SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Predictive policing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Predictive policing Login/Join 
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could think of other entertaining programs that skirt the edge of entrapment.

Entrapment is when the police put the thought of committing a crime in your head where it didn't exist before: "Hey, lets go rob a bank. It will be fun."

Predictive policing is not entrapment. The crimes predicted will occur whether the police become involved or not.

Bait cars, and bikes and so on are not entrapment either. Seeing an unlocked bicycle doesn't convince an honest person to go steal it.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I was being sarcastic and did not suggest that predictive policing was entrapment. I think creating situations in which criminals would break the law is perfectly fine. It further provides me with entertainment in addition to getting the bad guys off the street.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Here's an idea...when the cops lock someone up for a crime, prosecute them and keep them in jail.

The shitheads that do really bad stuff have almost ALWAYS already been arrested for major offenses, and were let off. Usually completely let off. And if the DA manages to prosecute, they accept a plea for a few months or only probation.

It is, truly, all just a joke. Don't try to pretend otherwise. Rarely, one will get real time the first time, for killing an innocent victim that made real headlines.

Otherwise, no matter what the police do, the DA, the judge, etc., are going to shrug it off. I could tell you mind boggling stories. Expect nothing, and be surprised when you get something.

This is precisely why bad people are locked up for decades on drug charges. The courts won't do shit to them for shooting or robbing a few people, or can't because of a lack of witnesses, but hang 20 drug buys on Johnny's neck with video, accumulated weight, and a gun...nobody can sweep that under the rug, and Johnny goes to club fed for 20 years.

This is also why you cannot visit the court records of anyone from the comfort of the internet...if people truly knew how much shit thugs get out of, they would be heating the tar and finding a rail....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

The mid 90s was a long time ago. FaceBook, Google and Amazon and a thousand other companies are based upon predicting a myriad of outcomes from behavior and of behaviour. It's not rubbish, whether you believe it or not.

Exactly. These systems track where you eat, what you buy, how you talk to your friends, where you go, and much more. It's already used to determine insurance risks and even whether you're hired for a job. IBM's Dr. Watson was better at diagnosing illnesses, probably because it had analyzed pretty much all medical journals ever written.

All these systems put together huge amounts of data, detect patterns, and show predicted likelihood of the actions. That applies the same to health, auto accident, purchases, or crime. I'm surprised there aren't already big companies providing predictive policing software to most police departments. Is the data for crime that hard to collect and analyze across cities, counties, and departments?

Posts: 2377 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
:too damn big picture:

Been around for years.

You really should post larger pictures, the text on my cell phone isn't already small enough.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post