SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Google's New Slogan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Google's New Slogan Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
Dennis Prager
Jine 5, 2018

The original slogan of Google was "Don't be evil." When Google changed its corporate name to Alphabet in 2015, it changed the slogan to "Do the right thing."

If it were to be true to its values, Google should have changed its slogan from "Don't be evil" to "Don't fight evil."

Here is The New York Times report from this past Friday: "Google, hoping to head off a rebellion by employees upset that the technology they were working on could be used for lethal purposes, will not renew a contract with the Pentagon for artificial intelligence work ...

"Google's work with the Defense Department on the Maven program, which uses artificial intelligence to interpret video images and could be used to improve the targeting of drone strikes, roiled the internet giant's work force. Many of the company's top A.I. researchers, in particular, worried that the contract was the first step toward using the nascent technology in advanced weapons. ...

"About 4,000 Google employees signed a petition demanding 'a clear policy stating that neither Google nor its contractors will ever build warfare technology.'"

CBS News reported that the petition also said, "We believe that Google should not be in the business of war."

In other words, to the heads of Google and thousands of its elite employees, it is immoral to aid in the defense of their country, and all war is immoral.

Google and these 4,000 employees embody two terrible traits: moral idiocy and ingratitude.

Moral idiocy is the ability to be brilliant in any area of life except the single most important area of life, morality. With regard to morality, such people are fools.

The United States has been the greatest force for liberty and goodness in world history. It has been so by modeling a free society and through the power of the idea of freedom, and even more so by force -- brute physical force.

Through force of arms, America and its allies defeated Germany in World War I and World War II.

Through force of arms, America imposed democracy and liberty on West Germany and led to the dissolution of East Germany.

Through force of arms, the Holocaust -- the genocide of Europe's Jews and millions of others in Nazi concentration and death camps -- ended. If Google existed then, would its employees have demanded Google "not be in the business of war"?

Through force of arms, America was able to impose democracy and liberty on Japan.

Through force of arms, America liberated Asian countries from the Nazi-like Japanese imperialists.

Through force of arms, America enabled the majority of Koreans to live free rather than under the most totalitarian regime in modern history, North Korea.

Through force of arms, Israel has survived 70 years of Arab, and now Iranian, attempts to annihilate it. Arms ended the Holocaust in Europe, and arms prevent a second Holocaust of Jews in the Middle East.

Only a moral idiot does not understand the moral necessity of weapons of war being in the hands of decent countries.

Which brings us to the second trait of Google and its employees: ingratitude.

Google and its employees live better than almost any human beings in the world. They do so because they live in the freest and most opportunity-giving country in the world, the United States of America.

That Google and its employees refuse to work on the military defense of their country is an expression of ingratitude (not to mention absence of patriotism) that is simply breathtaking.

How did we produce such foolish and ungrateful people?

They are the products of left-wing education and the left-wing media, and of living in the left-wing cocoon of Northern California and its tech industry.

Google should be true to its convictions and change just one word of its original slogan from "Don't be evil" to "Don't fight evil."

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many of the company's top A.I. researchers, in particular, worried that the contract was the first step toward using the nascent technology in advanced weapons. ...

Judgement Day, August 29th is the day Skynet becomes self-aware. ... It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Use DuckDuckGo for searches.
Ditch your Google e-mail.
Apple is leftist, but a worthy adversary to Google that has secure e-mail and other alternatives to Google.
Google delenda est.

Posts: 18079 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine sitting in the break room listening to these liberal panty waste fucktards going on and on about the "military industrial complex" and how horrible republicans are and evil trump is and how awesome CA is for it's "progressive" policies, etc., etc.,etc., Yuck!

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Google . . . will not renew a contract with the Pentagon for artificial intelligence work ...
Good, give the contract to Microsoft or whoever.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
Can you imagine sitting in the break room listening to these liberal panty waste fucktards going on and on about the "military industrial complex" and how horrible republicans are and evil trump is and how awesome CA is for it's "progressive" policies, etc., etc.,etc., Yuck!

Sure. Just go to work for NSA!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Google's slogan should be:
"We know everything you type, say, and coming soon... think"

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37984 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Use DuckDuckGo for searches.

Been doing that for ages.

quote:
Ditch your Google e-mail.

I haven't ditched it, but I hardly use it for anything. Never really did.

quote:
Apple is leftist,

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the entire IT world is primarily libertarian, liberal or leftist. In my associations, both IRL and on-line, very, very few IT types I've met were what I'd call "conservative."

Not "none," mind you. Just very few. Mostly libertarian or liberal. Of the remainder: I'd say more leftists than conservatives.

YMMV, I suppose.

quote:
but a worthy adversary to Google that has secure e-mail and other alternatives to Google.

Better privacy, too.

quote:
Google delenda est.

Good luck with that Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Mgmt sets a direction. A few ungrateful, idiotic snowflakes sign a petition and mgmt changes their mind? Or should I say lost their mind - again?

Not that them pulling out of this program is a bad thing. I have my doubts about the competencies of this company anyway, especially for something like this.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty ironic considering that without DOD funding ARPANET there might not even be an internet today for Google to exploit for their own profit.

Posts: 2487 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
But yet they’re quick to get in bed with Communists: https://www.afp.com/en/news/82...w-leader-doc-15m3xy1

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3974 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Just got my popup notice from Google on the many ways I should be celebrating Gay Pride....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Arrogant elitist who actually believe they are the moral leaders of the world, and that the thousands who died to grant them their freedoms don't even deserve recognition.

Liberalism and tolerance is defined as cowardice.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many of those 4,000 employees had or would have actually worked on the project. Given the aggressive role some silicon companies have played in pressing for more rather than fewer H-1 visas, I also kinda wonder how many of those 4,000 employees were actually U.S. citizens.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While idiotic for the employees, shit like this is what happens when the defense industry and DoD leaves Silicon Valley thus, looses influence.

From the mid-50's to through the 2000's, defense industry titans like Lockheed, Fairchild, Martin-Marietta, BAE, Raytheon, had major offices, research and production next to the likes of IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, AMD, Xerox-Parc, and Apple. The M113 APC and M2 Bradley infantry fighting vehicle, was built by FMC in Santa Clara. Flights constantly rotated in/out of nearby Moffitt NAS in Mountain View with USAF occupying a number of facilities dedicated to satellite communications. The dotcom boom dramatically increased real estate values & wages, combined with the Base Realignment Closures of the 90's which hit the SF Bay Area hard, resulted in whole segments of the defense sector moving out of the region entirely. As the dotcom crash subsided the tech boom ramped-up, they filled-in where the big defense giants once were. Today, in a region that was once quite moderate and enthusiastic about national defense, you now have wide swaths of technology-leftists, with many who know nobody involved in national defense or, government work. In a region that lives in a bubble, none is a greater bubble than Silicon Valley.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post