SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1998 Used John Deere 955.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1998 Used John Deere 955. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Just saw this for sale, (craigslist, but at a local business) John Deere 955 with loader, 1998 model. Turf tires. 4x4 Hydrostatic. 33HP Yanmar 3 cyl Diesel. 486 Hours.

So, almost 20 years old. Garage kept. Tractor looks barely used at all. Owner was unavailable for more details and price quote when I looked at it.

Biggest question for me is, how dependable these are and would you trust the ~20 yr old hydrostatic drive to be GTG? What's it worth?

link to ad with photos:
https://nashville.craigslist.o...ctor/6326246332.html

Thoughts?
Thanks
TD

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I'd be on that like s tick on a Basset Hound.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have that exact tractor. Configured a bit different, but the same tractor. Mine is a few years older. A great tractor. I love mine. Only down side is that certain things are no longer supported any more. I don't think you will get it for less tban $10k

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19706 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would expect the hydrostatic drive to be good as long as the seals are good and not dry rotted, the machine has only 486 hours. The yanmar engine is an excellent engine but wear parts are expensive in comparison, like $45-60 for an oil filter as I think they're reverse threads and can only get them from yanmar. it's going to be all based on condition, just check it over thoroughly. See if there are any maintenance logs so you can make sure it wasn't forgotten about and not run for 5 years.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
No, You can get all the filters from JD for basically what you would pay for similar Kubota parts. The oil filter is like $10 or so. Air filter parts are kind of spendy. But a buddy has a newer Kubota and we compared the cost of msintenace parts and they were with in a few dollars

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
No, You can get all the filters from JD for basically what you would pay for similar Kubota parts. The oil filter is like $10 or so. Air filter parts are kind of spendy. But a buddy has a newer Kubota and we compared the cost of msintenace parts and they were with in a few dollars

I deal with those engines in generators (marine). The filters from yanmar or Kohler are those prices....perhaps deere made a remote mount or a mount that takes their filter, because I know the 3 cylinder yanmar filters I deal with are a yanmar specific part, or kohler rebranded yanmar and expensive (fuel, oil, air etc). On the yachts the air filters go a long long time though as they're in a clean environment.

I just looked and the john deere oil filter, fuel filter, etc. are totally different than the factory yanmar Japanese stuff......for example, the fuel filter on a kohler generator is a yanmar spin on.

Anyways we usually get 10,000 hours on the engines running 1800 rpms all of the time in a generator.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
All i know is those parts are available at your factory JD dealer. Are pretty affordable to kubota and work great.

It has been a great little diesel engine and the 955 is a good and pwerful small 4wd tractor.

To the op. I would loomking at the value of used kubota's to determine a fair price for it.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If it's priced right, jump on it. It will not last the weekend.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
He didn't post the price so that's a red flag.
Almost 100% post the price on craigslist.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Did you contact him?

Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
He didn't post the price so that's a red flag.
Almost 100% post the price on craigslist.

I don't waste my time with folks that are too embarassed to put the price in the ad.

They know they are asking too much.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3124 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Shoot seller an email and ask price. Nothing to lose. JD 955 is a dandy small tractor and to have that few hours it was someones hobby and usually well kept. Beware of scams.

Moneys tight and cash is king under 10k is good... try for 7500

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a gear drive 770, of same vintage and have had no issues. Take a look on Tractor Suuply for comparative pricing. Impressive that the foot plate still has paint on it.

Posts: 283 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I stopped and looked at the tractor Friday. I have been looking for one.

Some old guy came out and he didn't know the price or any other details.
He said the guy selling the tractor was unavailable until Monday, so I didn't attempt any other contact.

It's in front of a family business that used to be a paving and excavating company. They have assorted stuff out front for sale most of the time, I'm thinking consignments. They had a rough JD tractor a while back and have a backhoe a skid steer and a 1962 Mack Road tractor now as well.

The sign now reads Pipe and Supply. Like drainage culverts and such.

There is always been something out for sale for a few years, way too much to just be selling off their own stuff I think. The turnover is pretty slow.

I'll go by tomorrow...

Thanks everyone.

Collecting dust.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you with this. If it is right for you, I hope you get a great deal.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
It's basically a Yanmar/Mitsubishi.
See if it has the Yanmar 3TN84RJ engine.
As the 955 is 33hp.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you decide you are interested and want a market price for comparison go to ironappraiser.com and enter the tractor's features. It will cost you $15.

Posts: 999 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

According to the spec sheet on Tractordata.com it does. Is that a good thing? Should there be a plate on the engine or tractor with that on it?

Collecting dust.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
If you decide you are interested and want a market price for comparison go to ironappraiser.com and enter the tractor's features. It will cost you $15.

I may do just that if he shoots a price that seems high. I see the specs say 18k to 19k New depending on some options I guess.

I found a few others that sold or are for sale around the country and they ranged from $8500 to $1200. The $1200 one was almost the same condition and low hours... but it also included a belly mower.

I'm thinking now I'd do 10K with a full tank o diesel and free delivery to my house... Hope that not to far off.

Collecting dust.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

According to the spec sheet on Tractordata.com it does. Is that a good thing? Should there be a plate on the engine or tractor with that on it?

Then it is a Yanmar. JD bought Mitsubishis also.
Tractordata is mostly correct.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post