SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wintering in Florida vs. Arizona
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wintering in Florida vs. Arizona Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I am currently spending my first year as a snowbird in FL. Living in our 27' motor home is not quite as comfortable as we would like, it's not bad, but we are considering purchasing manufactured housing in a 55+ community. We are thinking either state would be good for us for 6 months at a time. Any recommendations in either location, from people who are familiar with these types of communities. Looking to spend up to 100K, and realize this will mean modular construction.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure where you are currently located in Florida but my mom and dad just live in a 55+ community in Fruitland Park/Leesburg right on Lake Griffin.

Until this past July, they did the 6 on 6 off rotation for the past few years until they decided Columbus, OH was too cold and they were ready for a change. I think boredom and lack of friends was the real reason.

I love it down there, and the people are really nice. The homes range from 75000 to 140,000 I believe. I have actually looked at a couple that were for sale.

Most people in their community still do the rotation with a few that are yearly residents.

I could not believe my dad gave up his house, man cave/garage and his huge yard which he loved working on. He is really happy, fishes almost every day, tons of events, gym near by.

I am happy for them.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Any link to this community?

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do the snowbird thing in Florida.
Our RV is usually just a place to sleep. We try to be up early and have something to do and somewhere to go.
We thought about buying a park model somewhere but realized with our RV we can easily move if we don’t like our neighbors or things change.
Another reason for keeping our RV was the ability to pick a different park to winter in each year.
Mobile works for us.

Posts: 325 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You haven't given folks much to go on other than the size of your RV and you aren't as comfortable as you'd like.

What do you find lacking in your RVing experience?

Where have you been in Florida and what were you impressions of those areas?

Do you have a car along with your RV or is it just your RV you use to get around?

How do you like the weather so far in Florida?

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I would add that living here all my life along the deep SE Coast I enjoy the weather periods from mid November until about April. Over the years this is usually the time of year that I can comfortably open the windows without A/C for extended periods.

Opinions may vary. Though I'm not at all experienced with RVing, I know that over the years many have enjoyed RV trips along the stretch of Florida Keys to Key West during the winter periods. I have in my earlier years did a bit of camping in the Keys during the winters, loads of enjoyment.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With respect, I believe that, if you are in the northern third of Florida, you are not really wintering here. And, if you are on the East coast, you really ought to try the West coast.

I'd suggest that Ft. Myers Beach, Sanibel/Captiva and Naples are the nicest on this coast. I grew up on Ft. Myers Beach, but that was back in the 60s, so it's changed a lot.

I currently live in the Tampa/St. Pete area and it is quite nice, but you'll notice that, when it gets "cold," it'll be about 10 degrees warmer in Ft. Myers.

Bob

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The name of my parents subdivision is
Lakeside Terrace:

Lakeside Terrace is a 55 plus waterfront community. We are very close to stores, restaurants, churches, medical facilities and hospitals. There is a fully active clubhouse with a billiard room, library, bingo, washers & dryers, swimming pool, hot tub, shuffle board courts. There is a boat marina, nature walk, fishing pier and a compound for your trailers. We are only a few miles from " The Villages" in Lady Lake which has entertainment on their 3 town squares every night.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
You haven't given folks much to go on other than the size of your RV and you aren't as comfortable as you'd like.

What do you find lacking in your RVing experience?

Where have you been in Florida and what were you impressions of those areas?

Do you have a car along with your RV or is it just your RV you use to get around?

How do you like the weather so far in Florida?

We have a car we tow, and are staying in a very nice, new, 55+ RV Resort. Due to not having reservations I did not feel comfortable traveling around this winter. We are staying in NW central FL, fairly close to Gainesville area. We have just decided we do not want to live in the motorhome for 5-6 months straight.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
The name of my parents subdivision is
Lakeside Terrace:

Lakeside Terrace is a 55 plus waterfront community. We are very close to stores, restaurants, churches, medical facilities and hospitals. There is a fully active clubhouse with a billiard room, library, bingo, washers & dryers, swimming pool, hot tub, shuffle board courts. There is a boat marina, nature walk, fishing pier and a compound for your trailers. We are only a few miles from " The Villages" in Lady Lake which has entertainment on their 3 town squares every night.

Thank you!

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I would pick AZ area by a landslide! I spent three winters there on an extended work gig(s) and loved it. Based out of PHX, short drive to all sorts of things to do from Palm Springs to Grand Canyon to Mexico if you like. Plus the local area itself has all sorts of things going on all the time. Loved it!

You might share any interests you have if you want more specific input from folks.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
huge obvious factor might be : how much enjoyment do you seek from water activities

one guy I know moved to Northern AZ and while he liked it -- he missed being around the water

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Not into fishing, boating, but I will admit to the scenic beauty of lakes. Remember guys, we are only interested in spending the winter months there, think 4-6 months max.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
This is our third winter on the Emerald Coast of Destin Florida. Lots to do and great restaurants. Prices are good in winter but expensive in summer. We generally are here from Nov to April.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Would golf be an attraction?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Both have lots of golf. FL has more tennis though.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Maybe putt-putt... Big Grin

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Indoor pistol ranges are attractions/wanted.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Indoor pistol ranges are attractions/wanted.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=...FORM=QBLH&sp=1&ghc=1

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
We go down every winter for a few months in a 55+ community in FL. We enjoy the area south of Sarasota. It’s a 5 minute bike ride over the intercostal to the beach. Prices seems about the same as Michigan for food, and gasoline is a little cheaper. My biggest gripes in Florida is the slow, slow service in restaurants or any service related business. And the retirement communities seem to have more rules than you can imagine. A HOA on steroids. My wife took our daughter swimming in the community pool after dark. So the head HOA honcho called her mother at 10:00 to tell her that my wife was breaking the rules. My mother-in-law asked what did they expect her to do (to my wife), she’s 64 years old.

If you buy a single family dwelling you will
be fine. Like they said above, lots to do and plenty of places to go.

I have visited and stayed in AZ since the 70s. I love it there. I make occasional trips to California to the San Diego and LA areas. I often hike and hunt when I’m in AZ. The only thing that I don’t like is that sometimes I get tired of looking at he brown landscape and yearn for some green. Both areas have their own charms. Visit both til you are sure.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post