SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For dog owners, when is it time to make that decision
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For dog owners, when is it time to make that decision Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Wishing all of you the best during a difficult time. Glad to hear you will be with her at the end.

Posts: 3734 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
This has always been and always will be my biggest fear. I have had to do it twice. Both times, my babies told me that it was time. I didn't have a doubt in my mind. Hardest decisions I've ever had to make, but they both told me beyond the shadow of a doubt.

I'll say a prayer for y'all.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
This has always been and always will be my biggest fear. I have had to do it twice. Both times, my babies told me that it was time. I didn't have a doubt in my mind. Hardest decisions I've ever had to make, but they both told me beyond the shadow of a doubt.

I'll say a prayer for y'all.

Everything you said Maestro. Including the prayer. End of life decisions for pets are awful for everyone involved, pets included.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
You and your girl are in tonights prayers. You are doing good by her. Thank you..

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
We decided to use a vet from Lap of Love this coming Friday. It is a tough choice but just watching her the last couple of days was tough. She barely wants to walk in yard and seems to be completely unhappy just laying on her bed. We could swear by the way she looks at us now, it is time.
Thanks for all of the input and help.

That is when you know it is time. The last two times I had to do this, my dogs let me know it was time for them to rest. Hell, I am teared up thinking about it. My condolences to you and only advice is to remember the good times and know she is waiting for you by the Rainbow Bridge.

Eventually if you decide to get another dog, don't feel guilty. Dogs teach us that both our species are full of an infinite amount of love.

Posts: 3941 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you. One of the toughest decisions and hardest parts about having our pets.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10910 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of these troubles.

In my family’s experience we have been about 1 week late in our decision. I fear our hopes have added days of unneeded pain to our friends life.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5157 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
We decided to use a vet from Lap of Love this coming Friday. It is a tough choice but just watching her the last couple of days was tough. She barely wants to walk in yard and seems to be completely unhappy just laying on her bed. We could swear by the way she looks at us now, it is time.
Thanks for all of the input and help.

It sounds like you are there and are making the right decision. Vets can advise on pain meds to blunt pain, and that may make sense when the dog is still enjoying some parts of life but has a joint or two that just hurts. When it gets to the point where you don’t “catch” the dog having some reasonable amount of happy moments, you know it is time.

The way I look at it is, “Would I want to live like that?” If my answer is no, I’d guess the dog’s would be too.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
The biggest sign for me is: If you have to ask. Then it's probably time. My signs have always been:
- Pups in pain or
- Quality of life is poor (can't see / hear / walk, etc.)

Either way I know you'll do what is right for the pup. Last one I had to put down I was fine until I got out of the vet. Then I bawled like a small child.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
If the person who owns and loves the dog thinks it's time, it's time. I'll never second guess anybody on that decision. I've done it 5 times and it never gets easier. I've agonized over it, even when I knew it was the right thing to do. I've broken down in tears every single time afterwards. It's the price we pay for the love and joy they bring us.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'm with my dogs to the bitter end.
Unless I witness pain I let them die at home of natural cause.

My last dog to pass was 14. He had a non malignant inside tumor on his right hind leg. He eventually could not get up and walk. I put a strap on his hind quarter to help him to his feet. He could not get up and go #2, I had no problem cleaning up after him when he had a accident. Near the end he could not control his bladder, we put towels under him and bathed him. We knew the end was coming, we gave him two pain medications and CBD oil, he was not in pain.
He eventually passed while sleeping in his favorite spot in the dinning room surrounded by my wife and I, and our other two dogs.

He was born in our family room, it was only fitting that he be buried in our yard. I rented a backhoe and dug him a grave, I placed a solar light on the spot. It gives me comfort to sit out at night and look over and see his light on, I feel his presence.

He gave us 14 years of unfailing devotion and companionship, We found dealing with the inconvenience for a few months a small price to pay, Our other two aging dogs will get the same devotion from us.
Again, If my animal is suffering and I can't do anything to relieve that I would have no choice to put them down.

Posts: 4633 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Been there several times and it sucks.

At least dogs don't know about death. They don't sit around puzzling/agonizing about what (if anything) comes after death. Only we human beans do that or as W. B. Yeats wrote:

Death

Nor dread nor hope attend
A dying animal;
A man awaits his end
Dreading and hoping all;
Many times he died,
Many times rose again,
A great man in his pride
Confronting murderous men
Casts derision upon
Supersession of breath;
He knows death to the bone –
Man has created death.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15486 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post