SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Michigan ice storm 2023
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michigan ice storm 2023 Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
So it’s Day 3 of no power here in the Tropics of Michigan.

Current Sitrep:
Generator is keeping our well going so we have not only water but hot running water thanks to our gas water heater. Also our refrigerator, radio and charging electronics. Gas stove so we are having chicken and dumplings for dinner. House is warm thanks to our LP gas wall heater.

Tons of downed limbs. Got some of them cut up and piled buts lots. LOTS more to go. Still assessing damage but the livestock are all good as are we. Preps all working. Mostly kerosene lamps after the sun goes down. We are far better off than most.

My fire department along with every other one in the county ran tons of lines down calls in th first 24 hours. Only 3 medical so far.

Life is good.

Posts: 11235 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
More freezing rain predicted for Sunday night in my area, hope you don't get any to set you back.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4140 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I got out just in time, left Wed morning and came home. It was low 30s in Michigan, then we hit 85 in TN.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10732 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
85 in Feb. Can't imagine, yuck.
Glad your set up Brad. Sounds great.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My uncle is at his girlfriend’s in Detroit and they haven’t had power for a few days. She doesn’t have a generator, but does have a wood burning fireplace.

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Our electric power went out Wednesday about 8 pm. Got it back 4;30 am today (Saturday). Biggest problem was no internet. We're starting to worry about the stuff in the freezer.

The woodstove kept us from freezing.

This happens every few years in Michigan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John Steed,

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2103 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Glad to hear that you, your fam and the livestock are doing well. Sounds like the specifics of your situation are performing well under stress.

My step son in White Lake has a fairly good size generator and has been using it to power his home since Wednesday. Like you described, he says he's got tree limbs down through out his large yard. His chickens made it through the ice storm, but a limb did drop on and damage a portion of his coop :-(

My wife and I and our neighbors in our subdivision are lucky as we have power. A mile north of me, no power. We had about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch of ice accumulation.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 502 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Ugh…hope all returns to normal soon for you guys. Sure sucks going without power or water.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8675 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you're hanging tough. I, too, invested in gas lamps a few years back. I have several with about 20 gallons of lantern fuel. Fumbling around in the dark when the batteries go dead ain't no fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark in Michigan:
His chickens made it through the ice storm,

I am continually amazed at the toughness of chickens. Mine sailed right through our stretch of -20F. I did put a heater in the coop, but it wasn't enough to raise the temp more than 10-20 degrees. They still soldiered through, laying every day.

Posts: 20133 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe my weather in the Yoop is better than the Lower Peninsula. Beautiful sunny winter day here today. Some of the news reports say it might be next week before full restoration of power.
The outlawing of gas appliances sure looks stupid now, doesn't it?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16135 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were lucky, lost power about midnight Wednesday night, but it was restored about 7:45pm Thursday. Consumers Power had projected the restoration to be 2:45pm Sunday.

Posts: 775 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I talked to my other uncle in Brighton. He and my aunt are doing well. They have a whole house generator. I checked PIE&G’s outage map and it looks like Presque Isles County is doing well.

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
I sat up Wednesday night listening to the soothing sounds of trees breaking, transformers popping and occasional thunder. My hood lost power around 1am Thursday, only it wasn't out, we still had 70 VAC available to the outlets and lights. Not good. Have a few LED lamps that still worked dimly, so that was nice. My neighbor told me their refrigerator was still working "sort of". I strongly recommended that they unplug any appliances that they care about. Trying to run a major appliance on 70 volts just didn't seem like a good idea to me. 36 hours later power was restored. I'm just thankful that all of my appliances seem to have survived the sustained brownout.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in Michigan:
My wife and I and our neighbors in our subdivision are lucky as we have power. A mile north of me, no power. We had about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch of ice accumulation.
We were even luckier than that. There were large swaths of outages to both our SW through NW and SE through NE, the borders of which weren't but 1/4 to 1/2 mile away.

We were amazed we kept our power.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Our power went out Wednesday night at around nine. First thing Thursday morning I went on a quest for a inverter generator as the twenty-plus year old one we have caused us some issues the last time we used it four years ago, yeah, put off today what you can do until tomorrow.

So Harbor Freight third stop. Got a friend with a truck to bring it home for me. House has a transfer switch already wired in. Around seven last night power came back on.

My complaint was with the utilities outage map and reporting. We reported the outage, around five hundred customers on Wednesday but the outage map said it was reported Thursday morning. So I kept checking for updates and yesterday about mid afternoon some houses in the outage area were back online. But suddenly the time our outage was “reported” mysteriously changed to around noon Saturday with a restoration date of Monday.

The conspiracy theory part of me wonders if the date changing was an reporting a error or a intentional fudging to keep the MIchigan Public Service Commission off their backs.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8141 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Good to hear you've weathered things well. Last experince I had was in 2013 with Winter Storm Atlas. Three plus days where there was no power or movement. In an all electric home a fireplace was the only way to heat inside. And food was all cold ready to eat. FWIW I subsequently bought an Iwatani 12k btu propane single burner and fuel for emergencies. Thankfully haven't as yet needed it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16262 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy that all SigForum members in Michigan are OK, and weathered last week's storm without too many difficulties.
Here in Ann Arbor, we were lucky that we didnot lose power in our neighborhood, so, I invites 2 friends and their families to come and spend time at our house. It was a bit hectic, cooking for two extra families, etc, but, we all weathered the storm and its aftermath OK.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
sidss1,
Looks like you are in the freezing rain right now and it is headed my way.
Good luck.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4140 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Now in Day 5 without power at home. Store has been up since Thursday morning.

Current restoration time is noon today but with driving rain and some new ice accumulation, I doubt that will hold as well as the last estimate did

Posts: 11235 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Now in Day 5 without power at home. Store has been up since Thursday morning.

Current restoration time is noon today but with driving rain and some new ice accumulation, I doubt that will hold as well as the last estimate did

I hope they get you going soon.
We were without power for 5 days a few weeks back and it sucks donkey balls.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post