SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need new Mac computer advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need new Mac computer advice Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Our current iMac (mid-2010 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i3 w/4 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB) is getting long in the tooth. On top of that the DVD drive stopped working the other day. Looking at options to replace it (with another Apple computer) just not sure what the best bang for my buck is. It's mainly used for household duty, surfing the web, watching some videos, organizing pictures, etc. All that to say nothing too heavy.

Thought about a MacBook Air, but think we'd outstrip the internal memory pretty quick. Not only that I like the more traditional keyboard and mouse. So with that looking at the iMacs and the Minis.

So what do the techie folks among us recommend for this application? I'm good with refurb so long as I'm not giving up too much current technology and/or I'm not going to have to upgrade again in 2-3 years. I'm still limping along a 2009 Air laptop that serves it's purpose as a web browser host and very light work machine occasionally. It desperately needs a battery replacement, but at this point I'm going to just wait another year or two and replace the machine altogether.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Have you considered swapping in a SSD drive? DVD drives are actually starting to be dated now as well.

Posts: 17910 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Mac guy here. Since 1984. Smile

Right now, your options are desktop, laptop or Mini. You also have Pro versions of the desktop or laptop models.

It doesn't sound like you need a Pro version. That's good new$ for you!

The new Mac Mini is the sleeper of the bunch. It comes without a keyboard, monitor or mouse, but has peripheral connections galore, and takes up scant space. Starts at about $799 and unlike most other Macs, is expandable!

You've indicated a dislike of the laptops, so your other option is an iMac. Starting at $1,099 for a 21.5" model, you get an Intel dual-core i5 processor, 8GM RAM, 1TB HDD and a 1920x1080 sRGB display.

From where I sit, my main interests are more compute-intensive, so I would look at 16GB RAM.

It's hard to find discounts on Apple hardware. Some places "sweeten the pot" by adding free printers, or other sorts of peripherals. Best Buy is an authorized Apple reseller, so you might get kind of a deal from them.

I have bought refurbished Apple equipment from Small Dog Electronics. The past few years have seen them gradually moving away from the refurbs, but they still carry them. I don't think their deals are as good as they were when that was the mainstay of their business.

You can actually buy refurbished Macs from Apple directly. The benefit there is that you get a one-year Apple warranty.

Sorry to be so wordy. My bottom line is that whatever you choose, take a close look at getting more RAM than you think you'll need. You'll thank me later!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Just looked at the refurbs in the online Apple Store. All of the Minis are underpowered for the price compared to the new Mini.

If you are looking at the Mini, I'd suggest at the least getting the Base i3 Mini & upgrade the SSD to 256GB - $999 or for $100 more get the 6 core i5 256 GB SSD ($1099) which bumps the processor & SSD. Or check the refurbs at apple.com frequently as inventory changes frequently.

Whatever you choose, get a base drive (SSD or HD) of at least 256GB.

New iMacs are expected later this year, so you might want to wait to seen what comes out & then get a deal.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought the lowest level MacBook Pro from Costco for $200 less than retail plus they add a year of warranty. My needs are similar to yours. I'm very pleased with it.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't have to use a MacBook like a laptop.
I use a MacBook Pro as a "desk top" with a cordless Apple keyboard and a wireless Apple
Track pad. You can use Apple's keyless mouse if you'd prefer a mouse. The trackpad mimics the way you use a laptop.
I have a large monitor (requires a cable with the Thunder bolt connector. My MacBook Pro sets over on the corner out of the way. If traveling I simply disconnect the two thunderbolt cables (the one a power cable and the other to that monitor)
You can purchase directly from Apple's site a refurbished MacBook or MacBook Pro (I did ) and they're as good as a new one and with the same warranty as a new one.....for $$$ less. If you have an Apple Store near you they'll even deliver it to the Apple Store so you can take your present Mac with you and have them transfer everything from you old Mac to your new one.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
iMac and Macbook Pro are both seem over due for updates so consider if you really want to buy a machine that is a year and a half old when it is new.

External DVD drives are pretty cheap if you really need one for use now.

Good info here...
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Was seriously thinking the Mini and looks like that’s what I’ll do. Obviously I already have the keyboard and mouse so would just need a monitor. Wife’s cousin is an assistant manager at the Apple Store so going to talk with her.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Mac Mini is the way to go IMO. I have an older MacBook Pro and I’m on my 2nd Mac Mini. I’ll keep with the Mini.

Posts: 6024 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you decide, make sure you get 16GB RAM. Mojave, the latest OS X version, seems to eat up a lot of RAM... 8GB at times. That leaves nothing else....

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post