SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marines have run out of cammies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marines have run out of cammies Login/Join 
posted
I find it very hard to believe that this can be blamed entirely on COVID, and not on several people in the supply chain that were not proactive. We're in Q4 of 2023, the pandemic excuse doesn't work anymore, somebody fucked-up

Marines Authorized to Wear Desert Pattern Uniform at Commanders' Discretion Amid Cammie Shortage
quote:
Marine Corps commanders down to the battalion and squadron level are allowed to authorize troops to wear desert pattern uniforms or flame-resistant gear, also known as FROGs, amid an ongoing uniform shortage in the service, top leaders announced Thursday.

Gen. Eric Smith, the newly confirmed Marine Corps commandant, and Sgt. Maj. Carlos Ruiz, the service's top enlisted leader, formally acknowledged the shortage of woodland camouflage uniforms and announced the decision to allow flexibility on uniforms in a video message to Marines.

The shortage of the woodland Marine pattern, or MARPAT, uniforms that serve as the primary daily utility attire for troops across the service began plaguing military clothing outlets when the COVID-19 pandemic interrupted supply chains around the world and has yet to abate.

"I can't get cammies," Smith said in the video posted to Instagram Thursday. "That problem is going to stay with us until the fall of 2024 when the manufacturer can fill the backlog that has been created after COVID."

Until that logjam has been resolved, Marines are adapting by authorizing the wear of other uniforms.

Posts: 14691 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
What in the Hell is going on, someone has dropped the ball.

I bet the Commandant and SgtMaj of the Marine Corps have plenty.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
This is beyond embarrassing.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15624 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, they could go back to wearing Class Bs or whatever was worn when not in the field prior to cammo being worn everywhere.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Well, they could go back to wearing Class Bs or whatever was worn when not in the field prior to cammo being worn everywhere.

That was my thought, they can just wear their Charlie's when not out in the field.

Posts: 14691 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
The problem with wearing dress uniforms (Alpha's, Bravos and or Charlies or Blues) for that matter is that its not practical with certain MOS's. Admin types yes but I don't think it would be ok for say a Motor T Mechanic, Grunt, Supply etc...

Their are a lot of work environments that do wear A, B and C or modified Blues uniforms daily or even coveralls or street clothes example Embassy duty.

The chain of command needs to take ownership of the fuckup and deal with it ASAP.

Just the opinion from an old Marine who's been there and done that.

SSgt USMC
1977-1985

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
It feels like the Carter administration all over again. Couldn’t get a helicopter to fly. I’m surprised China hasn’t invaded at this point. I guess they are waiting for our own government to disarm us first.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7963 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Call Ukraine, they got plenty!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8395 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's a good thing R Lee Ermey is not around any longer, Gunny Hartman would have had a few words with the supply people that screwed this one up:

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Seems to be plenty of OCP available. Am too I simple to understand?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
It feels like the Carter administration all over again.
Yea, I remember that shit. Couldn't take all six howitzers out for training; either not enough people or lack of $$ for Class IX.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I heard the new shipment has arrived ordered by one of the woke generals. The design prototype photo was found tucked deeply in an E-tank manual.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just go to the Zelensky military surplus store, or Taliban surplus in Afghanistan, these places have everything we need to equip our military.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whomever allowed that to happen needs to be fired . Covid my ass .

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Seems like plenty of incompetence and lack of planning to go around on this - all the way up to the Commander in Chief (that's sort of the reason for that title). Good thing they don't have to plan something like the logistics of taking back a bunch of islands in the Pacific.

Looks even worse when you don't have the replacement clothes available.
quote:
What we cannot have is a situation where a Marine is wearing unserviceable cammies, because that looks bad for the Corps

Yea sure, because no one in the federal government grasped the concept that shutting something down meant that nothing was being produced.
quote:
interrupted supply chains around the world

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
The problem with wearing dress uniforms (Alpha's, Bravos and or Charlies or Blues) for that matter is that its not practical with certain MOS's. Admin types yes but I don't think it would be ok for say a Motor T Mechanic, Grunt, Supply etc...

Their are a lot of work environments that do wear A, B and C or modified Blues uniforms daily or even coveralls or street clothes example Embassy duty.

The chain of command needs to take ownership of the fuckup and deal with it ASAP.

SSgt USMC
1977-1985

I've been there and done that to.

My point was that for decades each branch of the service was able to get along without everyone wearing cammo all the time in every job.

In my opinion it should never have changed to what it is now.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:

SSgt USMC
1977-1985

I've been there and done that to.

My point was that for decades each branch of the service was able to get along without everyone wearing cammo all the time in every job.

In my opinion it should never have changed to what it is now.

Everyone needs to remember that camo is just the pattern which has become like a generic name. The actual correct name of the uniform are Utilities...

I started out in boot camp I was issuied 4 sets of utilities 2 cammo ( the lighter green Nam era version with the slanted pockets and 2 sets of Sateens ( not the herringbone ) I'm not that old Corps.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Seems to be plenty of OCP available. Am too I simple to understand?

That's an Army/AF design and pattern

The USMC MARPAT is actually trademarked with the EGA:

Authentic MARPAT material is distinguishable by a miniature "Eagle, Globe, and Anchor" emblem incorporated into the pattern above the letters "USMC", in both the woodland and desert patterns

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I do understand the difference. I don't understand the why. Mostly kidding.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I figured they killed them all, but it says cAmmies not cOmmies.

Posts: 11016 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post