SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I sell cars. Ask me anything.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I sell cars. Ask me anything. Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Do any of your coworkers or supervisors look like this?

Where did you get that picture of me at?

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
You were such a good boy!

Best to you!

Ha! Thanks Buddy! Hope all is well up there.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you in this endeavor.

Last year I retired, 47 years in GM dealership fixed operations, parts department, from counter to management and back to the counter (my choice).

One thing that always "got to me" was the non cooperation between departments, usually sales felt they were the stars and Fixed Ops were a necessary evil. Try not to fall into that mindset.

The back end of the business can save your bacon but remember they too have bills to pay.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I’m looking at a diesel 2500 or 3500 4 door, 4x4 with towing package. I don’t need leather and all the fancy packages but I would like a bench seat in the front. What can I realistically expect to pay? Where are you located?

In DFW, TX. I'm not the expert but you're gonna have a semi-hard time finding that right now. 2018's are almost out and the 2019's are on the way in. 4 door double cab or crew cab? What size box? The LT Trim level is gonna be cloth with the bench in the front, I think the WT (work truck) comes that way too but its pretty stripped down and basic.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Best of luck to you in this endeavor.

Last year I retired, 47 years in GM dealership fixed operations, parts department, from counter to management and back to the counter (my choice).

One thing that always "got to me" was the non cooperation between departments, usually sales felt they were the stars and Fixed Ops were a necessary evil. Try not to fall into that mindset.

The back end of the business can save your bacon but remember theyar too have bills to pay.

Thank you. I treat everyone there with respect, no matter the job they have. I've had people in service step up plenty of times to make stuff happen on the spot for me to help big time. Every department is working toward the same goal, making money and making happy customers. Little things go a long way. Nice small talk, holding doors open, asking people how there day is going, saying hello, grabbing a handful of ice cold water bottles from up front and bringing them back to the car washers and service dudes on hot days, etc. I try to get along with everyone. But yes, to your point, that does go on a little bit. I've had service people drop what they were doing to take on a 20 minute project for me, grab parts, fix, install, etc instantly to help me get a sale while a customer was waiting and do the paperwork after. If they didn't like someone, they could tell them to go talk to the advisors, get an RO, schedule it, etc.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
So, describe what goes on when you bring an offer to the sales manager, what does he typically tell you to say and do? What determines what the lowest price will be on any given vehicle that day? What would you suggest for getting the best price possible? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions but I've always been curious about what goes on behind the scenes.

Way to get the best price is simple, just buy from me!

Our pricing is pretty straightforward on new stuff, not all dealerships are like that. The market fluctuates so we have a pricing tool. Suggestions on getting the best price.....figure out exactly what you want. Do an autotrader search or other online search tool and compare pricing on what you want. Email the dealerships that you are willing to purchase from (location) that have what you want and get the out the door price. Be straightforward and honest though. Had a customer run me around on the email thing for a while then says he's gonna buy somewhere else because they have the color he wants. I don't know what he was emailing and talking to me on the phone looking for the pricing on a car he didn't want to buy. He was a nice guy though. Ours was $1,300 cheaper but he went with them for color. Had another lady leave and go back to a competitor and pay $4,000 more for the same vehicle just in a color we didn't have in stock.

Be realistic about the deal. Pricing of the vehicle is one part of it but major factors are if you are trading something in, especially if you still are paying on it and what the credit score is for financing APR. Trade in/negative equity and credit prevent more deals for me than anything. If you do all your homework and are realistic, then you should be within about $10-20 a month on where the payment is gonna be. Some people come in and we are super far apart. One lady came in and we were less than $1 apart on payment based on her calculations. She showed me her notebook!

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I’m looking at a diesel 2500 or 3500 4 door, 4x4 with towing package. I don’t need leather and all the fancy packages but I would like a bench seat in the front. What can I realistically expect to pay? Where are you located?

In DFW, TX. I'm not the expert but you're gonna have a semi-hard time finding that right now. 2018's are almost out and the 2019's are on the way in. 4 door double cab or crew cab? What size box? The LT Trim level is gonna be cloth with the bench in the front, I think the WT (work truck) comes that way too but its pretty stripped down and basic.

Thanks for replying. I want four actual doors. If I understand it correctly, they have an 8’ box and 6’8’ box. I want the 6’ box.

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
just bought the wife a new car first dealer wanted us to give them 500 dollars for her trade in said it needed work and thats the best they could do.

the car a 2007 320 Mercedes with a clear title, sure buddy here is the title to my wife's car and here take 500 for your trouble. Roll Eyes

I need a new truck and just hate going to dealerships and going thru the process that your car is worth nothing.

Posts: 5598 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Best dealer I ever had, walked out, told us to look around and come get me when we decided...he gave us a key and sat in the back when we took the test drive. No haggle at all.

L&M Chevy dealer in Zebulon, they don't advertise and the prices are far below anyone w/i 100 miles or more. People I knew from Hatteras would drive over and leave w/a new car..

Good luck

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I sell cars now. Ask me anything.

Not a question, Just a comment. Best wishes in your new career. My family has been in and around the car dealership business for a long time. Mostly finance and insurance. It's not easy, but nothing worthwhile is.

Thank you

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
How much does the invoice price differ from the true cost?

There are probably 3 people in the dealership that know the answer to that question, and I ain't one of them. I'm also convinced that no online resource has that exact information either. There are so many variables to consider and its also not a static number.

The invoice is the invoice.
That's what they pay. Beyond that, The dealership receives a specific amount of money per new car for fuel. Most dealers will also get floor plan assistants for 3 months. auto manufacturers will pay the dealer for hitting sales targets. There can be several targets set on monthly and quarterly bases and can add up to tens of thousands of dollars if hit.
Toyota has had upto $2500 per car retroactive to first for hitting a specific model goal.
But that money does not get deducted from the invoice, it's paid several months after the car is sold and it is credit to the dealer for specific VINs.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I hope you do well.

I have a couple friends who sell cars for a living. One recently left Kia for BMW. Said the culture of the organization and buyers are night and day difference.

Are you going to start using Sig Forum to network? Using LinkedIn to network? I'm not in the car business but I've read that networking, letting your buyers speak for you to their family & friends, is one of the biggest endorsements you can get. Building your rolodex is key to making bigger money.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new gig. SO, will we be able to come in and get the Sigforum brothaman hookup? Razz

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
What do I have to do to get you in this car today?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
What do I have to do to get you in this car today?

I dont say that one, but similar. Its all about today.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Congratulations. I hope you do well.

I have a couple friends who sell cars for a living. One recently left Kia for BMW. Said the culture of the organization and buyers are night and day difference.

Are you going to start using Sig Forum to network? Using LinkedIn to network? I'm not in the car business but I've read that networking, letting your buyers speak for you to their family & friends, is one of the biggest endorsements you can get. Building your rolodex is key to making bigger money.

Haven't begun doing any networking yet. Have not been in the business long but I have some referrals from past buyers come in. You are correct, having people come to you is a much easier sale and adds to the sales you make. There are people at the dealership that don't take new customers, they have a constant flow of referrals.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Congrats on the new gig. SO, will we be able to come in and get the Sigforum brothaman hookup? Razz

Let me ask my manager if we can get you the Sigforum free undercoat discount.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"See, they install that Sigforum Undercoat at the factory... There's nothin' we can do. You don't get it and you get oxidization problems, dontchaknow."

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I’ll take you up on your offer, EmpireState.

A car comes back to the dealer after a 3 or 4 year lease. It goes on the lot as a late model used car. Percentage, how much room is in that dealers asking price?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post