SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starbucks Employees Did It Again-Disrespect for Officers
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starbucks Employees Did It Again-Disrespect for Officers Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
Didn't the pro-gun 2A crowd (us SigForumites) like Starbucks a long time ago? the whole "Guns and Coffee" thing? Stickers with the Starbucks logo lady holding guns?

I think it was because they didn't bow down to pressure for open carry people to enter, yes?

It was a long time ago, but I'm sure I can find a "guns and coffee" picture via Google.

James

I don't know who is us and we, but I was never a "like" for this company.

Q

Posts: 27485 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure how someone coming up with a "supposedly" funny mishmash "guns and coffee" logo equals support of Starbucks.

I see it as no different than the "Major League Door Kicker" logo...doesn't necessarily mean anyone who likes that supports, or even likes, Major League Baseball.

Just a pop-culture riff on a popular logo, a lot of the humor is the juxtaposition of guns and that logo...not unlike "Kalashnikitty", doesn't mean everyone who thinks that is funny supports Sanrio Enterprises in Japan.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
August 2013: "I Love Guns And Coffee" is Bringing Firearms to a Starbucks Near You

By Alexandra Cardinale
Aug 9, 2013

In an enthusiastic and politically-volatile show of support, gun owners across America plan to go armed into Starbucks coffee shops and buy their coffee as part of an "I Love Guns and Coffee" campaign. People plan on taking a moment of appreciation for the coffee company giant since it allows customers to pack heat when it accords with state law.

This is particularly in response to an earlier event where a group of coffee-going gun owners were asked to leave a coffee shop when it was discovered that they were holding weapons, even though they were legally entitled to carry firearms. They later went to Starbucks who allowed them into the building and to have their drinks without any trouble. Following this back-and-forth, multiple anti-gun groups including the Brady Campaign, the nationwide advocacy group supporting handgun control, asked the company to change their policies towards gun owners. In response, Starbucks stated that they did not intent to be involved in this political affair, and since it was all legal activity, continued to conduct business as per usual.

---snip---

I'm sure with enough google-fu, someone could find the original incident.

I don't drink coffee, so I have no-skin-in-the-game anyway.

Just bringing up the past.

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:

Didn't the pro-gun 2A crowd (us SigForumites) like Starbucks a long time ago? the whole "Guns and Coffee" thing? Stickers with the Starbucks logo lady holding guns?

I think it was because they didn't bow down to pressure for open carry people to enter, yes?

It was a long time ago, but I'm sure I can find a "guns and coffee" picture via Google.
It was a few years ago that anti-gun protestors were planning to boycott Starbucks, so many of us, even those who were normally not Starbucks customers, went to Starbucks that day and paid with two-dollar bills.

The two-dollar bills symbolized our support for the Second Amendment.

I had gone to the bank prior to that day, and I got a fistful of two-dollar bills, some of which I used at Starbucks. I still have a few left.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31370 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sad. If some millennial would have walked in with a woke shirt the workers would trip over themselves to get them a cup of their overpriced crap. I don’t do business with that place, make my own coffee at home, and if I want coffee on the road I’ll find a Dunkin shop or macdeez.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer McD coffee. And their staff treat everyone like shit, not just cops. Pro tip-pay with plastic. They can't really make change.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Starbucks apologized to two sheriff’s deputies in California and said it would carry out an internal investigation after complaints by the sheriff that the coffee retailer’s employees refused to serve the officers,

Yeah, I really believe that starbucks will actually conduct and investigation. Like I believe in the tooth fairy.

I have drunk coffee in several West European countries, East Germany, several middle east countries, not to mention dozens of airliners, military mess halls, etc.

Starbucks has to be the worst coffee on the planet. Even if it were decent, I would not drink it simply because of their asinine actions.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Personally, I like the taste of a medium Starbucks coffee. I usually hit one right out of roll call.

Last year, I worked downtown Chicago. I frequented 3 different locations, to the point where they knew me by name, and took care of me (but then again, I tip well).
I changed Districts last year, and hit one of the three Starbucks in my current District, depending on which end I'm working on. 2 of them know me by name, and take care of me (and I tip them well). The third location treats me like a regular customer, which doesn't bother me at all. (I still tip them well)

Last weekend, there was a problem at one of the Starbuck locations in McCormick place where the Department held the sergeants test. There was approximately 4000 Chicago police officers and detectives in attendance, and I'll venture to say 99.9% of them had a gun on, and some were in full uniform.

To summarize-
"So after [my fellow officer] got home from taking the Sergeant test at McCormick place...... She went on to tell me that the Starbucks in McCormick place refused to allow any officers in the shop because another event was being held by a group that “wasn’t comfortable around guns”!!!! I myself am tired of this shit!!! Starbucks has proven time after time they are not supportive of our officers."

I'm quickly changing my mind toward their policies in general...
Now I gotta go find a good cup of coffee in my district.

Mickey D's!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Time for a huge class action suit. Does American want or need a huge coffee chain, with their networked weenie politics? Or sue them into oblivion?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Time for a huge class action suit. Does American want or ned a huge coffee chain, with their networked weenie politics? Or sue them into oblivion?

Sue them for what? Who are the members of the class and how are members defined?

Civil rights? There's no civil rights violation by treating people in uniform like crap. Horrible business decision but not civil rights.

Posts: 4247 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Civil rights? There's no civil rights violation by treating people in uniform like crap. Horrible business decision but not civil rights.

Yep. "Cop" is not a protected class. Just like "gun owner" is not a protected class. Or "conservative" is not a protected class.

Federal civil rights violations only apply to discrimination based on specific things like race, sex, religion, age, disability, and veteran status.

Posts: 33031 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Time for a huge class action suit. Does American want or ned a huge coffee chain, with their networked weenie politics? Or sue them into oblivion?

Sue them for what? Who are the members of the class and how are members defined?

Discrimination. You can be sued for anything in America. If LEOs, as a "class", are being treated differently across the country within SB's, in a detrimental fashion, it seems there is a case for discrimination.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can be sued for anything in America.

True, but you cannot be successfully sued for anything. A suit for discriminating against a non-protected class would not last long.

Posts: 33031 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
next time there is a 'service' call to a SB, the cops should show up carrying coffee from DD

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53770 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Discrimination. You can be sued for anything in America. If LEOs, as a "class", are being treated differently across the country within SB's, in a detrimental fashion, it seems there is a case for discrimination.

What kind of discrimination? Uniform discrimination?

So if the same person is delayed service while out of umiform is that a form of whatever discrimination you're contemplating?

There is no civil rights violation for uniform wear. Period.

Posts: 4247 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
I don't get why "employees" do this. It is not their company, they just work there. Protest in your own time. If you own your own company, then go ahead and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. If they get into some sort of trouble, who are they gonna call, certainly not the ghostbusters.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Time for a huge class action suit.

Can you imagine all of the lawsuits from those in professions that feel discriminated against? Want to have a used car salesman class action? Lawyer class action? Door to door steak salesman class action?

quote:
I don't get why "employees" do this. It is not their company, they just work there.

The same reason employees engage in all other sorts of shenanigans. And that's generally exactly why they're employees and not owners.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15845 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
Personally, I like the taste of a medium Starbucks coffee. I usually hit one right out of roll call.

Now I gotta go find a good cup of coffee in my district.

I don't know your district, but you might look for a Peet's. The guys that started Starbucks learned to roast coffee from Alfred Peet, so if you like dark raost coffee, Peet's is for you. There is one on the corner of Michigan Ave and Madison, BTW.

I know exactly where that one is. Good coffee too.
Unfortunately, none around the Midway Airport - West Englewood area Frown
I guess I gotta learn to like Dunkin Donuts.

I know there was a Huck Finn on Cicero that was a notorious cop and fed hangout. That location is maybe to far south for you.Thread drift , have a detective friend who took the s. Test, she said the process has changed since Eddie got the boot!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer a place were I can pour my own cup, nobody messing with it behind a counter, that's why WaWa is appealing, for an employee to mess with an officers drink they'd be messing with everyones drink, and it' out in the open with a half dozen blends.

Plus every once in a while they have Buck a Cupa Joe day, all sizes one buckareno....

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Mickey D's!

Can't do. McDonalds coffee tastes burnt to me. Like char broiled burnt.

MIDWEST GUY-
I have a Huck Finn on Pulaski, and the one on Archer isn't too far out of my Dist,

There's a "Mom & Pop" coffee shop on Archer that I'm gonna hit today. No problems with family owned businesses, especially in that area.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8519 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post