SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Rise and Fall of the American Mall
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Rise and Fall of the American Mall Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I recall that about 40 years ago and longer, each mall within 50 miles of me had a "Tinderbox" store in them in which you could purchase pipes, pipe tobacco, cigars, and cigarettes that you couldn't find anywhere else...
Yes, they were bought out by Bong World.

OK, I made that up. Sorry

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I recall that about 40 years ago and longer, each mall within 50 miles of me had a "Tinderbox" store in them in which you could purchase pipes, pipe tobacco, cigars, and cigarettes that you couldn't find anywhere else...
Yes, they were bought out by Bong World.

OK, I made that up. Sorry

Ha!!! Anything is possible!

Posts: 6632 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sad to watch this. I do indeed miss the mall. I would only go twice a year. But it was where I’d go to buy clothing, especially work clothing. We have a twice a year no sales tax on clothing sale. The Macy’s at my local mall, close to the house, would in combination with the tax deal with the state, slash their prices on clothing. And they would allow you to go in many days early. You would pay for your items, all on the discounted prices, with no tax, and they bagged them up. You could pick them up during or after the sales weekend. So once a year I’d examine the work clothes, workout clothes, etc, and hit that deal up on like the Monday before the coming weekend the madness started. They’d use these clear trash bags to bag all my shit up. It was amazing to spend $300 and get bags of stuff, getting slacks for $15-20, work shirts for $20, socks, shoes, I’d case the entire store as nobody was in there.

Then I’m a sneaker head so if I had some down time I’d hit the mall up during a slow time (never on a weekend) and check out the different sneaker stores. Also go by the Sears if I needed something for the kitchen, new appliance, or a tool. Wasn’t as big or as nice as the mall where I grew up but they had the food court, etc, with a couple of places of actually pretty decent food. Better places than drive thru.

You couldn’t pay me to go in there from November to February, nor in the summer but the months outside of that it was a nice to have thing just 5 or so minutes from the house. We have a few left but they are all a considerable drive and like he talked about, real slow, with plenty of empty stores. As much as people like to go to the shops I’m still surprised by the failure rate. People here, their main hobbies are going out to eat and shopping.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12650 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recall that about 40 years ago and longer, each mall within 50 miles of me had a "Tinderbox" store in them in which you could purchase pipes, pipe tobacco, cigars, and cigarettes that you couldn't find anywhere else, foreign brands like Balkan Sobranie, and the French ones, I forget their name. I remember buying Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture pipe tobacco and the Balkan Sobranie 759, which was my favorite. I also used to buy nice cigars there. Those stores disappeared about 30 years ago or so. Too bad, like a lot of other things that are gone.

I remember that there were small knife shops in malls, too. Not any more, but the big online retailers are cool in that they carry everything. But in all of Houston, there is not one really good knife retailer. There are a few that each carry one or two lines, but no one carrying a wide selection.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

they were bought out by Bong World. OK, I made that up. Sorry
It's a real thing! https://www.bongworld.ca

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

That website looks like something from 1998.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
That website looks like something from 1998.
I never heard of them before. I just thought that parabellum's post was funny, and that inspired me to google for "bong world," and this one showed up.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Yep, V-Tail, I just was tickled by the crude website.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post