SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best value 6"x8" door speakers.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best value 6"x8" door speakers. Login/Join 
posted
I'm a speaker rookie. I've never installed, or had a need to install or replace car speakers...until now.

My company truck is a 2014 F-150. It has 4 - 6x8 speakers in the doors with factory head. It's a basic system. The speakers buzz and scratch with moderate music levels, and one is mostly gone. I use my phone through the sync system, and it's often difficult to hear phone conversations.

I want to replace the 4 speakers with something better. I'm not looking for top of the line, but rather something better. Must be cost effective, in the ballpark of $100 - $200 for all 4 speakers. I'll do the work myself. What's a decent option in that price range?

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
crutchfield.com
match their vehicle recommendation. stock audio systems are sometimes weird, I have no idea if yours is or not since I've been out of that game for 10+ years. You might be able to slap any speaker that fits in & it'll work fine, but if not it will be a big PITA. Check first. Crutchfield was usually on top of the weird ones.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had Pioneers in my truck for 20 years. Much better than factory. Not cheap but not overly expensive either.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
For your budget

JBL Club would be my choice.

If you can go $250 budget Infiniti Kappas.

These tend to hold lows much better with factory head units than others.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Black is correct.

I replaced my head unit in my Honda CR-V with Kenwood, and used the wiring harnesses from Crutchfield.
Rockford Fosgate tweeters in the dash, Infinity speakers in the four doors.
Powered sub in the back.

Sure makes commuting a better experience.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In addition to a speaker change consider sound deadening & insulation.
Isolating the vibrations can make a world of difference.
It can be a bit of work albeit not hard.
Also "buzzing" could be clipping which is solved by more power.
It is also prudent to match power to the efficiency of whatever speaker you get.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've retrofitted two used cars of my young adult children with stereo units purchased from Crutchfield. As a novice, I relied on CF for technical advice and it was awesome. Customer service is even better!

Waste Kang, Honda mowers,.......Crutchfield.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you could add 150-200 bucks for a line out convertor (referred to as LOC's) and a small amp your OEM head unit would really please you. I like Polk Audio.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
I would look at Pyle. Yup there cheap and pretty consistently rate high in audio reviews. I have a Pyle system in my boat and am pleased. It certainly isn’t going to win any competitions but was an considerable improvement over the pioneer system it replaced.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, if you're not going to throw some power at your new speakers (i.e. an amp or better head unit), then I'd just find a couple pairs of decent (cheap) Pioneers and call it a day. You'll have clearer sound without breaking the bank. If you increase your budget and add a small 4 channel amp, then there are a number of good speaker choices, not the least of which, the Infinity Kappas Black mentioned.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Dude, Jensen Triaxials all the way. Wink

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Crutchfield. Look at round with adapters, you'll have a lot more to choose from and round are usually if not always better than not round.
Polk always gives a nice smooth sound for a low price.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Personally, if you're not going to throw some power at your new speakers (i.e. an amp or better head unit), then I'd just find a couple pairs of decent (cheap) Pioneers and call it a day. You'll have clearer sound without breaking the bank. If you increase your budget and add a small 4 channel amp, then there are a number of good speaker choices, not the least of which, the Infinity Kappas Black mentioned.

It’s a work truck. Pioneers from crutchfield, plus any wiring adapters.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I put Kicker CS in my F150, they are on sale at BB for 40 a pair. I am using the stock head unit and I think it all sounds much better than stock especially for the price.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/k...8401.p?skuId=5678401

Get these adapters, they plug right in to the Ford connector (BB will match the price from Amazon) each pack has 2.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/m...6409.p?skuId=3866409

I replaced the A pillar tweeters with these Kicker tweeters. (the 3/4" fit no modification, I think the 1" would fit trimming the A pillar mounting hole a little.) I used the Kicker crossover wiring that came with the tweeters and solder that to the Ford connector wires.
https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-...r%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-2

I did them on separate days, F/R speakers first and then the tweeters. The speakers are clearly better sounding, but the tweeter is quite a remarkable sound difference. All under 200.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great info, thanks Boss!

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I put Polk Audio 6x8s in my Ford truck and I'm happy. Got 'em from Crutchfield.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Exactly what we did when I was in the audio business back in the day.
Pioneer speakers were efficient aka would play with less power and sounded decent.

There are a plethora of factors to get a GOOD mobile sound system now days.
It is not just picking a Brand - you need to find the correct product.
With all the ambient noise in vehicles and some more that others you need some volume to get above it all.
Power and speakers go hand in hand.
Many really good speakers now days NEED lots of power and if you don't you will "clip" the sound wave(s) and get distortion.
Many blame the speakers but that is only part of the equation.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Dude, Jensen Triaxials all the way. Wink

They were "the shit" back in the 80's!!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Late '70's actually

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Walmart and get some inexpensive Scosche speakers for $24 a pair. God Bless !!! Smile

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sco...akers-Pair/293027682

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post