SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many kilts do you own? How often do you wear them?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many kilts do you own? How often do you wear them? Login/Join 
posted
As the title says. How many kilts do you have, how often do you wear them and for what occasions do you wear them for?

What price range are they in if you have more than one?

When you wear your kilt do you carry and what and how?

ARman

Posts: 3157 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
None. I'm not Scottish.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Kilts, for me, have been kind of like an earring or tattoo: I've often considered each of them--and that's about it.

A proper kilt is expensive. Particularly if you want it in a particular clan's tartan. (I've lineage back to a particular, fairly notable clan on my mother's side.) Then there's the question of when and where I'd wear it--a question for which I've been unable to summon a good answer.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have not seen swain post anything for quite some time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30747 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I thought about it, but... I live in Florida and wearing wool isn't high on my list. I would want a good one, and good one's are expensive. There's the "where and when would I wear it" problem. Finally, there's the "earring and tattoo" issues that ensigmatic mentions. I'm not trendy. I'm not trying to stand out. And if I did do it, I'd probably want a Great Kilt, and those are even less practical than the normal kind.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
As the title says. How many kilts do you have,

Until they find me documented evidence of the Clan Cohen tartan, I won't be wearing ANY kind of kilt.

Posts: 11342 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have two kilts that I purchased in Scotland after retiring from the Army. I only wear one occasionally now because I became a “bigger” person and have had only it resized; I keep thinking I should get the other done one day. The tartans are a “hunting” and an “old” version of the more common one for my family name.

The town where I live has various activities to which attendees are encouraged to wear “period” dress or fancier outfits, so I wear the kilt then as it seems to satisfy the spirit of the whole thing. I have a traditional jacket that I usually wear along with a formal dress shirt.

I also have a couple of the “tactical” kilts that 5.11 produced a few years ago, and which started as an April Fool joke. They have no special meaning and therefore don’t have to be treated carefully. They’re lightweight and “airy,” and therefore I sometimes wear one when hiking (in the summer).

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of parrotdog
posted Hide Post
I own 3
One in MacLaren for my Boy Scouting events
One in Stewart for my family name
One in McRae for my wife family name
I wear them at least once a month

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

Posts: 543 | Location: Tacoma WA | Registered: March 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I have an unfinished one. My very Scottish grandmother started to make me one years ago. I'd taken her to the Delco Scottish games and I tried my hand at some of the events. She died before we got to go again and before the kilt was finished.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Nei

Posts: 5360 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
2 I bought a 5.11 tacti-kilts years ago, wear it all the time. We had a team paint ball event last summer and I wore it and my buddy wore his Capt Chaos costume.

My wife got me another from Christmas....

One of the days I will get a proper one with my family tartan.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I have no kilts, but am wanting to purchase one. I am thinking the cost for a traditional kilt will be at least $800.00 for me as I want at least a medium weight wool.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
N/A for me, however a few times a year I've run into someone at the Home Improvement store that fits the cast-call specs for 'sturdy Scots warrior': he's about 6'4", perhaps late 30s, massively muscular shoulders & a definite "wayWayWAY in shape" body movement, unkempt longish deep reddish mane, a plain rugged sort of a tacti-kilt that looks like he's been shoeing horses or eating raw velociraptors, and some kind of high-calf boots that resemble the style the Mongolian Hu band guy wears.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a black watch tartan kilt that was gifted to me by my Scottish friends when I studied abroad in Edinburgh. That was almost 20 years ago so it doesn't fit me any more, but I still have it hanging in the closet.

When I was younger I would paint my face blue and wear a brown mullet wig and go as Braveheart for halloween. Other than that I never wore it in public.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
checking

Posts: 107759 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a hard enough time keeping my nutz warm without the wearing of a kilt, thank you!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Utilikilts, 1 black and 1 tan. I will wear them again, as soon as they fit again.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crossroader
posted Hide Post
0. Never.

As soon as the government gets your guns, they'll be back to take your Bible.

Posts: 440 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: March 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
None, but if I did...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8402 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Despite have a Scottish lineage I can trace way, way back, I own zero kilts, and have no desire to wear one, unless doing so brought me endless riches, a title (with a peerage seat at the House of Lords), and a small castle.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post