SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you keep a “where it is” file?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Do you keep a “where it is” file? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I do. Most of the entries specify the location of paper documents, such as a copy of my father’s death certificate, in my four drawer filing cabinet. But some physical objects too.

It’s a simple text file. But my text editor, emacs, has powerful search capabilities. I can nearly always find what I’m looking for. Documents in that filing cabinet are fairly well organized, but I value that file!



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you keep a “where it is” file?
I have one. I'm pretty sure it's around here, somewhere. I'll look for it.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33801 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, and both my heirs know about it. It lists all my passwords, bank accounts, life insurance, etc.

I update it anytime I have any change.


===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.
 
Posts: 2346 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I don't at this time, but I've been thinking about it.
One big point is the combinations to my safes. How are you guys storing that in a secure way that will be accessible to someone when you're gone?



"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
 
Posts: 17191 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Do you keep a “where it is” file?
I have one. I'm pretty sure it's around here, somewhere. I'll look for it.


Big Grin




SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
 
Posts: 42140 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I don't at this time, but I've been thinking about it.
One big point is the combinations to my safes. How are you guys storing that in a secure way that will be accessible to someone when you're gone?

That’s not the point of my thread. My “where it is” file is to enable ME, not my heirs, to find my stuff.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have many books in my library and most are in boxes in various locations. My 98-page Word document listing them indicates where they’re located. I also have a lot of stuff, much of which is in boxes or in various cabinets or drawers. A 67-page Word document lists what’s in each box and where things are located.

Both lists get accessed frequently.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thanks for getting my thread back on track sigfreund.
You’re a well organized guy! Smile



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
No. There have been times though, when I wish I had.
 
Posts: 7871 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Years ago, when working on my seven antique Ferguson tractors was my main hobby, I kept a list of all the cardboard boxes that contained used parts and what parts were in each box.

Now that all of my tractor are semi-retired and I am fully retired, I have no idea where that list might be. The boxes are still on their shelves and the tractors are still in their sheds, but the old man just sits and waits for his turn to be boxed and categorized..
 
Posts: 1759 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
You and V-Tail are in the same boat. WHERE IS THAT LIST? Smile



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
We have a few disparate files, retirement-financial, passwords, recurring-draft payment/online accounts etc. it’s time to organize and compile a more concise, better organized file with better notes and instructions for whoever gets to sort our affairs out.
Also need to update our wills, they’re usable as is but need to update and revise.


Bill Gullette
 
Posts: 1691 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I'm with slosig.


________________________________________________________
The trouble with trouble is; it always starts out as fun.
 
Posts: 5092 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
I'm with slosig.


Me too. I do have file cabinets with a logical (at least to me) filing system and any important papers are in one of them, and critical papers are in a fireproof (hah...) box in my safe.

So far at least, I have good recall on where things are. I can tell you where every tool I own is by building, toolbox, drawer and location within the drawer.

While that ship has not yet sailed, line handlers are standing by...




Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
 
Posts: 16715 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Nope. I plan on looking down and laughing at the kids trying to find stuff.


____________
Pace
 
Posts: 1658 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, but I keep a "What it is" file.

 
Posts: 114934 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
Nope. I plan on looking down and laughing at the kids trying to find stuff.


A plan like that might cause you to have to "look up"'


Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.
 
Posts: 4726 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
A plan like that might cause you to have to "look up"'


Nah....I fully expect God to have a sense of humor. Have you read the bible?


____________
Pace
 
Posts: 1658 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
My parents showed me a piece of paper with a bunch of passwords, combinations and account numbers on it. I took a photo with my phone and uploaded it to my photo hosting site .... which later went down after that data center fire in France a few years ago. Gone forever.


Freewill Firearms
07 FFL, Class 2 SOT
 
Posts: 4445 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
emacs


Emacs is the kid that went to after school Taekwondo. Vi is the kid with 3 older brothers and a drunken step father.


Beagle lives matter.
______
(\ / @\_____
/ ( ) /O
/ ( )______/
///_____/
 
Posts: 1216 | Location: Panhandle of Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you keep a “where it is” file?

© SIGforum 2026