SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1998 Used John Deere 955.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1998 Used John Deere 955. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
OK, guy wants 12k. Tried to talk him down but he said he was pretty tight on that price...

I expect he bought it at an auction as he doesn't seem to know anything else about the tractor except claiming everything works.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I don't know that much about tractors but that seems a bit high...I wonder how much a new equivalent Kubota would be.

quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
OK, guy wants 12k. Tried to talk him down but he said he was pretty tight on that price...

I expect he bought it at an auction as he doesn't seem to know anything else about the tractor except claiming everything works.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4358 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
...I wonder how much a new equivalent Kubota would be.

Just checked... comparable new Kubota
33 HP 4x4 with loader. 23K MSRP.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Why compare it a new Kubota.?

I would tell him you can buy a newer Used Kubota low hour tractor for 12k or less.
Offer him 10k and walk when he says no.
Maybe don't bother and just start looking elsewhere. He is overpriced.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19706 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
John Deere parts are extremely high but they still carry parts for their older tractors. At that age, you may have to replace some of the hoses. Just look up a parts list for some of the hydraulic hoses to get an idea.

I would be looking at a used Kubota.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I'd be lost without a tractor on my 5 acres. I started out with a 1939 Ford 9N with a loader. Moved up to a 17HP Kubota and finally a 29HP Kubota with loader and 63" snowblower.

As the wife and I become more 'vintage', the tractor becomes more of a useful tool in hauling stuff around the place.

I only put 20 hours of so on it a year, but it's worth every penny.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2001 Kubota 50 HP in 2002 with 100 hours on it for $20,000. It had a Kubota loader and a cab with heat and air conditioning. I've only got 600 hours on it now but I have enjoyed the heck out of it. I think I could sell it for what I paid for it. (not that I want to)

Posts: 1504 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

For bargaining leverage you can tell him that a new Kubota B2650 26hp (same tractor and same lift capacity as the 33 hp B3350 only being at 26hp it falls below the Tier IV emission stuff) with a quick attach loader bucket, lists for $20,700. You can typically buy it for 10-15% off list so say around $18K. Also they typically have financing deals such as 0% for 5 or 6 years and you could include a mower deck or any other additional implements in the deal if you want. It comes with a 6 year/2,000 hour powertrain warranty. Like all new tractors it was designed to run on today's ultra low sulfur diesel which is another plus.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The 955 is the hydro version of the "50" series: 650,750...1050

Should be Yanmar based, and about as bullet-proof as they come. My 750 was a peach and I only traded to get a cab, hydro and power steering.

The new John Deeres don't interest me at all.

$12K is a substantial amount of money for that tractor but not insane given the low hours and the loader.

Ridewv's observations on a Kubota B2650 are well taken, it's what I replaced my 750 with.

Be VERY careful about getting tangled up with a Tier 4 tractor. I'm seeing a LOT of issues with the pollution controls and electronics on these machines. A lot of big-time farmers are overhauling older tractors rather than putting up with the prices and maintenance headaches of the new stuff. That philosophy translates well to compact tractors in my opinion.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:

For bargaining leverage you can tell him that a new Kubota B2650 26hp (same tractor and same lift capacity as the 33 hp B3350 only being at 26hp it falls below the Tier IV emission stuff) with a quick attach loader bucket, lists for $20,700. You can typically buy it for 10-15% off list so say around $18K. Also they typically have financing deals such as 0% for 5 or 6 years and you could include a mower deck or any other additional implements in the deal if you want. It comes with a 6 year/2,000 hour powertrain warranty. Like all new tractors it was designed to run on today's ultra low sulfur diesel which is another plus.

I would be going this route for the price. The Deere I'm sure is a great tractor and all but IT IS 20 years old.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post