SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Xbox Series X owners, a question if you please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xbox Series X owners, a question if you please Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I own an XBO and am considering updating to a Series X ($900 in my neck of the woods).

Size and location are a concern because i have no room for it if it takes a lot more space than the horizontal XBO. I might be able to place it above the TV but it will look awful and cover the router likely reducing wifi coverage.

Plan B is ho for the Series S ($500). If so, how do you manage storage capacity? I currently have an additional 2TB USB drive and am constantly forced to juggle games to make room.

The Xbox is not and has never been popular in my country.

Can get a 4k TV but not likely to own a very large TV set (>50’).

EDIT: long story and forgot the important question. Where is the sensor located on the front of the Xbox Series?

Thanks.

0-0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 0-0,

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have mine in the entertainment center pictured below. In the picture it is in the bottom middle and in the picture is when I had my Xbox One X there. I now have a Xbox Series X there. I had to lay it on its side for it to fit. The air intake is on the bottom of one of the sides and the heat exhaust is through the top. I have it positioned so the top is pointing out to the living room and I keep the cabinet doors open because it blows out a good bit of heat. The power button and disc slot are on the side opposite of the air intake. I could not position it so that the power button and slot were facing the living room because it would not have good air flow, but the way I have it works and I have no problem inserting a disc if I need to. I really enjoy the Xbox Series X with a 4K tv.

Sorry I can’t give a current picture at the moment. I am lying in a hospital bed recovering from back surgery.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It’s huge. Your 2tb hd won’t help with modern games. They need to run off the SSD so you’ll be moving stuff back and forth all the time. Easier with the X because it has a larger internal HD. You can also get the expensive SSD expansion drive that plugs in to help.
I started with an S for my son but eventually sold it and got him an X. I got myself an X also.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
First thing, get well !

Thank you for taking the time to answer and provide a picture.

I have a similar piece of furniture that houses my XBO and above it a NUC (tiny PC cube) and a NAS, next to my amp.

Hadn’t thought of relocating the NUC and NAS before, silly me.
But they would both get covered in dust in no time. Lots of dirt/grit flying in in my building. It’s a bottleneck street surrounded by open space and tall buildings. Always windy.

Will the Xbox Series lie flat on its side or does it have a fixed base?
Any clue where the sensor is?

Thanks again Normin

0-0

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Chowser,

Thank you. Interesting that you got rid of them he S.
Since the Xbox isn’t popular here, buying and selling is not an option and while i own less than 5 BR disks and less than 20 game disks, somehow the S doesn’t appeal to me.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
It can lie on its side or be stood up vertically. I have never checked where the sensor is since it is RF, but I would assume it is on the same side as the power button and disc slot. From what I have heard the button used to pair a remote doubles as an IR input and is next to the USB slot. I think that is located on the side of the air intake.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Never seen one.

It’s not popular down here, therefore you don’t see them demoed anywhere.
MS officially introduced the XBO same day they announced the 360. That shows how much they cared.
All Xbox were smuggled - same as Apple products -

Most computer / electronics/ audio stores have gone the way of the dinosaurs because of foreign currency use restrictions followed by the pandemic.

0-0

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Here are the dimensions: The console is 151mm (5.9 inches) wide or deep and 301mm (11.8 inches) tall.

Here are pictures of it in both positions:

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Looks like a PC/computer prototype from the early 70s or Job’s Nextcube slim brother.
Guess winning design prizes, praise and recognition wasn’t in the to do list. Wink

Another question, since i have the old XBO with the proprietary headset connector, will this one use regular 3.5 jacks and/or BT headsets?

Thanks again. Been drooling at the idea of owning one of these since it came out.

0-0

Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
0x0 according to this tweet, the ir sensor is cleverly hidden behind the bind button (for syncing controllers) on the front of the machine. It’s that small button besides the USB port as seen in Norman’s pics above. Enjoy the new machine!

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Mine is mounted on the wall behind my tv. I don’t see it and don’t have any issues with the controller. I use a PS4 3.5mm headset plugged into the controller no problem.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Both very informative posts. Would have never guessed it could be placed behind mu TV.
Thus my sensor location inquiry.
My XBO sits under the TV and sometimes the LOS between it and my controller gets compromised by a bottle of flavored water and the signal gets lost.

I see new possibilities. Thank you very much.

0-0

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Got a couple of extra questions, if you don’t mind.

Is the PSU built in or is there an external brick like with the previous models and they discreetly fail to mention it?

Do i need a special adapter to add an external drive?

Am aware of the speed bottleneck but i checked an official X vs S comparison page and at the bottom it mentions a 3.1 USB adapter sold separately and states both consoles are 5.1 sound capable. I tad short of the real deal. The XBO is 7.1 capable.

0-0

Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
PSU is built in, there is no external brick.

You don't need a special adapter for the external drive. I plugged in the drive (Seagate 2tb) that I used for my Xbox One to my Series X and there were no issues.

As others have stated, you can play Xbox One games directly from the older external hard drive, but any current Series X games have to be stored on the internal drive, unless you by the special Series X external drive.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 587 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Good news, no external PSU!.

Seems to me that just an additional SSD 1TB is a tad short, if you plan to keep the machine for as many years as I plan to Wink

Hope SSD will become cheaper in the future in my neck of the woods. Also unlikely

0-0

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
For the money, if you are not playing 4k current release games, stick with the older One X. If you want to play current release games and have them look slightly better, go with one of the current Series consoles but plan to spend a chunk on expensive storage unless you have a lot of patience for moving games around or only play 2 or 3 games at a time.

The Series X looks good and is a lot smoother than the One X but it is definitely not a massive leap visually.

The Series X is surprisingly heavy.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post