SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wintering in Florida vs. Arizona
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wintering in Florida vs. Arizona Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Liberal Tucson and Flagstaff should be in California.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Brrring, Brrring,
ca-click;

This is Arizona calling.
No hurricane has ever made landfall here.

Yes that's right.

I live in Tornado Alley, and we get those pesky tornados as well as very large hail stones often enough that our car insurance and home insurance is just too..darn..high.. And add the stress of tornado season and I'm outta here in a few more years.

I'm looking at a retirement area around Tucson, and my friends who live there already tell me they've not had a tornado nor large hail stones.

NO hurricanes, tornados, hail, etc.

What's not to like about Arizona? And they have some airports that can take you anywhere pretty darn quickly.

Win Win for me!

Try to find an area OUTSIDE of Tucson city limits. The Democratic tied city council and mayor has really screwed up that city.

Yes, I'm looking at Green Valley. It's not the only place I'm considering, but I really like GV.

Thanks.

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Lifelong Florida resident here. Honestly, the political winds are changing. It is probable that after 2020 and beyond that Florida will go the way of Virginia and be dominated in the house and the Senate by Democrats…

If gun rights are important long term to you, I wouldn’t consider Florida. I hate to say it, but it’s the trend I’m seeing.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
If you would like to do a little shooting in Winter, along with your other activities, Arizona would be the place. Plenty of ranges, and plenty of public land where you can shoot to your heart's content. Even "The Valley"/Phoenix area enjoys beautiful weather in the Wintertime. I've heard there are even golf courses in the areaWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1577 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I used to live in FL and now live in AZ, so when I say I hated snowbirds in both places, know I say it with passion. Go clog up the roads and restaurants in Florida.

Seriously, the weather is nicer in FL in the winter. The high here next week will be in the 50s.

Posts: 1518 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Try both states and see which one you like best. It all comes down to a personal choice and there are so many variables in consideration of individual wants and needs.

I live in lower east Alabama, 25 miles from the Florida line. That's what's perfect for me in retirement. Mild winters. We never get snow. Well, none that ever accumulates or even sticks. Today, I had to cut grass. Lower east Alabama is far enough from the coast that hurricanes have generally greatly diminished by the time they get here, but tornadoes are a thing. And I'm still close enough to day trip to the beach anytime I like. Alabama is mostly Republican, conservative and not so many nanny state laws. There is no state run CCW program and is left up to the counties and their respective sheriff's departments. Living is cheap and easy here. No state taxes on military retirement or social security in Alabama. I'm over 65 and have a county property tax exemption on my home, so no property taxes (for me) either.

So, I'm close to Florida and have visited all over the state from one end to the other (lived in Jacksonville for 3 years when stationed there), and I've driven across country several times. I love the desert southwest. Given the choice of Florida or Arizona ... I'd prolly pick Arizona if an extended visit felt right there, but like you, I'd also have to compare laws and taxes too. Maybe if it's just a matter of spending winter in one or the other, I'd do both on a rotation basis until I decided which I'd want a winter home in. When you reach your destination, you'll know it. Good Luck !!!

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
What about longer term rentals? Like spending 4 months in the heart of Winter away? This way one can move around some, never tied down to one area.

I have a friend that rents in NE FL for 4 months of the winter, Spruce Creek for the aviation theme.

One has to divide the costs into ownership, including convenience savings.

When the time comes I can see doing both AZ, FL, and other places, never being tied to one. It would be better if one was still in good shape & health. If extremely limited by either maybe some shade under a palm tree is enough.

Posts: 6386 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
On the greens in Cottonwood, AZ. Pretty great community. My wife and I almost bought there. Homes are affordable, and it’s styled really well. Amenities are abundant, short walk to Old Town. All sorts of wonderful outdoor activities around. Weather is amazing and we get over 300 days of sunshine.

https://onthegreensaz.com/

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Lifelong Florida resident here. Honestly, the political winds are changing. It is probable that after 2020 and beyond that Florida will go the way of Virginia and be dominated in the house and the Senate by Democrats…

If gun rights are important long term to you, I wouldn’t consider Florida. I hate to say it, but it’s the trend I’m seeing.

Much as I hate to say it, and I have many times before this is gaining a lot of truth, especially along the eastern seaboard Miami-Dade, Ft Lauderdale, and points northward. I've lived here in South Florida now going on 66yrs and I've definitely seen a slow trend over the years. Not especially fond of saying it but it's an honest assessment. Many of my friends over the years agree and have moved northward, trying to stay within the state but many have moved farther north outside Florida as well.

There's still many things about living here that are great, especially if you enjoy being outside and water related sports and recreation year round. The winter weather is pretty nice too. I don't believe that any real political calamity and complete blue state conversion will happen in my lifetime, but it is trending that way, I'm 68 and I think I'll squeak past the change. Just like many of the real liberal denizens we have our share of political left loonies already and more coming out each year, sadly.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post