SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holiday charity... Or maybe not so much.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holiday charity... Or maybe not so much. Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
People still remember the stunt TSA pulled couple years ago.

This had me going for a minute. "What the heck does the Transportation Safety Administration have to do with the Salvation Army kettles???" Razz

I too quit donating to the Salvation Army when they pulled that boner. These days my charity goes to DAV and ASPCA.

Posts: 7280 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I figure I'm better off giving to my church.

A local food bank would be happy to have the donation as well, and there may be less skimmed off for "administrative costs" to boot.

God bless America.

Posts: 13531 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

there may be less skimmed off for "administrative costs"
Salvation Army is one of the better charities, re administrative costs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30763 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Salvation Army was a very good outfit that did a lot of good stuff before they went woketarded. I don’t know if they’ll ever be able to redeem themselves or if they just committed suicide a couple years ago without realizing it. Sigh…

Posts: 6929 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Mine go to DAV and Shriners Hospital for Children.

Q

Posts: 26551 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I’m another that stopped donating when they went off the woke deep end.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6495 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
never to the Red Cross

1970 I was medevacked stateside to a USAFB Hospital. A nice lady from the Red Cross came by and offered me paper and pencil to write Home, but I had to pay her for a stamp. I had nothing on me (in a hospital robe) but bummed the change ($0.12 ?) from somebody.

Now I have nothing for marketing charities.

Some are really better than others, and I can save them all for just $19/mo.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Straightshooter, your experience matches the one my dad used to tell about when he was in the Pacific Theater during WW-II (New Guinea and Australia).

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1977 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My Father was also in the Pacific during WW2 ( Saipan & Tinian)
He used to tell me that the Salvation Army and Catholic Charity's were the best, but NEVER the Red Cross.
He told a story. After WW2 he attended Lake Forest College along with many ex service men.
One day during a lecture a cute young girl entered the hall and asked the professor if she could pass a hat for donations to the Red Cross. The professor, also a WW2 vet shyly said OK.
The basket was passed in total silence. At the end not a penny was donated. The Professor dropped a penny in the basket and sent the girl on her way.The entire lecture hall went up for grabs with celebration.

I also worked for a guy that fought in Europe during WW2. He described how his Army unit was trapped behind enemy lines for several days. After crawling back to his unit, cold and hungry a Red cross worker offered them hot coffee and a doughnut, FOR A PRICE, he stated he would NEVER give to the Red Cross.

Now a days I will NEVER donate to either.

Posts: 4643 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
My Dad was in the medical corps in WW11. He set up and ran field hospitals. When Red Cross would ring our door Bell and ask for donations,me and my Mom would get out of the house.You could hear the HELL they were getting a block away. No one dared to say Red Cross around my Father.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1490 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I don’t give my racist white people money to anyone but the Shriners Hospitals for Children (Mrs. Mike donates to St. Jude).

But the only collection point I’ve seen here in Temple is outside of WalMart, and I walk around them

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Salvation Army does a lot of good, for a lot of people who need help. Their administrative skim is very low.

Not telling anybody else what to do, but I can overlook their woke act, if they don't make a habit of it.

"Forgive us our trespasses"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30763 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I don’t give my racist white people money to anyone but the Shriners Hospitals for Children (Mrs. Mike donates to St. Jude).

But the only collection point I’ve seen here in Temple is outside of WalMart, and I walk around them

This is what my wife and I do and have done so for years.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I focus my extra cash on St. Jude's these days, and feel fine with it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Salvation Army gets no money from me with their stance.

Kind of like my refusal to purchase any Kraft-Heinz product since John Kerry is associated by marriage with the Heinz family and his hypocrisy with climate change. It’s ok for him to fly around the globe while preaching to us how we need to lower our standards of living. Why should I put even a minuscule amount in their pockets?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8147 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post