SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Predictive policing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Predictive policing Login/Join 
posted
I am curious as to what our Sig Forum LEOs think about this program. It is a fairly indepth story but worth watching. I certainly do not see this as violating civil rights, although some do. To me it seems like good police work.

http://wgntv.com/2017/05/25/cp...ategic-subject-list/

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some years ago, I attended a training seminar entitled "Precursor Crimes"
The gist of this was:
If a person (especially as a juvenile) committed certain low level crimes, he / she were then more likely to move up serious felony crime.
Examples:
Voyeurism would indicate a sex offender.
Animal abuse could signal crimes of violence.
CPD is evidently doing the type of targeting offenders, but stepping it up with the use of computers.
After I left the training course, I felt it had merit. But when I attended, there was no real means for long term offender tracking. So I felt the concept was of limited use.
I don't see a civil rights problem, as long as it is used to track known repeat offenders.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16379 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another boondoggle by Jonathan Lewin. He's been a house mouse for years. IMO he needs to spend some time on the street. I predict it will turnout to be another failure and will cost the city some big bucks.

Posts: 5787 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That article doesn't provide much information. Are they just making a list of people who they think are more likely to commit a crime based on their algorithm and then using heightened surveillance on those people to try to catch them in the act?

If so I have to believe it's a pretty big list in Chicago and they don't have the resources to fully devote to the project. I could be wrong though ...

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Every cop knows who the punks are on their beat who are on the fast track to Hell, don't need a computer algorithm for that. For years we have had programs that focused police resources on habitual offenders, like VICAP, SHODI, SHOCAP, etc, that are designed to take repeat offenders off the street as quickly as possible.

This algorithm theory is interesting from an academic point of view, but the moment government begins taking adverse action against individuals based upon the theory, it will certainly be squelched by the courts on Constitutional grounds. It may be good information to know but how far do you go with it? The real danger here is that computers become the substitute for critical thinking in policing.

Similar concepts of trait criminology are not new. Phrenology was once advanced as a science that could predict a propensity for crime by the shape and nature of bumps on one's head. Somatotype was another theory that suggested a person's body type predicted criminal behavior. It was once thought that witches float in water and innocents sink. There have been many other theories as well that have been debunked over the years.

The truth is, human behavior is so complex that any attempt to pigeonhole individuals will be faulty. The son of a crack whore with no positive male role models who lives in the hood where violence is common and drugs are currency is at risk of a life of crime, but he might go on to become a prominent surgeon or military officer. Our Constitution will not tolerate adverse action being taken against individuals based on predictive models.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Been around for years.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm not an LEO, but I am in a data sciences field. Analytics can predict damn near anything (what movie you want to watch, if you're going to develop type II diabetes) tied to patterns (human behavior) assuming it has enough data elements (age, income, zip code, family diagnoses, or... did Mark123 watch "other" Jason Bateman films). Big Grin

With enough info, it'd be very reliable. Not reliable enough to arrest, but I think easily reliable enough to be of interest.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:human behavior is so complex that any attempt to pigeonhole individuals will be faulty.

Agreed, because of the word individual. But, an attempt to identify a suspect sub-population from the population on a whole could be very powerful. Analytics is in it's infancy and is already spectacularly good.

I have a little nightmare that is in my head that one day, the Internet will be a tool to rule us, believing we as a population have free will. I suppose it happens already. With machine learning, analytics and individual message targeting, it will be incredibly effective. I digress...

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:

Are they just making a list of people who they think are more likely to commit a crime based on their algorithm and then using heightened surveillance on those people to try to catch them in the act?

The Machine from Person of Interest? Razz

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Rubbish!

As Yogi Berra put it, "my forecasting is none too good, particularly when it pertains to the future."

67.3% of statistics are misleading. The rest are flat wrong.

These "analytics" are useful when analysing mechanical processes, fair coins, unrigged decks of cards. They are far less so when human behavior is involved.

The most spectacular example so far has been Long Term Capital Management, a huge hedge fund founded by some very experienced, very successful traders from Salomon Brothers in the mid-90's. They were joined by a couple of Nobel Prize recipients in economics. Using sophisticatd real time anslytics, they were trading all sorts of instruments, picking up small price disparities.

For several years the scheme worked yielding impressive gains. The chance of a drawdown of even 20% was minescule, the chance of a wipe out something like once in the life of the universe times 7. Then, in a few months, interest rates started gyrating, the Russian bond went sideways, etc, and they burned through something like $5 billion in a few months. The Fed organized a "rescue" to avoid a number of big banks from being wiped out in the collapse.

Analytics might show that 90% chance of folks in a certain group being criminals. It can't tell you which ones.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

That's incorrect.

The other 43.7% are wrong.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It's just profiling....which everyone but scatacephalics knows works. 'Algorithms ' is how to describe it without empty heads exploding.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Predictive policing. Ah, good luck with that. How about predictive judging, that's where the problem lies.

Posts: 1982 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
This applies to adults as well. I remember reading company reports at General Research on Criminal Justice Projects that people committing minor crimes, later moved to major crimes.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Rubbish!

As Yogi Berra put it, "my forecasting is none too good, particularly when it pertains to the future."

These "analytics" are useful when analysing mechanical processes, fair coins, unrigged decks of cards. They are far less so when human behavior is involved.

The most spectacular example so far has been Long Term Capital Management, a huge hedge fund founded by some very experienced, very successful traders from Salomon Brothers in the mid-90's. They were joined by a couple of Nobel Prize recipients in economics. Using sophisticatd real time anslytics, they were trading all sorts of instruments, picking up small price disparities.

For several years the scheme worked yielding impressive gains. The chance of a drawdown of even 20% was minescule, the chance of a wipe out something like once in the life of the universe times 7. Then, in a few months, interest rates started gyrating, the Russian bond went sideways, etc, and they burned through something like $5 billion in a few months. The Fed organized a "rescue" to avoid a number of big banks from being wiped out in the collapse.

Analytics might show that 90% chance of folks in a certain group being criminals. It can't tell you which ones.

The mid 90s was a long time ago. FaceBook, Google and Amazon and a thousand other companies are based upon predicting a myriad of outcomes from behavior and of behaviour. It's not rubbish, whether you believe it or not.

posted Hide Post
The average beat cop that has high standards and a good work ethic doesn't give a rats ass about predictability studies. Bad guys generally begat bad guys in the hood. Shocker. Patrol is the backbone of ANY city department with any crime problem to speak of. Getting trustworthy qualified individuals to apply to be police officers is a much bigger issue to PD's than crime predictability studies.

Posts: 3645 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I just wear Sex Panther. 50% of the time, it works every time.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Here's an idea...when the cops lock someone up for a crime, prosecute them and keep them in jail.

The shitheads that do really bad stuff have almost ALWAYS already been arrested for major offenses, and were let off. Usually completely let off. And if the DA manages to prosecute, they accept a plea for a few months or only probation.

It is, truly, all just a joke. Don't try to pretend otherwise. Rarely, one will get real time the first time, for killing an innocent victim that made real headlines.

Otherwise, no matter what the police do, the DA, the judge, etc., are going to shrug it off. I could tell you mind boggling stories. Expect nothing, and be surprised when you get something.

This is precisely why bad people are locked up for decades on drug charges. The courts won't do shit to them for shooting or robbing a few people, or can't because of a lack of witnesses, but hang 20 drug buys on Johnny's neck with video, accumulated weight, and a gun...nobody can sweep that under the rug, and Johnny goes to club fed for 20 years.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Its my understanding that another facet of predictive policing involves predicting where the next crimes will occur. Like when they see a rash of car breakins, they can pretty well assume there will be more in teh same region. Of course seasoned detectives will just tell you the same thing, but having it come out of a computer is more believable. It can even suggest the same unknown criminals will be involved. So you can deploy extra manpower to watch.

And sometimes the courts get involved when the cops get a hunch and want to stake out one bad guy or group. Not fair to watch the guys who break in to houses when they go out at night, or during the day.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe we can have more episodes of Bait Car with predictive policing. I could think of other entertaining programs that skirt the edge of entrapment.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post