SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Revised 4473 forms coming April 1..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revised 4473 forms coming April 1.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
10 new changes to the form. I will need my glasses, a few extra minutes to complete the added stupidity. Not that any of it is applicable due my age. Joy, I cant wait to see one.

Posts: 17918 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
What are the changes?

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It needs to have meaningful questions added like, Are you sure, you is you? Or, Do you like dogs? Or, you enjoy firearms a bunch, dontcha? Its a shy longer but formatted much the same. Seppin for added mention of ammo and young folks.

Posts: 17918 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post
Significant changes in the Revised Form are as follows:

Any firearm, received by a FFL, that was privately made (not manufactured by another licensee) must now be recorded on the ATF Form 4473. “Privately Made Firearm (PMF)” has been added to item 1, Section A. It now reads: “Manufacturer and Importer, if any or Privately made firearm (PMF) (If the manufacturer and importer are both different, include both)”.

Question 10 is revised: The transferee/buyer is now asked to answer whether they “Reside in City Limits?” regarding their residence address. For example, if a transferee lists their residence city/state as Phoenix, Arizona but they actually reside outside of the city, they will answer “no” to this item.
The following two prohibiting questions have been added to Section B:

21b: “Do you intend to purchase or acquire any firearm listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) or ammunition, for sale of other disposition to any person described in questions 21(c)-(m) or to a person described in question 21.n.1 who does not fall within a nonimmigrant exception?”

c.: “Do you intend to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) or ammunition in furtherance of any felony or other offense punishable by imprisonment for a term of more than one year, a federal crime of terrorism, or a drug trafficking offense?”
To comply with the BSCA 10-day waiting period on certain transfers involving transferees under the age of 21, Section C of the Form has been revised as follows:

Prior to the NICS/POC information, an instructional header has been added stating: “Notice: If transferee/buyer is under 21, a waiting period of up to 10 days may apply where notification from NICS is received within 3 business days to further investigate a possible disqualifying juvenile record. A NICS check is only valid for 30 calendar days from the date recorded in question 27a.”

Item 27.c. was amended to show the date an FFL may transfer a firearm should NICS or the State agency (conducting the background check) not reply stating more time is needed for the check. It now reads next to the delayed check box: “The firearm(s) may be transferred on ____ if time period is not extended by NICS or the appropriate State agency, and State law allows (optional).”

A box has been added to 27.d. should NICS or the appropriate State agency delay the check as more time is needed to conduct it on a transferee under 21 years of age. It now reads: “Notice of additional delay of transferee under 21 years of age received on _______ (date), and may be transferred on _________ (date).”

Also added to 27.d. is a box for FFLs to check should no response be received from NICS or the appropriate State agency (for transferees under 21 years of age) within 10 business days after the initial delay was given. It now reads: “No response was provided within 10 business days after initial delay for transferee/buyer under 21.”

A detailed list of all changes can be found at ATF - Revised 4473. The revised form will become mandatory for use on April 1, 2023. Please contact your local ATF Industry Operations office should you have any questions regarding the changes to the form.

Posts: 1926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like some of those are intended to confuse people and make them answer incorrectly.

Honestly I’m not 100% sure if I currently live inside the actual city limits of my address or not. My last address was inside city limits, but not the city listed on my DL. It’s easy enough to find out so now I’ll look, but I’ll bet a bunch of people answer yes to that question when they really don’t know, especially first time buyers.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what the added questions mean. They need to be written at the 6th grade level.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Clear as mud. Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Sounds to me like some of those are intended to confuse people and make them answer incorrectly.

It's exactly that.

Posts: 17209 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I don’t see the relevance of whether someone lives inside or outside city limits; what is the impetus and reasoning here?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15617 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I don’t see the relevance of whether someone lives inside or outside city limits; what is the impetus and reasoning here?

Probably to resolve jurisdictional issues on who to notify in the event of a denial.

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I have no idea what the added questions mean. They need to be written at the 6th grade level.

flashguy

The excessively wordy new questions in section 21 just mean "You're sure you're not lying to us and you secretly intend to give this gun to someone who's going to do something bad, right?"

They've taken the relatively straightforward 21a question, which has been on there for a long time, and added two largely redundant, if more specific, sub-questions.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Honestly I’m not 100% sure if I currently live inside the actual city limits of my address or not. My last address was inside city limits, but not the city listed on my DL. It’s easy enough to find out so now I’ll look, but I’ll bet a bunch of people answer yes to that question when they really don’t know, especially first time buyers.

Why? What do “they” get out of it?

Lying and buying on the state (at least here) and the federal level requires the transferee to “knowingly” provide materially false information to make an unlawful transaction appear to be lawful. The federal statue is worded a bit different and involves knowingly making an FFL to make a false or incorrect logbook entry.

“They” don’t get a damn thing for intentionally confusing people.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What will happen with these changes is what always happens when the federal bureaucracy attempts to muddy the waters and play "gotcha" with these useless changes- when you're filling out your 4473, the counter person will help you.

"Oh, no, Para, they aren't supposed to do that."

Yeah, well, they do it, at least in my gun buying experience, they do. And just like with the current version of the form, once you know which answers to give, you just go down the form, checking off everything very quickly.

So, the feds might prevent a genuine idiot from buying a firearm, but for everyone else, it won't even slow us down. Razz

Honestly, now, when you fill out a 4473, do you stop and read closely every question? So, I'd say "Nice try, feds" but it's not even that. Cool

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
When I buy a gun at my LGS where I've been going for years and they all know me by name, they always ask if I know which boxes to check and I tell them yes. They then say to ask if I have any questions or doubt.

Yeah, they help.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, the feds might prevent a genuine idiot from buying a firearm, but for everyone else, it won't even slow us down. Razz

Honestly, now, when you fill out a 4473, do you stop and read closely every question?

Exactly! Once you get the hang of it, it's off to the race. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26470 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What will happen with these changes is what always happens when the federal bureaucracy attempts to muddy the waters and play "gotcha" with these useless changes- when you're filling out your 4473, the counter person will help you.

"Oh, no, Para, they aren't supposed to do that."

Yeah, well, they do it, at least in my gun buying experience, they do. And just like with the current version of the form, once you know which answers to give, you just go down the form, checking off everything very quickly.

Honestly, now, when you fill out a 4473, do you stop and read closely every question? So, I'd say "Nice try, feds" but it's not even that. Cool
Exactly boss. There aint no yup or nope boxes to check. Formatted the same, just a little longer. And thank you lbaker for posting up the changes.

The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I am more concerned about the new questions 21.b and 21.c including the word ammunition.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Wait, April Fool's Day?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Instead of making new forms, why not go after those who try to buy, but are prohibited. Or lied on the form. Or when they trace guns used in crimes and see a straw purchaser go after them.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Instead of making new forms, why not go after those who try to buy, but are prohibited. Or lied on the form. Or when they trace guns used in crimes and see a straw purchaser go after them.

Because "THAT'S RACIST!"

Our racist justice system unfairly targets minorities for prosecution, so minorities have more felony records and are thus denied by NICS much more often than whitey.

Obama and Holder told me so it must be true.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’m confused about the references to ammunition on a federal form. Sure, CA, and perhaps some other states stick their snout in ammunition purchasing, but I was unaware that the Feds were requiring paperwork to buy ammunition. Is there a new law that I missed?

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post