SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gubbermint working on tax reform
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gubbermint working on tax reform Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
If they do like they have been on everything else, it would be way into next year, and add a lot of rules/regulations, etc.

Here is an idea:

How about FAIRTAX? Which is, as I recall, a federal sales tax. No tax forms to file, etc. Not to mention a huge reduction in federal gubbermint, especially in the IRS.

Or how about FLAT TAX? Which is, AIR, a single fixed rate tax for individuals.

Again, huge reduction in gubbermint involvement as tax returns could be done on a post card.

Both of which were never given a microsecond of consideration by elected officials.

Too many elected officials figured out that they could not use the tax system to reward friends and punish enemies.

Some discussion back when these were making the rounds indicated that

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Of all the R prospective candidates this past election, only Ted Cruz proposed a flat tax. Neither Trump nor anyone else seems to have any interest. Steve Forbes in 1992 or 1996 (I don't remember which) didn't go anywhere with his, nor did Herman Cain in 2008 with a form of flat tax (what he called "9-9-9"). I think we're in the minority here, and a tiny one at that.

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, minority about covers it. Too many politicraps have too much to lose. Just think, they can't use the tax code to reward their lobbyints/big contributors. Or, to damage their "enemies".

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flat tax would suddenly add millions of accountants to the welfare rolls. Not that I would be sad. Been wishing for that for years. I think however that Trump is likely to be more successful with tax reform than anything else at this time. He cut back the IRS which is a great start. Dealing with those people is a special kind of Hell even if you have professional help and have done nothing wrong.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Elk, unless you're in the top top percent of tax rates, why would you want a flat tax that will increase YOUR tax rate?

Mathematically, in the range of the current schedule where some people presumably pays negative income tax (that is, they receive income tax net instead of paying it) all the way to the top percent. if you're anywhere near the middle rate, for a flat tax to result in a no change in total tax revenue, the resulting flat tax will have to be higher for most tax payers and lower for the highest tax payer.

As a capitalist, that's not in my self-interest.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Flat tax would suddenly add millions of accountants to the welfare rolls. Not that I would be sad. Been wishing for that for years. I think however that Trump is likely to be more successful with tax reform than anything else at this time. He cut back the IRS which is a great start. Dealing with those people is a special kind of Hell even if you have professional help and have done nothing wrong.

Perhaps 12 years ago I was involved with a little start up company that had a really great pain relieving product. Unfortunately the guy running the company turned out to be a damned crook and the company went under. I reported him to the IRS for failing to report about 12 million bucks that he siphoned off the company.

The response I got from the agent who called me about it was, "That fish ain't big enough to fry."

So, nothing was done, the asshole moved up to the north east, started all over again, then moved out to Utah to do it again.

Turns out he was wanted in 3 states for the same kind of crap.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Under a flat tax (10%)...
The guy who makes $1,000,000 would pay $100,000 in taxes.
The guy who makes $100,000 would pay $10,000 in taxes.
The guy who makes $1,000 would pay $100 in taxes.
The guy who makes $100 would pay $10 in taxes.

To those who say "That's not FAIR!" ....
I always say:

How about a "head-tax"?
We take the cost of government, divide by the number of people, and send everyone a bill?

It's the most fair, right?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
How about a "head-tax"?
We take the cost of government, divide by the number of people, and send everyone a bill?

Nah, I want a national sales tax and an abolishment of the current taxing system. Everybody, including illegals, would pay into that system. And the best part, anytime the corrupticons in Washington wanted to hike taxes for some stupid use, 'everyone' would know and feel it. IRS goes away. April 15th filing goes away. But since this sort of system would primarily benefit us at the expense of the filth in Washington, you can bet it doesn't have a snowball's chance down south of ever being considered.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nah, I want a national sales tax and an abolishment of the current taxing system. Everybody, including illegals, would pay into that system.

I like the idea of taxing consumption rather than income.... but,
How high would it have to be?
We have a sales tax increase on the ballot here locally, which will likely pass and bring the local sales tax close to 10%.
Let's just say the national sales tax was 15% combined with a local sales tax of 10% = 25% sales tax.
I would probably go underground and barter for as many things as possible....

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Nah, I want a national sales tax and an abolishment of the current taxing system. Everybody, including illegals, would pay into that system.

We have a sales tax increase on the ballot here locally, which will likely pass and bring the local sales tax close to 10%.
Let's just say the national sales tax was 15% combined with a local sales tax of 10% = 25% sales tax.

You would have no fed. income tax though and only pay sales tax on that which you buy, not save or invest.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds great to me! Assuming savings would not be taxed, that would be a heck of a lot less than what I'm paying now.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

Sounds great to me! Assuming savings would not be taxed, that would be a heck of a lot less than what I'm paying now.

As originally proposed, the proposed federal tax was something around 8%. The problem with the federal sales tax would be that the politicraPs would be tempted/able to increase it.

Of course the same exposure exists for both flat and fair tax programs. The safest approach would be to require something like 3/4 of the house and 3/4 of the senate to agree to any increases in either plan.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You would have no fed. income tax though and only pay sales tax on that which you buy, not save or invest.

I've read about the FAIR tax and like the idea, but ... Is it politically possible?

Vice President Mike Pence supported the FAIRtax while in Congress.
https://fairtax.org/index

-rduckwor

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
The problem with the federal sales tax would be that the politicraPs would be tempted/able to increase it.
Agreed. But 'if' those "policraps" did opt to increase it, they couldn't bury that increase in thousands of pages of IRS code like they do today, and only have it impact certain societal classes. That's why I like the consumption tax idea so much. One rate for all, everybody pays, and any attempts to increase the tax rate would be very evident and felt by everyone, making doing so politically unpopular for the policraps who advocated raising it.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've read about the FAIR tax and like the idea, but ... Is it politically possible?
In a word 'No'. Any change from the current corrupt/criminal/immoral taxing system would result in a decrease in the power/control the federal government has over the people, which they would never allow. And I truly believe everything in Washington centers around protecting and growing the power of the federal government. Any other public goals they might have are a distant second.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Under a flat tax (10%)...
The guy who makes $1,000,000 would pay $100,000 in taxes.
The guy who makes $100,000 would pay $10,000 in taxes.
The guy who makes $1,000 would pay $100 in taxes.
The guy who makes $100 would pay $10 in taxes.

To those who say "That's not FAIR!" ....
I always say:

How about a "head-tax"?

The first thing that needs to happen is collecting taxes from the 47% who don't pay any (and if fact are paid to not pay any).

If they are on welfare, cut their disbursement by 10%. Otherwise, and and all income of any type is taxed at 10% across the board. Simple to administer and enforce, and we'd be rolling in money.

Sadly, it'll never happen.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first thing that needs to happen is collecting taxes from the 47% who don't pay any

That was the biggest problem with the Bush tax cuts.... they dropped millions of people from making any contribution whatsoever.

-rduckwor

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Read the books about The Fair Tax, which addresses each of those issues, and more besides.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
The reason there is no "fair tax" as you speak of it, is because it wouldn't come close to working, plain and simple.

"fair" based on income, or consumption, neither would work in the real world.

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigMaverick:
The reason there is no "fair tax" as you speak of it, is because it wouldn't come close to working, plain and simple.

"fair" based on income, or consumption, neither would work in the real world.

Sure it would. Have you studied it enough to understand it? If so, I'd like to know why you think so.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post