SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Companies that do a great job of changing with the times...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Companies that do a great job of changing with the times... Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
The JC Penny thread had me thinking about all the companies that suck at changing with the times...but then also had me thinking about some of the companies that have done a masterful job of transitioning.

1) Netflix. Netflix started off as a DVD by mail only service, and the intent was to disrupt brick & mortar video rental places like Blockbuster. When the world started getting internet that was fast enough for reliable streaming video, Netflix was right there pushing instant streaming video. I remember back when you could only watch the videos on the computer, and there were only a few videos, but Netflix got streaming video right.

2) REI. Faced with the stiff competition of online sales, REI seems to still be bustling in their brick & mortar showrooms due to carrying only high quality gear catered to the less price sensitive shoppers that are often protected by minimum advertised pricing policies, providing actual knowledgeable (enthusiast level) staff that can make on-the-spot gear recommendations, and a 1 year return policy that allows you to buy with confidence.

Costco. High quality products, at really good prices, in bulk quantities or sizes that don't make sense to buy online.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home Depot has great prices that beat Amazon often.

I think Target has extremely good customer service.

I don't feel sorry for Sears and JCPenney at all, they turned into financing stores, focusing on making money with their credit cards. James "Cash" Penney must be rolling in his grave.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
BestBuy is making the attempt by having a price match policy plus a 14 day money back return option. I hope they fully adjust to todays shopping trends because I like going there.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Amazon...from starting with books then to merchandise, to phones, to e-readers, to cloud computing to Alexis, etc.

I think they set the standard.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Redbox. I don't know if they are a nationwide company but they've put every video rental store around here out of business.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's just being a blue oval fan to say--Ford Motor Co

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't feel sorry for Sears and JCPenney at all, they turned into financing stores, focusing on making money with their credit cards. James "Cash" Penney must be rolling in his grave.

The sad thing about Sears is that they were the original Amazon:
They had a catalog and a big warehouse somewhere that would ship to your door anything you wanted.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
2) REI. Faced with the stiff competition of online sales, REI seems to still be bustling in their brick & mortar showrooms due to carrying only high quality gear catered to the less price sensitive shoppers that are often protected by minimum advertised pricing policies, providing actual knowledgeable (enthusiast level) staff that can make on-the-spot gear recommendations, and a 1 year return policy that allows you to buy with confidence.

OP: don't mean to 'thread drift' rather to reinforce your notion of 'upgrade for changing times';

As a poor student nearly 50 years ago it was worth the effort to drive from PDX to REI store in Seattle, to be rewarded with high grade special camping goods, a knowledgeable staff, a huge 'used/bargain' section, and the sense of outdoorsy extended community. Despite considerable evolution in both marketing focus and myself as member/customer, the pleasant/surprising degree of customer support on several occasions in 2 different stores by this company in just the last few seasons, continues to stand as a timeless virtue that reinforces the premise of 'customer service' as essential component.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coke. Been around a long time.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Google has done a great job as well. From search engine, to email, to Chrome, Android, and now Google Home and hardware.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Coke. Been around a long time.

Yea, but I'm not sure about their innovation.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
GE.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
AT&T

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crown equipment.
I am pretty sure they have changed what they make 3 times.
I do know they made quality antenna rotors for Channel Master at 1 time.

They now make Hi lift trucks for industrial use. They do a whale of a business now too. Located in New Bremen Ohio, with a couple other locations nearby.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Johnson and Johnson. Lockheed Martin.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want to read about a company that went full circle? Check out the Kodak story. George Eastman was a genius. Alas now it barely exist.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
BestBuy is making the attempt by having a price match policy plus a 14 day money back return option.

Jim

They have had that return policy since I worked there back in 2003. And they used to state that they would price match any non-Internet price; however, back in 2006, with a supervisor's approval, I received a 110% price match refund on the difference between their advertised price and what an Amazon retailer was offering.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Toyota has been at it for decades, and still remains state-of-the-art, same with Honda.

Shure has been making state-of-the-art microphones for decades, still remains on the cutting edge.

Disney has been a powerhouse entertainment company for decades, and they are at the top of the heap now.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fujifilm did a great job of changing with the times. There is a really great video that goes over their history and how they embraced the digital age. I think now their consumer digital camera and film production is only like %2 of their business.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Redbox. I don't know if they are a nationwide company but they've put every video rental store around here out of business.

Redbox is an interesting one. They've had financial problems because they have actually failed to change. They attempted to compete with Netflix by doing an online streaming service and lost (and lost a ton of money). I love red box for what it is, but I'm afraid that they won't be around forever.

Also, I'd argue that Netflix is more responsible for the demise of Blockbuster than Redbox (though both definitely had a hand in it).

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post