SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When you leave a voicemail, do you include information?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you leave a voicemail, do you include information? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Whenever you call someone and get their voicemail do you state what your call pertains to or do you just say “Call me back"?

99% of the time when I call back, I get no answer. It sure would have been nice to know why you called.

Those few times that people do leave detailed messages, when I call them back they reiterate the entire voicemail.

I honestly don’t know which to prefer.

Please, leave details in your voicemail and when they call back and say they got your voicemail you don’t have to repeat yourself.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is just me, but 99% of the time when I'm calling someone I either have their e-mail address or cell phone number. So if they don't answer I don't bother to leave a message. I either send an e-mail or a text.

On the rare occasion when I don't have an e-mail address or phone number, I leave a brief, but detailed message so at least they know what I'm calling about.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Depends on who I’m calling. Family and friends? Absolutely. Everyone else is in a gradient.

Posts: 17203 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If i want a call back I leave the reason for my call in voicemail.

Asshats who call me and leave nada get just that from me...nada. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Depends on who I’m calling. Family and friends? Absolutely. Everyone else is in a gradient.

This. Depends on what I require and how much they need to know.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I provide highly detailed messages with the hopes that the recipient has all of the actionable information necessary to get whatever I need done before they call me back.

The optimal outcome for me is getting a voicemail or email back that says, "I got your message. Thanks. I took care of it."

The next best outcome is that the other party is actually prepared to discuss when they call me back.

It's been years since I've called anyone just to chit chat.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
If it's someone whom I call frequently I just say "Give me a call back when you can"

If its a sensitive topic I will not leave that info on a VM, otherwise I do leave info.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If I leave a message, I introduce myself, leave my phone number with a brief message and then repeat my name and phone number.

99% of the time though, if it’s an option, I just hang up and send a text. I seem to have way better luck getting responses via text.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Early on in my professional career I was dressed down by a retired Marine Gunnery Sergeant over a voice mail I left. Since then I have tried to use this format for messages, because well, the Gunny was right.

The date and time of my call.
My name.
The phone number where I can be reached.
My message (no longer than 15 seconds), including a statement about any need for action (e.g., if a callback is required).
My name.
The phone number where I can be reached.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31481 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Thats a good format, can't say how many times I've got VM where they speak name and phone number so fast you have to rewind it a few times to get the information, repeat the phone number and your name at the start and end, it really helps.

Get plenty of VM with call me back, in half the cases if I could have had their question up front I could call with the answer vs having to get the problem and then call back again after researching the question...

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
If it's a friend and that just call call back, I do.

If it's someone I don't know and they say call back, I erase the voicemail and don't call back.

If they can't be bothered to tell me what they want, I can't be bothered to waste my time calling them back.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get several business calls per year that go something like, "This is Bob, and I have a question on your assessment of my house." "Click." I added caller ID, but frequently Bob has that blocked, or he called from work where there's no way to figure out who he is.

Bob then later gripes that I never returned his call...

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I rarely use voicemail any more, but if I leave a message I leave my name and number, why I am calling and then my name and number again.

Family and friends know to text me, but if a stranger leaves a message that just says 'call me' I just chuckle as I delete it and block their number - but it's rare for a number I don't know to get thru my call filters.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What chaps my backside is when people rattle off their phone number as fast as they can, as though I've heard it a thousand times and then, don't repeat it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course. These days etiquette is lacking. You state your name clearly and repeat your phone number twice. Cursing into the voicemail is considered low class.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't call any one back that I don't know unless they leave a detailed message that makes sense to me.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that reeling off the phone number so fast like a kid who is reciting his ABCs. I hate having to play back a message three or four times to get understand the name and number.

Something else to consider: the person you call at a business may not pick up their own voicemail. Someone else (assistant, secretary, paralegal) may play it back and write phone message slips for them. The person writing the message down likely does not recognize your voice if all you say is “call me.” It may be somebody else listening to your funny but embarrassing message. If you leave fifteen minute messages I hate you. There is no way to get it all down without playing it over and over and over. Name and number slowly and clearly and a BRIEF message as to why you are calling will do.

Posts: 404 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
A lot of times I do leave a VM.

What I love, and one of my best friends is guilty of this, is when I leave a detailed message as to the reason for my call (and a call-back isn't necessary), and when the party calls back, they haven't bothered to listen to my voicemail and say, "Hey...saw you called" and I have to repeat the whole gd thing over again. I've been VERY tempted to just say, "Listen to your gd voicemail" and hang up, but that would just burn a bridge. Probably...

Yeah...first world problems, I guess.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If I want someone to respond back, I leave my name, number, what it’s about and my number again

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I would hang up before the voicemail prompts the recording.
If it's important, then I leave a message, if not, then hang up the call before the recording and try again until you reach the person.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post