SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend me a half-mask respirator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend me a half-mask respirator Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I need to be more conscientious about dust and smoke when working in the shop. A lot of grinding, wire-wheeling, sanding and welding going on, all of which create inhalation hazards.

I've been wearing ordinary cloth/textile nuisance dust masks which help, but A) they're not particularly effective and B) they cause my glasses to fog up and I can't see what I'm doing.

Thinking probably a cartridge type but the single most important thing is that it fits so that it doesn't fog my glasses.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15178 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I use an N100 3M respirator … the classic with the pink filters. Snap it around your neck, then pull it over your head. I work with a lot of abrasives and metals which neither is good for your lungs. But you got a pull off that respirator to take a tug on that stogie. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I use an N100 3M respirator … the classic with the pink filters. Snap it around your neck, then pull it over your head. I work with a lot of abrasives and metals which neither is good for your lungs. But you got a pull off that respirator to take a tug on that stogie. Wink

Before I retired I used that same N100 3M Respirator. As I was told, it was pretty much the Cadilac of that style respirator.

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
As I suspected (and confirmed via other sources) 3M is the go-to for respirators.

I ordered this one and some P100 filters.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15178 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Timely thread...I will be performing a 'Carbon Clean' on my son's Audi S5 w/ 32V 4.2L V8, and will using the walnut abrasive blasting method. I ordered the the following:

3M 6502QL (Quick Latch) Respirator --> https://www.amazon.com/3M-Pers...494904/dp/B00IF7RBS4

3M 2097 P100 Filters (w/ Carbon Layer) --> https://www.amazon.com/3M-Part...097PA1/dp/B007STCT00

Thanks Guys! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8777 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post