SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Californians To Pay 18% Tax On Firearms, Ammo After Anti-Gun Lawmakers Strike
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Californians To Pay 18% Tax On Firearms, Ammo After Anti-Gun Lawmakers Strike Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:

Sounds like the border towns need to stock up on ammo to supply the influx of CA plates coming their way.

What's to be done with the extra tax revenue? I'm sure it will be put to good use leaning up SF...

I'm sure this will hit the courts and promptly deemed unconstitutional.
CA has already outlawed CA residents buying ammo out of state and importing into CA.
How do they enforce that? Are there 24 hour inspection stations at all border crossings?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
CA has already outlawed CA residents buying ammo out of state and importing into CA.

How would they even know? Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think it will eventually be struck down as a constitutional violation like a poll tax.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Those of us not in California should be thanking them for lining up all these slam-dunk cases while we have the SCOTUS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bobtheelf,

Posts: 3665 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I need to gather investors and buy an empty shell of a big box store in Yuma, Arizona and fill it with all of the things that can't be bought in California; ammunition, gas powered lawn equipment, plasma screen tv's, incandescent light bulbs, etc...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11781 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Exactly! Why can't someone drive to a neighboring state and buy a bunch of ammo and bring it back to California?

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How is this different than the 11% federal excise tax on long guns and ammunition and 10% on handguns and pistols that has been in effect since 1919?

The courts have struck obscenely high (670%) tax on firearms as unconstitutional in Murphy v. Guerrero. However, the courts upheld a much smaller amount ($25 per firearm, $.01 per rimfire round, $.05 per centerfire round) in Guns Save Life, Inc. v. Ali.

That California chose 11% seems purposeful.

Posts: 11013 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
So if you bought the gun out of state and brought it back to Commiefornia, I guess it would be treated as registering a car bought in that fashion and then taxed at the time of registering the firearm???

No way around this, I guess, unless you buy it out of state and then don't register it. But then if you have to "use" said firearm, you'd be in a heap of trouble??

Kinda confustigated here...... [scratching head]

The simple answer to your question is Don't move to Commiefornia. I would suggest that any conservatives still living in that future sub sea canyon sell their land to some ignorant liberal as a Winery for high dollars and get out of that state. I expect that once the liberal to conservative ratio gets into the high 90's God will smile and send that state into the ocean with lots of fire and brimstone.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5664 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

They also passed a law that starts 1-1-25 that FFL has to have every inch of their premises recorded 24 hours a day and saved for a year. The Terabytes needed for a year of storage depending on number of cameras is impressive and will be cost prohibitive to many small FFL which is their goal of course.

Does the recording law specify a minimum resolution requirement? Storage for 16x16 pixels per image wouldn’t be too onerous!

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
How is this different than the 11% federal excise tax on long guns and ammunition and 10% on handguns and pistols that has been in effect since 1919?

The courts have struck obscenely high (670%) tax on firearms as unconstitutional in Murphy v. Guerrero. However, the courts upheld a much smaller amount ($25 per firearm, $.01 per rimfire round, $.05 per centerfire round) in Guns Save Life, Inc. v. Ali.

That California chose 11% seems purposeful.

Thanks for that observation. I was unaware.

But still glad that I have a lifetime supply of cheaply-purchased ammo in my loft. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typical government. Tax the law abiding citizens think criminals will now follow the rules.

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Time to sell guns for $1 with a transfer fee or the special wrapping to make up the difference. For ammo $1 and the cost of special wrapping (plastic bag) makes up the difference.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I think it will eventually be struck down as a constitutional violation like a poll tax.

I’d like to see that italicized by a court. Tax stamps could be included as a poll tax. Sales tax could be on the chopping block if the law is consistent

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29727 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:
quote:

Exactly! Why can't someone drive to a neighboring state and buy a bunch of ammo and bring it back to California?

They could if they are willing to take the chance of getting caught at the border crossing.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:

They could if they are willing to take the chance of getting caught at the border crossing.

Are there checkpoints? (... asked the guy who's never driven near California.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That was my attempt at humor. There were NOT actual checkpoints the last time I entered California(but that was probably twenty years ago).

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Okay, just checking. Big Grin

God bless America.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
FREE gun with purchase of 1 hour private training session…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10957 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was my attempt at humor. There were NOT actual checkpoints the last time I entered California(but that was probably twenty years ago).
There are agricultural checkpoints, at least on the interstates, though the last time I went through they were unmanned.

This is likely more FUD, and a question of whether one wants to “follows the law” or “pick and choose the laws they choose to follow”. Much of the nonsense passed in Sacramento almost seems designed to push folks toward the latter rather than the former.

Posts: 6925 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

CA DOJ LEO are known to have staked-out parking lots of retailers and gun shows in neighboring Reno, Carson City, Las Vegas, Yuma, etc... taking note of vehicles with CA plates and observing the purchases those owners make. Arrests and prosecutions have been made, usually the most careless and obvious are the ones getting caught.

Posts: 14689 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post