SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a new Norelco shaver for the first time in 28 years.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new Norelco shaver for the first time in 28 years. Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Doubt I'll get that good of a run ever again. Battery is actually still fine. One of the mechanisms to control one of the heads has let go mechanically.

I'd almost think that Norelco would want my razor to study the battery - but I guess that would be in order to not repeat that mistake.

Now to figure out which is "best".

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I recently took a shot in the dark and bought a rechargeable series 2000 Norelco. It does a pretty good job on my wrinkled old face and neck. Being able to wash the heads under running water seems to be a good feature. It shaves close enough to suite me and I haven’t cut myself with it yet. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Try a Panasonic ARC 5 wet dry razor, neck and neck with a Braun series 9 but almost 80 bucks cheaper. I like it.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second that ARC 5 recommendation. I have a tough beard and its the only electric razor I've found that comes anywhere close to the shave of a conventional razor.
I found one on eBay from a place that deals in returned items for $45. It looked brand new.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've had my current Norelco for 13-14 years. Still fine on original battery and blades.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent a good amount of time researching shavers last year. I ended up buying a Panasonic Arc 5. I wish I had done so years ago. It is well worth the investment. The cleaning station is great, the refills last me about 60 days of daily use. The head and blades so far have not needed to be changed after 16 months.

It can be used wet or dry and having tried it both ways, it performs equally as well.

https://shop.panasonic.com/per...avers/ES-LV65-S.html

Here it is with the Braun I was comparing it against.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Another for Panasonic

I bought the Arc3 a little more than three years ago, I love it and still on original blade and foil, daily use

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
It's really frustrating, since it's difficult to do anything but order one and hope. I was very tempted to pull the trigger on a Braun 9 last night but I ordered a Norelco, because that's what I'm used to. It's been 28 years since I tried a foil razor. Obviously the current ones are Ferraris compared to what I tried. If I don't like this one I'll go with an Arc, most likely, maybe the Braun. I don't like the cleaning devices, because from reviews I can't expect them to keep working. My old one was a tank. I'd occasionally remember to clean it, but rarely and it just did its job. I was tempted to order a lower end Norelco that looks more like what I had, but I figured I'd try to go with this century first, and see what I get.

So the order will be
Norelco SP9820/87
Arc5
and then either a lower grade Norelco (2000 or 3000 series) or the Braun 9, until I find a winner.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
It's really frustrating, since it's difficult to do anything but order one and hope. I was very tempted to pull the trigger on a Braun 9 last night but I ordered a Norelco, because that's what I'm used to. It's been 28 years since I tried a foil razor. Obviously the current ones are Ferraris compared to what I tried. If I don't like this one I'll go with an Arc, most likely, maybe the Braun. I don't like the cleaning devices, because from reviews I can't expect them to keep working. My old one was a tank. I'd occasionally remember to clean it, but rarely and it just did its job. I was tempted to order a lower end Norelco that looks more like what I had, but I figured I'd try to go with this century first, and see what I get.

So the order will be
Norelco SP9820/87
Arc5
and then either a lower grade Norelco (2000 or 3000 series) or the Braun 9, until I find a winner.

I ended up with my Acr 5 after finding out my dad's arc 3 with its cleaning station is still working nearly 20 years later. Plus it with the cleaning station, replacement foil head, and two packs of cleaning solution was the same price as the braun 9 when I bought it.

Good luck with the norelco

Here is a link to a review of the cleaning stations.
https://shavercheck.com/best-a...ic-cleaning-station/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I bought a Braun Series 5 a couple years ago. It does the job nicely.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Well, because of you guys I just purchased an Arc5. Got what looks to be a great deal on eBay. We’ll see when it’s delivered. I like the idea of being able to use it with shave gel/cream. It comes with just the razor and charger which is all I need anyway. It’s the LV65s. Said it was a store overstock item.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a Norelco fan-boy for many decades now. I tried other brands over the years, and always came back to Norelco. My current razor is 12-13 years old and still works 100% and the battery holds a charge. If it ain't broke.....

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best Buy has the Panasonic ARC 5 in black on sale for $119. I've never priced electric shavers before - is that a good deal compared to other sale prices?

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
Best Buy has the Panasonic ARC 5 in black on sale for $119. I've never priced electric shavers before - is that a good deal compared to other sale prices?

I missed that. I just ordered an Arc 5 without the cleaning station from Target yesterday for $149. Hope I like it. Will be doing dry shaving.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a Norelco 5000 series.
I tried the Braun don’t remember the model many years ago due to the suggestions here.
It just did not do as well on my face or neck as the Norelco.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who gets a nasty rash every time I try using an electronic shaver to shave with? Is there some cosmic trick that I'm unaware of for using these things?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Norelco SP9820/87

Gotta give it a few weeks for your face to get used to it. New ones will adjust to not be as close as well, either if that is what you need or while you get used to it.

First impressions of Norelco SP9820/87 are positive. Feels good in the hand and shaves nicely. They want you to wash it out after every use. Since it's 3 friction contacts I guess I'll just leave it apart until the next day each day since a. I'm not waiting around for it to dry and b. that's 1/2 the wear and tear.

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Just used my new Panasonic Arc 5, 1st time. Never used an electric before. The shave was just about as close as I was getting with a razor. I shaved dry and no irritation to speak of. If this Arc 5 lasts a while it will be a good investment. It gives a great close and fast shave.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Received the arc5 today. I paid $49 free shipping for the L65-s. It arrived with box, all papers, charger, case and foil cover. It’s brand new, never been used! The seller said he sells store over stock. The box had a Best Buy sticker on it.

I charged it and will use it tomorrow.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I just shaved with the arc5. I used shave gel and got the best shave I’ve had in a long time! Wow!

I took my time, obviously and the power is now at 90%. I figure that’s probably about right. I’m sure I’ll get faster as I use it. I appreciate all the info here. I didn’t realize I needed to change things up until I saw this thread. Once again, my Sigforum family comes through helping improve things I didn’t even know needed improving or how to go about it.