SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Companies that do a great job of changing with the times...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Companies that do a great job of changing with the times... Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Talk about a company caught against a paradigm shift.....

quote:
Originally posted by will347wax:
You want to read about a company that went full circle? Check out the Kodak story. George Eastman was a genius. Alas now it barely exist.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
The JC Penny thread had me thinking about all the companies that suck at changing with the times...but then also had me thinking about some of the companies that have done a masterful job of transitioning.

1) Netflix. Netflix started off as a DVD by mail only service, and the intent was to disrupt brick & mortar video rental places like Blockbuster. When the world started getting internet that was fast enough for reliable streaming video, Netflix was right there pushing instant streaming video. I remember back when you could only watch the videos on the computer, and there were only a few videos, but Netflix got streaming video right.

To be fair, Netflix never considered the DVD business anything but an interim business while ISP speeds caught up - hence the name 'Net'flix. Not taking away from their management team and strategy. Just clarifying they didn't so much change with the times as they themselves changed the times. Wink

To the list of change-masters I'll add:

Amazon (already mentioned)
Vanguard - shook up the investment industry with low fees for mutual funds and led the charge to index investing.
Nikon and Canon - both handled the transition to digital very well
Wall Street Journal - thriving on the web while many print publications went the other direction.
ARM (processor design firm) - found their niche in the embedded space and seem to be everywhere now.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by will347wax:
You want to read about a company that went full circle? Check out the Kodak story. George Eastman was a genius. Alas now it barely exist.

The ironic part of Kodak is they invented the digital camera, but the big bosses decided that it was the wrong direction for the company.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post