SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Rise and Fall of the American Mall
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Rise and Fall of the American Mall Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

Posts: 107712 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I personally hope that malls can make a comeback. Maybe there doesn’t need to be as many, but I still like shopping malls.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True confession; I got a DVD of "Wonder Woman 1984" as the mall scenes in the early movie were filmed in the "dead" Landmark Mall I frequented often until it closed. It's been bulldozed since then.

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I left a small rural town in 1965 and moved to a large twin city environment to attend college. On the way into town, there was construction in a former corn field on the East edge of town. Not having a car, I didn't get off campus much. However I did observe a huge building rising out of the construction site whenever I found a ride home for the holidays or breaks.

When I returned to start my second year, there was talk of a "mall" on the edge of town. I soon had a car and traveled to see this. I was amazed at the size and variety of stores. It was a great and cheap place for dates and I went there often. There was a huge grocery store and a Walgreens that had the largest liquor section I had ever seen.

Three years after graduation and the Army, I returned to town married to one of the dates I had taken to the mall and with a baby. We bought lots of things at the mall and since we were living in a mobile home, we hurried there whenever there were storm warnings. Our family grew, we got better jobs, and bought stereos, tv's, and furniture at the mall. I bought suits, shirts and ties there. I bought my first set of radial tires (nylon) at J.C. Penney. A very high end department store had one of the nicest display of S&W's and Colts. I had ever seen. I saw my first of many new models including the very nice nickel models. I saw my first M-29 upstairs from the theater where I saw Dirty Harry.

Sears, J.C. Penney and other stores fled the once thriving downtown area for the mall. The largest employer in town built their new headquarters next door and a large hospital also relocated to the East side. Over the next 50 years, the center of town rushed East. Thousands of new homes were built and many thousands of new people moved in.

Now, it is in disrepair, mostly abandoned, and the anchor stores are all gone except for Kohl's. I witnessed the birth and death of an American institution since I moved here.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Any child of the 80's and 90's in New Jersey (and no doubt other places) knows what a big part malls played in his or life. Good times, good times.

I'd hate to see them go the way of the dodo as well.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30425 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
No Orange Julius at our mall anymore...what's the point?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4621 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Internet shopping with better selection and prices, retail crime and urban yout's using them for shootouts, lifestyle changes and a number of other things are about to put most of them under forever.
A few in very special circumstances will survive but the mall of the 70' and 80's, gone.

Posts: 9538 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve always disliked malls and done my best to avoid going shopping in them.

Posts: 26937 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I’ve always disliked malls and done my best to avoid going shopping in them.

Same here, mostly because the sq ft rent cost is very high and I know I'm paying for it.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Even as a much younger guy, my back always hurt shuffling around a mall. Hard floors, slow pace, I dunno why. Walking a lot of golf rounds never bothered me.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8361 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1991 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Sadly it seems so many brick and mortar stores, especially clothing, are a thing of the past. Things come and go. A mall was such a good idea as you had tons of stores along with a food court in an air conditioned environment; especially in harsh environments.

One of my first investigative jobs was working loss prevention at JCPenney in a major mall catching shoplifters and employees stealing. The mall was like its own world and was really cool to work in at a young age. It started my career.

I experienced a lot of stuff there! Unfortunately our store was next to the city bus stop so we had tons of through traffic and gangs LOVED the mall back then. A Friday or Saturday night was 200% different than daytime hours. You would see the shock on family’s faces as they rushed out of the mall on the weekend once it got dark. We had to have 3 off-duty cops working with us in just our store due to how bad the violence was on Fridays and Saturdays. The work I did back then I would NEVER do now with how bad violence has increased. We had a wall of weapons seized from so much stuff as gangs would do initiations to have members try to successfully steal from us as we were known for catching people. Got into a lot of fights with knives and guns pulled. Crazy!!!!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mall here in MQT has been circling the drain for a while now. The only bright spot has been the opening of a Dunhams at one end of the mall.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Any child of the 80's and 90's in New Jersey (and no doubt other places) knows what a big part malls played in his or life. Good times, good times.

I'd hate to see them go the way of the dodo as well.

Absolutely. Even before I worked in one, I was a teenager going to the mall every weekend to hang out, go to Spencer Gifts, go to the music stores, eat in the food court, and flirt with girls. Such great times! I won’t forget that back then Chick-Fil-A was only in malls. I liked them and then the first time I saw a free standing one I laughed saying who is going to go eat at a mall food store. How wrong I was!!!!!

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up and a young teen during the late 80's we would cruise the mall on Friday nights to look for girls. When the mall closed we would then cruise Atlantic Avenue at Virginia Beach. Good times !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The mall here in MQT has been circling the drain for a while now. The only bright spot has been the opening of a Dunhams at one end of the mall.

Austin, TX had 4 malls back in the day. Now 2 are left and they are circling the drain.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The need for high margins due to high overhead was a major factor.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eddie DeBartolo invented the mall and made a fortune.It allowed his kid to buy the 49ers until he got into some trouble.

Posts: 17267 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I can't recall the name of the mall or even its exact location, but there was one in Phoenix that was pretty much a "no-go" because of all the crime. And this was 15 years ago.

Posts: 27991 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Most malls have been leveraged to the hilt. There is little equity left. As soon as the loans come due or a group of tenants leave, the owners will be handing the keys back for the bank. Seen it too many times.

Sad thing is, the guy that forecloses on the loan typically buys it back for Pennie’s on the dollar. Total shit deal for the banks.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post