SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The F14 (boat) needs a new motor. What should I get?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The F14 (boat) needs a new motor. What should I get? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
My youngest son and I would like to start exploring some of the larger lakes, Black, Mullet, Burt, etc in northern Michigan. We have a 1980s Alumacraft F14 utility boat with a 1983, 9.9hp Honda BH100. Right now it goes 15mph with both of us and our gear. We’re going to add a casting platform to the bow and possibly a trolling motor. While the boat is rated for 35hp, I’m thinking it was designed around the weight of a 35hp 2-stroke or about 150 pounds. Should I stick with motors around that weight or less?

In looking, I’m finding 20hp motors are around 330ccs and weigh 95-111 pounds. Then,there’s a 25Hp, 432cc, 126 pound Yamaha or the recently announced 30HP, 500cc, 128 pound Tohatsu. The Yamaha and all the 20hp models are two cylinders while the Tohatsu is three. Yamaha’s 747cc 30hp motor weighs 214 pounds.

The Yamaha and Tohatsu have variable rpm control for trolling with the Yamaha having 50rpm increments and the Tohatsu having 100rpm increments.

In Florida, we have a Lund SSV16 utility boat with a 30hp Suzuki that weigh 165 pounds. It gets us around in the Keys and on the Peace River fine. We have yet to add a casting platform to the bow.

Going with there’s no replacement for displacement and staying around 150 pounds or less, it seems like the Tohatsu will be the way to go when they actually start showing up. Am I wrong? Am I missing something else here?

For those that don’t know, Tohatsu Marine is a joint venture between the Japanese company, Tohatsu, and the American company, Brunswick. Brunswick owns Mercury Marine and Mercury’s smaller outboards are manufactured by Tohatsu Marine in Japan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10962 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Belay my last - wrong F-14 Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The dash makes a difference, doesn’t it? I changed the title to be less ambiguous. How sad is it that when I take my F14 out, I think, “I feel the need, the need for speed”? My oldest son and I got buzzed by a couple of A-10s once while out in Lake Huron. I told my son they wished they had F-14s.

Posts: 10962 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt I'll be much help. My son has fished Burt Lake extensively for 15 years. He has a 16 foot Lund Fury with a 40HP Mercury 4 stroke, maximum for his boat. He certainly appreciates the horse power for getting from place to place on the lake so I get why you want to put more ponies on your 14ft.Alumacraft. I'm a bit confused by the fact that you already have another boat with the horsepower you want. Is it not suitable for your purpose? Whatever you do to set up for fishing in northern Michigan, enjoy your time in that beautiful part of Michigan.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry. I edited my post a few times and the part about the Lund being down in Florida disappeared. I’ll fix that.

posted Hide Post
I think it would depend on your marine dealer on which outboard. My last two motors have been Yamaha and Suzuki, both excellent, and I have an very good dealer. I'm not familiar with the lakes you'll be fishing but I would stick with something in that weight for your boat. FWIW, I fish 3-4 weeks a season in the US and Canada on all different size lakes and I've never seen a Tohatsu, ever, and don't know a thing about them. If you are confident that your dealer can service and support your purchase would be the determining factor in my mind.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Good point. They are all 40 miles away or more by road.

posted Hide Post
My last purchase was Yamaha and I'm a Yamaha snob now. But here's my Suzuki story....bought a new 50HP to put on an old 16.5' Lund Mr. Pike in 1998 and ran it for 5 years, sold it to a friend that travels with our group and he still has it. He changed spark plugs about 8 years ago, changes oil and filter each season and it still looks and runs like new. I'm a Suzuki believer too.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'm not a boater anymore (LOL but I want to be). I think you're probably correct in keeping it under 150#, regardless of power. I thought Tohatsu manufactured small outboards for Honda but bought their larger ones from Honda?
I was recently boating in Ft Lauderdale and the Bahamas and naturally took notice of all the boats and their engines. By *far* Yamaha was the most prevalent with Mercury a distant second and Suzuki a distant third. I only recall seing 2 Honda's which surprised me.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy one that is fuel injected, not carbureted.

No problem with gas drying out in the carb bowl in a FI motor.

-c1steve

Posts: 4055 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with the largest HP allowed HP for your boat. I would also consider 4 stroke so you can troll. Those three lakes ae big enough that wather can be a big factor. My son was on Mullt this weekend in my boat and had four foot waves.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Four footers had to be fun. The lake we are on is a bit bigger than Mullet and we were tubing and wakeboarding over the weekend. The wind was offshore so we were in the lee.

Fuel injected for sure which knocks the Hondas out.

There are no 2-strokes available in the US as they don’t meet EPA approval.

My understanding is that Tohatsu outboards 140hp and up are Hondas.

Nissan branded outboards were all made by Tohatsu.

I don’t know the cut off, but Mercurys under a certain hp are all made by Tohatsu with some variations in features. In fact, I missed it, but just saw that Mercury also just announced a new, lighter 30hp motor. It has the same 500cc displacement, high output alternator, lower unit gear ratio, variable idle for trolling, and even a removable drip tray under the oil filter as the new 30hp Tohatsu. The big difference is the Mercury has a more adjustable tiller and a different cowling.

I think the Mercury with the better tiller is now what I’ll look for.

posted Hide Post
Find a good Merc dealer and you may be on your way....good luck whatever you do.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I think a 20 or 25hp would be perfect. I agree efi. I think most in that range would be efi.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post