SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Monetary gift for high school graduate?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monetary gift for high school graduate? Login/Join 
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted
I have a friend whose son graduates from high school this week. I want to give him a gift of a couple hundred dollars, but would like this to be for some future need or want. If I give him cash, I know it will be gone before I'm out the driveway. I was thinking a savings bond, but it looks like you can't just walk into a bank and purchase them anymore. Both he and I would have to register accounts online to give him the bond as a gift, and I'm not sure he would actually make the effort to do this. So I'm wondering if there is another option to gifting him some money that hopefully he won't just piss away. Thanks for any ideas.

Posts: 764 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
a couple of hundred bucks to a child that does not know how to take care of money and is too lazy to help with saving???

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Give it to the parents for said purpose?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
a couple of hundred bucks to a child that does not know how to take care of money and is too lazy to help with saving???

Well I don't know for sure that he is too lazy to actually make the effort, but I just there might be an easy alternative. I am planning on talking to his mother to get her thoughts on whether he would follow through. I was hoping that by the time a bond had matured, maybe he woul Dave a bit more sense about money.

Posts: 764 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We give kids $100 as a graduation or birthday gift and try not to worry about what they spend it on. If they hang on to it for very long, the hundred will buy less than it does today. And it doesn't buy much of lasting value even now, really.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are intending this gift to go towards his future education give him a card stating as much, and then you can pay the money directly to whatever institution he attends.

If not, just give him the money and don't worry about what it's spent on.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A membership in the Box Of Condoms Of The Month Club?

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We give kids $100 as a graduation or birthday gift and try not to worry about what they spend it on. If they hang on to it for very long, the hundred will buy less than it does today. And it doesn't buy much of lasting value even now, really.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah and put it in a card. I still have some of the cards from my youth. Write something meaningful in the card.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
quote:

Well I don't know for sure that he is too lazy to actually make the effort, but I just there might be an easy alternative. I am planning on talking to his mother to get her thoughts on whether he would follow through. I was hoping that by the time a bond had matured, maybe he woul Dave a bit more sense about money.

I hope that your generosity does not bring you grief. Good luck to you in finding a solution.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the relationship, a notation in the card of do not spend on Hookers and Blow, will surely be remembered for years to come. If not, think of something else.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^Lol.
What did you want at that age?
Probably cash in hand.
If you want to do $200 how about a $100 bill in the card with a note inside redeemable to another $100 to his school or next opportunity?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
quote:

I hope that your generosity does not bring you grief. Good luck to you in finding a solution.

It certainly won't bring me grief even if he wads it up and tosses it in a dumpster.
I know the amount I am planning on giving him isn't really significant and is extremely unlikely to ever be life changing. I was just looking for ideas as to something that might mature into a little more in the future, and be a little bit less likely to burn a hole in his pocket. If I give him cash and he spends it on hookers and blow, I'm not sure how pleased his mother might be.

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
How about 200.00 worth of silver. Has meaning now but can be redeemed for cash later if needed.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
We give our oldest grandson a 'coupon' redeemable for one trip the the shooting range with us. Range fees and ammo provided. Since that can turn into a half day outing with everything provided, he's generally GTG.

As a concept, you might consider something redeemable for an appropriate reason, books for college, toward tuition, clothes, etc.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Gift card at the gas station of choice in the area might be useful and depending on his vehicle may not be burned up in one stop. Just a thought.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Lower the amount to $50 and you won't care so much that he blows it. Big Grin

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Give him the cash...why would you care how he spends it? If it really matters to you, get him a gift card to Red Lobster. I'm sure he'll be greatful for it and remember you.

But seriously, it's a gift for a special occasion...let him enjoy it how he wants, whether that means saving it or getting some hookers and blow.

I swear, sometimes you guys over think things.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Is he going away to college? If so, a gift certificate at a pizza place that delivers would be thoughtful and well used.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23658 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Give him the cash...why would you care how he spends it? If it really matters to you, get him a gift card to Red Lobster. I'm sure he'll be greatful for it and remember you.

But seriously, it's a gift for a special occasion...let him enjoy it how he wants, whether that means saving it or getting some hookers and blow.

I swear, sometimes you guys over think things.

couldn't agree more, it's a gift.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
How about 200.00 worth of silver. Has meaning now but can be redeemed for cash later if needed.

Good idea!

Posts: 846 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post