SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Went Diving and Ran Into Some Sharks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went Diving and Ran Into Some Sharks Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted
The family and I went to Playa Del Carmen for 9 days over Thanksgiving. Had a great time. Went on two, 2 tank dives. On the second day, dive 1 we ran into 5 bull sharks at 60 - 80 feet. We went to another site, 30 - 40 feet and ran into 5 more bull sharks. A guy I met on our dives, dives hundreds of times per year. Most of his vacations revolve around diving. Lives in West Palm Beach, Fl.

He brought his pro diving camera on all the dives and shot the video below.

This was not a specific "dive with sharks" trip where they bring food down and feed the sharks. This was a dive where we ran into some sharks, and then stayed there for a while to watch and observe them.

We had a GREAT time at the Royal Haciendas. Will be going back.

Resort:
https://royalreservations.com/...F8aTqq4aAqzWEALw_wcB

The dive shop, Dive Balam, is on site. Great group of folks. We'll be going diving with them again.

Let me know if you can't see the video properly... I've never posted my own video on youtube.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
That's a memory that will last a lifetime!

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Lucky You. I have dove Playa and Cozy and have only managed to see a single shark in ten or so dive trips there.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Nopefish.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43901 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Surface! NOW!!!!!!!

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
You can just hose out a wetsuit, can't you?

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I looked it up and urine doesn't repel sharks

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have wished to have a bang stick, rather than pole spear. They were incredibly close, that was impressive.

-c1steve

Posts: 4055 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've had the good fortune to be close to dangerous beasts a few times, it is a very stimulating and for me anyway....a humbling experience.

Had a lioness at 30 feet in RSA , that wanted to take a springbok , one of the party had just shot. She had stopped and I had my .338-06 trained on her. But when she came running IN, it was very intense.

Had a close encounter with a big grizzly out in western MT once too....NO gun available in that situation.

We think we are SO SUPERIOR with our big brains and opposable thumbs. I think it's good for us to get "humbled" a bit by something that can eat us.

Great video!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
So many nopes.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Those sharks appear to be associating SCUBA divers with food. You see this kind of congregation and approach behavior a lot around Freeport and Bimini in the Bahamas, where there are a lot of outfits conducting shark encounter dives. Thirty years ago you would never have seen Bull sharks acting this way. They would swim to maybe 30-40' away and then leave, or circle for a moment and then come in for a 'bump and bite'. Good quality video, not my cup of tea anymore, but I'm sure that was an exciting dive.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Nice - looks like a fun trip.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Those sharks appear to be associating SCUBA divers with food. You see this kind of congregation and approach behavior a lot around Freeport and Bimini in the Bahamas, where there are a lot of outfits conducting shark encounter dives. Thirty years ago you would never have seen Bull sharks acting this way. They would swim to maybe 30-40' away and then leave, or circle for a moment and then come in for a 'bump and bite'. Good quality video, not my cup of tea anymore, but I'm sure that was an exciting dive.

So... what he does…he has his spear. When he sees a shark he spears a permit fish. This causes the fish to freak out and flutter all around. That calls in the sharks. That was all he did.

In the video, around the :50 second mark, you can see he has a fish on the spear, then he releases it as the shark gets close. I think he was hoping the shark would eat the fish there. The fish swam up to the surface, and all the sharks went up there. Then, they came back down about 3 minutes later.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:In the video, around the :50 second mark, you can see he has a fish on the spear, then he releases it as the shark gets close. I think he was hoping the shark would eat the fish there. The fish swam up to the surface, and all the sharks went up there. Then, they came back down about 3 minutes later.

Nice video. But playing that game will bulls will get someone bit soon. Happens now and again over in the Bahamas.

I've been in and around a lot of big sharks (unplanned), bulls I never turn my back on.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Negative, Ghost Rider.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
No...hell no!

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Shark Not-o

Posts: 7360 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
What was the fish at the 2:10 mark? A cobia?

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vic40204
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I looked it up and urine doesn't repel sharks

Did it say anything about feces?

Vic Johnson

Posts: 798 | Location: Augusta, Georgia. | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43901 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post