SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Californians To Pay 18% Tax On Firearms, Ammo After Anti-Gun Lawmakers Strike
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Californians To Pay 18% Tax On Firearms, Ammo After Anti-Gun Lawmakers Strike Login/Join 
posted
Waiting on Newsome's signature.

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...ve-new-tax-guns-ammo

Two weeks ago, the California Legislature passed a new excise tax on the sales price of all firearms, firearm precursor parts, and ammunition. The 11% tax, paid in addition to sales taxes (base statewide sales tax of 7.25%), would take effect on July 1, 2024. As of Thursday, Assembly Bill 28 remains on Gov. Gavin Newsom's desk.

Gov. Newsom has until Oct. 14 to either sign the bill into law or veto it.

More at link

Posts: 12732 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If voting can’t be taxed and first amendment rights can’t be taxed why can 2nd amendment rights be taxed?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
If voting can’t be taxed and first amendment rights can’t be taxed why can 2nd amendment rights be taxed?

It can, when the commies are in charge. Mad

Q

Posts: 26470 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
If voting can’t be taxed and first amendment rights can’t be taxed
...give them time.

Posts: 6506 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
So if you bought the gun out of state and brought it back to Commiefornia, I guess it would be treated as registering a car bought in that fashion and then taxed at the time of registering the firearm???

No way around this, I guess, unless you buy it out of state and then don't register it. But then if you have to "use" said firearm, you'd be in a heap of trouble??

Kinda confustigated here...... [scratching head]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Talk about using every play in the book. Eek
They are not shy about trying anything .
If only we had the same balls Frown

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The only surprise is that it was ‘only’ 11%.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9000 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Give them time.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the border towns need to stock up on ammo to supply the influx of CA plates coming their way.

What's to be done with the extra tax revenue? I'm sure it will be put to good use leaning up SF...

I'm sure this will hit the courts and promptly deemed unconstitutional.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:

They're in the 9th Circus. So CA will keep it in place until SCOTUS strikes it eventually.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Place a 2mil% tax on abortions, or gay cakes or whatever someone doesn't like. Fuck it, lets get crazy.

Silliness. Roll Eyes

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6340 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're in the 9th Circus. So CA will keep it in place until SCOTUS strikes it eventually.

Hopefully it finds its way before Judge Benitez.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When CA passed a law several years ago that made online ammo purchases impractical, I stocked up, big time, before it went into effect. My heirs will have to figure out what to do with the rest of it. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9000 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
quote:

Give them time.

The state has the most outrageous car registration fees, hundreds of dollars, and don't be surprised they drastically increase fees on gun registration and assorted DROS fees in the future.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
quote:

Hopefully it finds its way before Judge Benitez.

Gov. Newsom Attacks Federal Judge As Child-Killing, Extremist, Right-Wing Zealot Owned By The NRA

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...ing-zealot-owned-nra

This week, California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) went on Twitter/X to denounce U.S. Judge Roger T. Benitez as “an extremist, right-wing zealot with no regard to [sic] human life.”

Posts: 12732 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh Gav is big mad after judge Benitez finally laid down the law. Bruen is the gift that keeps giving

They also passed a law that starts 1-1-25 that FFL has to have every inch of their premises recorded 24 hours a day and saved for a year. The Terabytes needed for a year of storage depending on number of cameras is impressive and will be cost prohibitive to many small FFL which is their goal of course.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
When CA passed a law several years ago that made online ammo purchases impractical, I stocked up, big time, before it went into effect. My heirs will have to figure out what to do with the rest of it. Smile
great minds think alike. Smile

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Sounds like the border towns need to stock up on ammo to supply the influx of CA plates coming their way.

What's to be done with the extra tax revenue? I'm sure it will be put to good use leaning up SF...

CA has already outlawed CA residents buying ammo out of state and importing into CA.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
So if you bought the gun out of state and brought it back to Commiefornia, I guess it would be treated as registering a car bought in that fashion and then taxed at the time of registering the firearm???

No way around this, I guess, unless you buy it out of state and then don't register it. But then if you have to "use" said firearm, you'd be in a heap of trouble??

Kinda confustigated here...... [scratching head]
Re the taxing, since one can only buy handguns in the state residence (Federal law), unless one moves into CA or has residency in another state and buys the handgun there, it would have to go through a CA FFL to do the transfer. FFLs have been required to collect CA sales tax on the transfer for several years unless there is a receipt with the gun showing the seller collected it. I’m sure the state will just require them to collect this tax too.

Not sure what happens with CA resident holders of both an 03 FFL and a CA DOJ Certificate of Eligibility (COE) who can still buy ammo online and have it shipped directly to the address on their FFL. I’d guess they are liable for the tax and are responsible to figure out how to pay it.
What level of effort will go into tracking these folks down I dunno.

Wrt being in trouble over an unregistered gun, Nah. A friend ran into this recently. He was applying for a LTC (License To Carry Concealed, a CHL or CCW in other states). His application got held up because his P229 that he brought in with him when he moved here wasn’t registered. Looking up the law, when one moves into the state they are supposed to register any guns they bring in within 60 days. Fill out the form (or as many forms as needed to list them all, pay your $19 fee, and you’re good to go. In my friend’s case, he did this for the P229 long after the sixty days was up. He provided the Sheriff’s Office with copies of the registration application and check and his application for the LTC was back on track.

I’m sure that if one is doing dirtbag things with an unregistered gun the DA will come up with some enhancement for it, but other than that I suspect you’d have a hard time finding an LEO who gave a rat’s rump whether on not your gun or guns were registered.

I swear they pass some of these laws more for the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) factor than anything else.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
CA has already outlawed CA residents buying ammo out of state and importing into CA.
True, but read the law as there are several exceptions.