SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a new garage door, what should I know, what should I pay?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a new garage door, what should I know, what should I pay? Login/Join 
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted
Actually, I will need two garage doors, both standard size, 7’ tall by 9’ wide.

The track on the most-used door is twisted and refuses to stay repaired. These doors are more than 50 years old, solid wood with windows. The hinges on the doors are mismatched and the screws securing them regularly work themselves loose… which I assume is causing the tracks to warp.

I’m up for replacing them. Don’t need anything fancy or stylish but would like to have windows. Is there any advantage to paying for insulated doors? We live in CT and I don’t have a workbench or stay in the garage for extended periods.

What should I be looking for in new garage doors? What should I expect to pay including installation?

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
It’s been a couple of years since I retired from my construction company but my advise is to get insulated doors. We used Wayne Dalton garage doors (8500 series if I remember correctly). The insulated doors will keep your garage more moderate as far as temps are concerned.

The price was around $2500-3000 per door if I remember correctly. But prices may have gone up. This includes a new operator as well.

https://www.wayne-dalton.com/c...rage-doors-8300-8500

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Imagine that the insulated doors would help with some temp control, the new doors have all kinds of styles. New door motors with BT and the MyQ app would be good, you can monitor if doors are open or closed, and run them from wherever you are as long as you have access to the internet.

Be sure to have them put poly wheels on the doors not steel, makes the doors run smooth and quiet.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insulated doors also muffle some of the noise . Inside and out . I don't find them to do an amazing job with temperature control but there is a bit of a benefit .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The Carriage House stye doors look a lot better on most homes in my opinion and can add to the value.
We bought the Clopay brand last time and were happy with them.

https://www.clopaydoor.com/residential-garage-doors

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't know what to suggest for the doors themselves, but when I had my garage door serviced, the fantastic guy/company that did it recommended:
1. Replacing original rollers with sealed nylon rollers
2. Dual counter-balance springs in lieu of just one big single spring (one spring tends to torque the door more when operating)
3. I recommend a belt driven opener; it is MUCH quieter than a chain drive.
4. And yes...the tracks will probably need to be replaced since they keep going out of alignment.

Good luck!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
We've been through this (replacing garage doors) on two occasions over the past year, in my family.
Our house was 2x 7x9' doors, Clopay brand. New rails, springs, etc. Installed by local company for a total of $2,500. We went with metal, insulated, with a faux woodgrain finish on the exterior.
My mom recently had an odd-duck size door (16x7.5', if I remember correctly)installed by the same company. Basic white in color, also Clopay brand, metal, and insulated. Total was $2400 and some change.
Insulation does help with keeping the temperature somewhat moderate.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Negative. Liftmaster direct drive is the only way to go.

Posts: 20106 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Research what gauge steel the different manufactures are using. Decide what gauge you want. Get multiple estimates, that compare like constructed doors. I went through this last year and ended up getting an insulated Horman Tucana door and a belt driven Horman opener. Big improvement over the older Stanley door that it replaced and it is much quieter, and the garage temperature is less extreme.

https://www.hormann.us/residential/

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Wouldn't know what to suggest for the doors themselves, but when I had my garage door serviced, the fantastic guy/company that did it recommended:
1. Replacing original rollers with sealed nylon rollers
2. Dual counter-balance springs in lieu of just one big single spring (one spring tends to torque the door more when operating)
4. And yes...the tracks will probably need to be replaced since they keep going out of alignment.

Good luck!

I'd agree with most of this.
No idea on replacement cost or source, but we have wood veneered (1/4" think I believe) & foam insulated doors (3).
All are on Marantec belt drive openers.
Don't recall if they're on nylon wheels, but we did that upgrade on out last house & it definitely quieted it down a bit.
I think we have dual springs on our doors, but can't recall.

Temperature is usually noticeably cooler in the summer, and not nearly as cold as outside ambient in the winter.

If I ever have to replace an opener, I'll be looking into the wall-mounted units that tie directly to the system without belts/chains.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I am having two 7' X 10' doors replaced including tracks and openers for $5,000.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
If your going to buy a galvanized steel door sooner is much better than later. Steel this time last year was $600/ton +/-. Now closing in on $2,000/ton. Paint prices are increasing in a similar fashion. I'm sure the price increases are already filtering down to the consumer but will increase rapidly soon.

I bought a Sommer garage door opener, nothing quieter or simpler.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'll be replacing my garage door before too long. I'll definitely get the insulated door. I think the insulated door is well worth the money. My garage faces the West and it gets so dang hot in there.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I had an insulated door it faced west in the afternoon Texas heat. It would get direct sun from about 1PM till about 8pm. I measured the temp of the inside and outside skin on 105 degree day around 6pm with and infrared thermometer. The door had been shut all day. Floor of the garage was 90 and inside skin was 98. The outside was 147. Before the insulated door, insulation with radiant barrier in the garage attic, it would get up to 147 in the garage in the late afternoon.

So it depends on your situation as to how much an insulated door would matter.

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the good advice. I am vastly more informed now.

Also, I already have Sommer openers for the doors… I highly recommend them.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents.

If you have an attached garage. Get insulation. If you use the garage often for more than parking the cars, get the inner metal skin. It will protect the insulation from getting torn up.

I know you asked for "installed", but if you are the least bit mechanically inclined and have a helper, it's not a big deal to do it your self. I installed a 7x9 Clopay in 1 day. Cost me about $350 for the door. 8 years later still working fine, Looks same as installed.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post