SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Medical billing scam/error/what?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medical billing scam/error/what? Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
When I got the mail today, a strange envelope caught my eye. Totally nondescript window envelope, with a crooked, rubber-stamped, P.O. Box return address. I'd ave thrown it away, but what I could see through the envelope looked like a bill.

It's a statement from "Magnolia Diagnostics" for tests performed last December. The total is almost $1,800. Absurd, I think. Then I look at the small print, and it says, "Regardless of your EOB the balance due will be $30 if paid within 20 days of receipt." No one is going to take $30 for a $1,800 bill, so I figure this has got to be a scam.

I checked with my wife, and she had taken our son in around the time of the supposed testing, so I checked our EOBs online, and sure enough there's one for that date, and it shows no payment by insurance, but reductions of the fees to about $600. My son went in because he had a cough and sore throat. My wife said they did a swab for strep and were going to test for whooping cough because it was going around. So this may have been that test. But no one said anything to her about there being additional charges and certainly not $1,800 worth. Nevertheless, I still think no one's going to take $30 for even a $600 bill. Further suspicion is raised by the fact that a Google search for the return address pulls up a number of providers at the same P.O. Box, but not Magnolia Diagnostics.

I will check with the doctor and the insurance company tomorrow for more info. I will be very surprised and dismayed if the doctor ordered $1,800 worth of tests for a simple office visit with no warning, if that's what happened. But it still wouldn't make sense for insurance not to cover it at all and the provider would allegedly take pennies on the dollar just to get paid something, unless they know that they'll never be able to collect when push comes to shove. At this point, I have no intention of paying for this, since we did not request it, and have no agreement to pay the testing company. Maybe they've encountered that too many times, and the scary statement is just their scammy way of getting people to pay $30.

Has anyone encountered something like this before?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone encountered something like this before?

Yep. First step is calling the doctors office and inquiring from there. I would not pay anything before speaking with doctor'billing office. Probably not a scam. Every EOB from insurance company has a number to call if you suspect Fraud. Call the doc first.

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I had a basic urinalysis recently, and the lab charged over 7K worth of tests leaving me an alleged $450 copay. The MD's office was aware as other patients had been scammed this way as well and handled it.

Posts: 11364 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I had a basic urinalysis recently, and the lab charged over 7K worth of tests leaving me an alleged $450 copay. The MD's office was aware as other patients had been scammed this way as well and handled it.
Doctor's office will be the first call. I forgot to mention that the invoice attempts to discourage calling the doctor's office and says to call them directly.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what happened??? Problem resolved? Thanks

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Call your insurance company. They should be able to tell you any payments made for services and any amount you would owe the providers.
All my recent insurers have online information for my account so I could see what I was billed for, how much they did or didn't pay, and what I owe myself.

Posts: 9545 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
What the EOB states should be the final word. Unless the doc rebilled or you yourself called. I'd be leery on any invoice that says to disregard your EOB.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5345 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Call your insurance company; if you don't owe anything they will call the billing service and straighten them right out.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post