Onion Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
An old, but relevant, thread.

Sharpest onion?
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...190000524#5190000524

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9017 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Completely invalid poll. "All of the above" was not a choice. I've never met an onion that I don't like. I have the breath to prove it Big Grin

Posts: 7570 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
all onions in any shape or form and cooked or raw. .A true "Vidalia" oninon comes from a very specific area in the state of Georgia and if grown somewhere out of that area then the taste is not the same. .............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2029 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don’t care for those red bastards one bit.

Posts: 26957 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I almost exclusively use Vidalia or sweet onions.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7087 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I almost exclusively use Vidalia or sweet onions.

I'm with him. The sole exception is a red onion for a Greek salad.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16262 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I came across this chart a few years ago, and I have been interested to see if this falls broadly in line.

Posts: 2020 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good chart, and I would agree that it's accurate in its broad strokes.

Sauteed shallots are also great for soups and sauces, especially stuff like Mediterranean recipes (Greek/Italian/Middle Eastern/etc.) that include garlic. They have almost an onion/garlic hybrid taste that meshes well with actual garlic and enhances it. For example, that's what I tend to use in my pasta sauces in place of traditional onions.

I just wish they were easier to find around here. Only one grocery chain carries them (Walmart), and they're sold out ~30% of the time when I try to buy them.

Posts: 32565 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Chart is pretty good, but shallots have broader uses. Especially roasted or stewed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20851 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
<snip>
Sauteed shallots are also great for soups and sauces
<snip>

So shallot soup? Might be good. Certainly alliterative.

Herby French Shallot Soup
https://www.halfbakedharvest.c...french-shallot-soup/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9017 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet Vidalia for most things.Red just for salads, sometimes on a bagel with cream cheese and lox.

Posts: 346 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Have you ever noticed how most folks call them green onions, but they are really scallions?

Christmas Dragnet

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I came across this chart a few years ago, and I have been interested to see if this falls broadly in line.

Agree mostly with this ^^^^ but white are my go to onions.
Then others depending on recipe requirements.
Plenty of crossover value between all of these varieties, so it's hard to wrong any way.

Posts: 22955 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I prefer Vidalia... the only problem with them is they have a shorter shelf life it seems.... and if not them then some other sweet onion usually it seems from either Texas or Washington State... but I refuse to buy the sweet onions Publix sells often that come from Peru.... so then I fall back on their grown in USA yellow onions...

My only point is probably 90% of the time when I start to cook something the first ingredient is Onion.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I, too, agree with the above chart. As dad used to say, "Use the right tool for the right job". While somewhat interchangeable, each type onion has it's "right job". The shallots we get around here, though, are quite warm. Nothing mild and more subtle about them. Great flavor, but mincing them up requires a gas mask.

Posts: 20133 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Red, mostly for flavor and shelf life. I put them in everything.

Posts: 3531 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post