SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retirement Gift Ideas for my Mother
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retirement Gift Ideas for my Mother Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
My mom finally pulled the trigger and is retiring after nearly 50 years in nursing. The last two decades or so she has taught nursing at the local hospital prior to them closing their doors and finished her career teaching at Ohio State for the last 10-15.

I started looking on Amazon last night for gift ideas and they were all just crap someone would throw away after a year or so. I'm really wanting to get her something meaningful to tell her thanks for all she has done for me and to highlight her career. Obviously Dave at Mimi's Jewelry is in a strong first place, but I still need to get some ideas. Any advice would be most welcome.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
How about a nice watch.
Have the case back inscribed with her title and her many years of service or something like "with love from".

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2574 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a remarkable career!

She must have really loved teaching to stay with it for 20 years, so in that vein here are my thoughts. . .

Over the 20 year period that she taught she must have touched and enhanced the lives of thousands and thousands of nurses and other medical professionals.

Those people, her students, in turn in carrying out their duties in the medical profession helped thousands upon thousands of people and then some in their goals and struggles to heal and regain their health.

Think of the lives that your mom had an impact and influence in saving.

What she did in a big part of her career was a priceless “Pay it forward”, and for that she is truly an Angel.

My gift idea is for an Angel pendant of some type made of a precious metal and possibly adorned in some respectful and beautiful manner a precious stone (or two).

I am sure that she will love whatever you get her!

Posts: 3492 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd reach out to Dave as you mentioned. He may very likely have some good ideas. He helped us turn my dad's retirement ring into a beautiful necklace for my mom. I was really impressed with the transformation.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post