SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Michigan ice storm 2023
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michigan ice storm 2023 Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Boy, they sure blew the forecast for SE Michigan for today.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Got power back on 4:30 am Saturday, but internet has been dodgy till now. Hope everyone else is ok.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2103 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

They sure did, didnt they?

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

They sure did, didnt they?

Yeah, loved the ice forming outside at noon today. And just yesterday we were outside in sweat shirts.

One of our daughters took us out for dinner in Howell Saturday evening. While at Cleary’s we got the message from DTE that our power was restored, this was at 7 P.M., seventy hours since it went out. I was on edge today when saw icing on trees again.

P.S., sidss1, haven’t seen any of your postings for awhile, wondered how you were doing. I remember you were supposed to meet us at The Firing Line in ‘15 but you had to cancel.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8141 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for remembering me, Shovelhead. I am doing the best I can, suffered a series of strokes in early September 2022, but am still going on.
I check SigForum regularly, but dont post very much. I hope you are doing well during this stretch of winter weather that we are having.
Thanks for remembering e and asking about me, and I greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was somewhat lucky. First because I had the wisdom to purchase a generator back when the power failed in 2003 for the entire northeast due to a downed line in Ohio. Second because I had the wisdom to install a 20 amp circuit in my kitchen for the fridge. Third because I made myself a20 amp extension cord with male plugs on each end of it.

So being semi retired now I only work half days and only 4 days a week. Thursday at 6:30 AM I had full power in the house and came home at noon to no power at all. So I go down to the basement and disconnect the mains. Next I get that special extension cord from it's special spot in the basement. Then I get out the generator and run a 20 amp extension cord from the generator into the milk box on the back of my house. Then I plug in that special extension cord to the fridge outlet and the extension cord from the generator. Final step is to fire up the generator, warm it up till it's running smooth with the choke off, and finally close the breakers for that circuit on the generator. BTW, this setup give me power for the furnace, fridge, lights in the front half of the house and the computer and TV. Yeah the bedrooms, bathroom and office are all dark but so what, I have a Streamlight Siege for those rooms.

Final bit of luck was that at 10:00PM driving back from a run for gas I see the whole street is lit up. Total time on the generator was just 10 hours and I'm fine with that. Was planning on running the generator for a bit just to clean up the carb. Now that item is checked off on my list of spring chores.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Scooter, that's the way we do it here, I have the 220 outlet off dual 20's in the garage so I can run the wire to the outlet below the main circuit breaker panel.

Flip off the main power to the house and everything but the AC and pool pump can be run.

Need to sell this generator and get a bigger unit that will run the AC before next Hurricane season.

Posts: 23604 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Day 6 with no power. Had a public official conference call with a Consumers Energy VP today. This is the third most serve storm (in terms of customer outages) in the history of their company.

Our restoration date has moved out to noon tomorrow.

Posts: 11235 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Day 6 with no power. Had a public official conference call with a Consumers Energy VP today. This is the third most serve storm (in terms of customer outages) in the history of their company.

Our restoration date has moved out to noon tomorrow.

Do you think they should have put a little more of the money they have requested as rate increases for infrastructure over the years into the infrastructure ? Our area grid is a joke. Maybe you should have suggested that the VP talk to Williams county and Steuben County to see how to maintain a grid.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I was lucky and dodged losing power. Parents lost 1/2 power when a limb took out one leg of the feed to the house. Uncle lost power the following day when they turned off his entire grid to do repairs.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38011 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post