SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Halibut cheeks ...got some and really enjoyed them. Recipe choice in bottom of page 1.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Halibut cheeks ...got some and really enjoyed them. Recipe choice in bottom of page 1. Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
For those unfamiliar: Halibut cheeks are portions of flesh removed from the head of the fish. They have an almost sweet and luxurious flavor. The texture and oval shape somewhat resemble a scallop.

Got a call from our fish monger today. Been on the list for fresh Alaskan halibut cheeks for almost 2 years. When they get some in it sells out in a flash and I always seem to have been too far down on the waiting list. But not this time. Big Grin

Neighbor will pick up a couple pounds Friday that are being set aside for me.

Looking at trying this recipe. Any other suggestions?

Pan-seared Halibut Cheeks with Mustard Chive Sauce

Sumptuous fish swimming in a luxurious cream sauce.

Preparation time: 5 minutes

Cooking time: About 7 minutes

Makes: 2 servings

4 to 8 halibut cheeks, depending on size (about 300 grams)

• salt and white pepper to taste

1 Tbsp olive oil

1/4 cup white wine

1 small garlic clove, minced

1/2 cup whipping cream

1 Tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard

2 tsp snipped fresh chives

Pat the halibut cheeks dry, and season with salt and pepper. Place the oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat. When very hot, add the cheeks and cook one minute on each side, or until almost cooked through. Transfer cheeks to a plate.

Drain excess oil from the skillet. Add the wine and garlic and cook until wine is reduced by half. Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Simmer and reduce the cream until it lightly thickens. Mix in the mustard and chives; season the sauce with salt and pepper.

Return the cheeks to the skillet and heat them in the sauce until cooked through, about two minutes.

Divide the cheeks between two plates, top with the sauce and serve.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Butter and garlic to taste and cook em in a small pan on the stove....until firm.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Talk about a blast to the past !

My father-in-law was from Newfoundland and was a commercial fisherman growing up, a few years fishing off Boston and over 30 years both Alaska and Washington coast swapping gear on his limited seiner. Had my share of halibut cheeks. So many ways to prepare and we kept it very simple ... but your recipe looks great ! Don't over cook.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Looks like a variation of the Newburg recipe, but savory orientation.

Maybe go sweet with one or two tablespoons butter, equal flour, 1 cup cream, 2 tablespoons sweet sherry, mustard powder, no garlic. S&P, chives, to taste.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I lived in Alaska for 5 years, and my vote is "less is more." In other words, you're paying a premium for a buttery delicacy so you want to bring out the flavor not drown out the flavor with a strong sauce or strong seasoning.

Halibut is not as forgiving as salmon so you definitely want to cook to temperature not time. I'd cook it to exactly 140F.

I'd cook them a lot like scallops:
  • Tbsp of butter in skillet on high. Get a hard sear of about 2 minutes then flip and cook until 140F. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  • Preheat oven to 450. Brush with olive oil and season with salt. Place in oven until 140F then pull and sprinkle with pepper.
  • Preheat grill and get to high heat. Brush with olive oil and season with salt. Get a hard sear for about 2 minutes, flip, and then pull at 140F. Sprinkle with pepper.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    I lived in Alaska for 5 years, and my vote is "less is more." In other words, you're paying a premium for a buttery delicacy so you want to bring out the flavor not drown out the flavor with a strong sauce or strong seasoning.

Yes! When I order halibut at a restaurant, I ask if they cook away the flavor because I want the flavor.

When I order lamb, on the other hand, I don't want the distinct flavor and prefer it cooked away or covered up.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19685 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'd just cook them with butter, olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper.

But with your recipe, if you really do insist on a sauce, the recipe looks good but I'd ditch the chives and substitute fresh dill for them. Fresh Dill goes really well with seafood.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dinosaur
    Picture of P210
    posted Hide Post
    Delicious smoked, although hearing “Wanna taste my but cheeks?” while getting a solo tour of an Alaskan smokehouse wasn’t the best way to learn of their existence 30+ years ago. I was there dropping off Coho from Anchor River and it took an awkward moment for me to realize and say yes. Had never heard the term prior.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    I'd just cook them with butter, olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper.

But with your recipe, if you really do insist on a sauce, the recipe looks good but I'd ditch the chives and substitute fresh dill for them. Fresh Dill goes really well with seafood.

This.
    Don't use too many ingredients, the idea is to taste the meat, simple is best.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks guys.

I think I need to start out with the less is more approach first rather than a sauce.

As for dill, that's our go to for salmon. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    Yep, simple is better, less is more with halibut/cheeks.

I poach them in emulsified butter (butter whipped into water). Then, dip in garlic butter or a nice light cream sauce.

Cheeks are not unlike lobster. Garlic and butter is all you need.

I'm heading to Sitka the last week of June and will be bringing back a bunch. Can't wait.

Posts: 20120 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I am another that says keep it simple and enjoy the halibut(my favorite fish). A cast iron skillet or a hot grill, with garlic butter and pepper. Don't overcook, as it is easy to do. Enjoy, and report back to those of us that are living vicariously through you!!

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Never heard the term, but if we get to take our June trip to Alaska, I will make it a point to try some!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    The thread title sounded better at first glance.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    My Uncle would make these when we surf fished for blues. If I remember correctly, he would soak them in buttermilk before cooking them up. Great memories and they were delicious.

Enjoy your cheeks!

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    Fresh flown in seafood to the upper mid-West is always expensive. My retired military discount helps. Smile

Got my 2 lbs of fresh Alaskan halibut cheeks today. Big Grin

Just two of the display counters:

https://www.facebook.com/dakotaseafood/

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
    I was in Spain a few years ago and had one of the best seafood meals ever, one of courses was kokotxia al pil pil (Hake or cod throat muscles in sauce). The technique is to gently heat up the fish so the fat melts out, cools, mix the liquid with the garlic, oil, parsley and dry white wine to form a thickened emulsified sauce. You might be able to do the same with halibut cheeks...as this method of sauce making is also used for the famous Basque grilled turbot, a relative of halibut.

The below video shows Michelin-stared chef making it at home, the subtitles aren't accurate but, the ingredients are simple and you get an idea of the technique.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    So, how did they come out and taste?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    So, how did they come out and taste?

Doing some up this weekend.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    Finally got to preparing the dish. Oh My! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Decided to go with pan frying in butter with a very small touch of EVOO. Simple salt and pepper on the cheeks after pat drying. Came out perfect! Not overdone. Not underdone. Smile

But the big surprise was how tasty the wine-lemon-shallot garnish was. Served on the side. Not overwhelming at all.

Here's what I did to make the garnish:
    Heated some olive oil on medium heat in a small saucepan. Added finely diced shallot (used half of the big one pictured) and sliced garlic clove to the pan. Cooked until the shallots and garlic began to soften. Next, added my DIY herbs de Provence blend (thyme, rosemary, tarragon, celery seed. finely crushed bay leaf) to the shallot mixture and cooked for about 1 minute. Added a 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice and 1/2 cup white wine to the shallot mixture and cooked until the sauce was reduced.

Might not be the best side choices but damned this was good! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192