SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Adopting a Stray Need Food Advice and of Course Pics
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adopting a Stray Need Food Advice and of Course Pics Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Your post put a big smile on my face! What a great looking dog, and good on you for the rescue! That pup will love you like no other.

As far as food, I have been happy with Blue Buffalo for both the dog and the cats. As stated Chewy.com is your friend.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
"God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform . . . ." You were destined to find that dog.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
I am sure you know this already, you are a good person. I am sure many people drove by without a care. I wish I was wrong. You adopted a good if not your best friend. God Bless, John.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would recommend taking him to the vet for a full check up.

My veterinarian recommends Science Diet and my 10 year old Doberman/Rottweiler has perfect blood work and wait.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dogs (GSD and Golden Retriever) have done very well on Purina Beyond (chicken and egg). When I can’t get it the Pro Plan chicken and egg is good too. Chewy.com is your friend

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
My thanks for what you have done. I would have done the same.

Did rhe microchip check end up with no owner contact or no registration? Many times a negligent owner will have a pet microchipped and never register the chip with the maker. Or a rescue or shelter will plant a microchip, and the person adopting the pet fails to register it.

Having been in your shoes with stray pets, I can agree, finding a stray pets owner can be an impossible task, You do what you can do, and you have.

My suggestion on dog food is Purina ProPlan, a brand I have used for many years. I am wishing the best for you and your new friend.

Oh, and do go online and register your dog's microchip in your name with all the contact information. This is very important.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My guess, doggy wasn't a stray, he was abandoned and is smart enough to know it. He also found a pack which has accepted him. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Awesome! There are lots of great options for food.

We like the smaller companies for various reasons.

Origen/Acana
Fromm
Zignature
Farmina
Nutrisourse

We do not like Blue Buffalo, Purina, Science Diet or Diamond brands.

Posts: 12924 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
God Bless you for your kindness.

Be prepared for a loving and loyal companion. I truly feel these guys KNOW when we save them. And love us all the more for it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the food suggestions, advice, and kudos for taking him in.

I think I've found his first flaw however.

Tonight he hopped up on our bed which we're not allowing. He's done it before and I've just picked him up or pushed him off while saying down. Well this time I said down a few times and when he didn't respond I went to get him down and he cowered and piddled.

He's done this one other time when I was just coming over to him outside. I think he thought he was in trouble, and he cowered and piddled.

Definitely fearful so I'm going to have to keep that in mind as we train him. Makes me wonder if he was abused or just his demeanor.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Tonight he hopped up on our bed which we're not allowing. He's done it before and I've just picked him up or pushed him off while saying down. Well this time I said down a few times and when he didn't respond I went to get him down and he cowered and piddled.

He's done this one other time when I was just coming over to him outside. I think he thought he was in trouble, and he cowered and piddled.

Definitely fearful so I'm going to have to keep that in mind as we train him. Makes me wonder if he was abused or just his demeanor.

You're the alpha and he doesn't want to get kicked out of another pack (think like a dog).

Oh, and packs all sleep in the same den. Try placing a fluffy rug or dog bed next to your side of the bed. If/ when he jumps on the bed again, just pick him up and place him on his bed. He'll get the hint.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Makes me wonder if he was abused or just his demeanor.
Bet on the prior. No reason a properly trained animal will urinate constantly when basic corrections are issued. You'll need to get him to trust you to get beyond that behavior.
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Try placing a fluffy rug or dog bed next to your side of the bed.
Personally, i'd crate him wherever you opt to have him sleep. Th crate in most cases gives him a place all his own that he can be completely secure in.
quote:
If/ when he jumps on the bed again, just pick him up and place him on his bed. He'll get the hint.
Yep. Just move him off the furniture without a word spoken. He's a smart breed to begin with which means he'll figure it out pretty quick.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Thank you, and it looks like you got a good one.
We have adopted three off the streets and they were (RIP) the most wonderful companions ever.

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He is a handsome boy. Good for you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

You're the alpha and he doesn't want to get kicked out of another pack (think like a dog).

Oh, and packs all sleep in the same den. Try placing a fluffy rug or dog bed next to your side of the bed. If/ when he jumps on the bed again, just pick him up and place him on his bed. He'll get the hint.

He picked out a spot along the wall next to the bed his first night and has slept there each night. I put a nice cushy rug there. He promptly pawed it into a ball, laid on the floor and rested his head on it Big Grin

He'll be fine, and I'm not worrying much about the piddling thing. I think he'll get over it as he realizes I'm not going to harm him.

All in all he's a great pup. I hope everything checks out at the vet. One of our fears is that he was abandoned due to a health condition. Hoping to get him in this week for a full check up.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking that beautiful pup in and giving him a home! Best wishes for you and your family and your newest family member!

Posts: 1363 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Great thing you've done. He's sure handsome! We're
big fans of the herding dogs, you've got loyal friend from here on.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
Great looking pup Don! He'll make a great playmate for your brothers latest one. Hopefully I'll get to meet him someday too, I look forward to it.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
WOW, what a great looking dog. Good for you!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12791 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Buster won the doggie lottery. Great looking pup, the last photo is a happy boy. Best of luck to the whole pack.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post