folks, including me, just don't have the real estate to get up there.

I hear you, but one can still do pretty well on groundwave too on 80 for rag chew time. Seems like most everyone is running 1000 watts "or so" though. Around here static crashes from thunder storms throughout propagation area can make 80 pretty unbearable much of the time in fairer weather.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
I’ve been on 10 meters off and on for a few weeks now.

I tuned in CB today and California and New York were coming in loud. Nice to get some foreign countries on CB.

Western US been coming really strong here and some Central and South America. Hopefully solar flux keeps increasing to where we hear worldwide on 10 meters again as it has been a long time since it was really good to the point where I was staying up most of the night working Europe, Japan, Malaysia, and Australia but it's a lot of fun just being able to talk to friendly folks stateside too.