SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help! Hive mind suggestion for a good/great hearing for 86 yr old
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Hive mind suggestion for a good/great hearing for 86 yr old Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted
Old doode I.e. Tough old stoic bastard who used to be an Alaska fisherman and much more. We should all be so lucky.

He is totally deaf in one year from Ménière’s disease and partially deaf in the other. Would like to be able to give him a hearing aid for the ear that is still partially working. He has been Objectionable in the past but is now open minded As I think he realizes he’s going to miss the last few years of his grandchildren’s efforts to communicate with him.

Unfortunately I’ve been a bit prejudiced w/ hearing aids as somewhere between a out and out scam to a pricey yet decent DSP with a small battery attached to it that might provide good performance.

I have also heard that Costco may offer a variety of options but I’ve yet to visit them recently. Open to suggestions here. It’s not for me but I want something that has a high probability of working well as I know this person can be quite stubborn and if it doesn’t work well the first time, he may reject all subsequent alternatives.

Only need one. Price might night be a real constraint.

TIA!!!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
We have often explored the topic of the best least expensive aids. Costco has been chosen.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5080 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yep. Costco.

Posts: 26953 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Yep. Costco.

Indeed! Have been wearing them for several years now. While I would rather not need them, they do make life a lot easier and enjoyable.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco. Test is free. They'll walk ya through the options.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Costco is excellent and their staff are well trained and professional without being condescending.

They offer many levels of hearing aids with the most common one sold being about $1700 for a pair. I tried on several styles and what seemed to work best were the ones at about $1700 each...easily comparable to the $2500 ones from other sources

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Like most things in life...you will pay for what you get. There really is a reason why some hearing aides cost $699 each and others cost $3K each. It’s not all just bells and whistles.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't an audiologist be better able to advise you on hearing aids than a bunch of internet shooting forum readers?

Sounds like Costco has good options and help.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Wouldn't an audiologist be better able to advise you on hearing aids than a bunch of internet shooting forum readers?

Sounds like Costco has good options and help.

My experience with two audiologists was that they ran the same tests as Costco with the same results. The difference was the audiologists have boat payments to make while Costco doesn't. Audiologist #1 $5000 for hearing aids. Audiologist #2 $3000 and not up to snuff on the most recent technology. Costco $1800 with a longer warranty for the same thing audiologist #1 pushed.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Just went to the local Costco just yesterday, and was favorably impressed. They don't have every model available, but what they had was good. Got my membership, got the hearing test - they programmed up demo pairs of two different models I was considering right then and there so I could check the audio quality, and I ordered a pair of the ones with the best sound.

There is a great, short read available at Amazon that helped me get ready to make an informed choice - I got the Kindle version and it was $10 very well spent. The Little Book of Hearing Aids

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone; it looks like a hearing aid will not work. Looks like more of a cochlear implant kind of deal. Frown

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would like to be able to give him a hearing aid for the ear that is still partially working.
-
I have also heard that Costco may offer a variety of options but I’ve yet to visit them recently.

You know you can't just go "pick up" a hearing aid for someone right?
He's got to be there for the hearing test so it can be programmed to him and have tweaks done to not sound tinny, hollow, etc.
Buy one for him sure but he's got to be involved from the start.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post