SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Metronome?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metronome? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
My wife is not a musician. She has vivid memories of her childhood visiting a friends house that had a metronome. She said she wants one and her birthday is come up in 6 weeks. So, what's a good brand, and what can I expect to pay?

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Assuming she wants a mechanical one vs. electronic. I paid I think $75 for a nice Wittner. This was back in the 80s I think.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
If it's just for nostalgia, then something off Amazon would work. $35.

You can get some pretty fancy ones with mahogany or walnut for $150-300.

I'm assuming you're talking about the traditional wooden base pendulum type?

People either love them, or hate them. I find them soothing.

Posts: 3018 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Yes, the old style.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I have an old Franz model. Looks like ebay has a few.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And check your pawn shops, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
$50 for a mechanical one. Wittner has made them for decades.

You can get a free metronome app for you phone.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
That's something now best left to phone apps. You can set BPMs and odd time signatures for anything.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
That's something now best left to phone apps. You can set BPMs and odd time signatures for anything.

True, but a mechanical metronome is a nice piece of nostalgia which may be worth more than using your phone, which I do most of the time because it is easy.

Chess clocks are the same. I have an old Jerger mechanical chess clock as well as a Chronos digital clock. Both are great for different reasons.

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I think the OP needs it as a display piece only. A phone app, though advanced, probably wouldn't look that impressive on the mantle. Wink

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
One note for your consideration, the cheaper ones are knock-offs from China, and made of wood-grained plastic.

A new real Wittner with a wood case runs from around $140 to several hundred.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Ebay has a bunch for sale. I would think she would want something similar to what she saw in her youth. The site can select "used" and "wood". It looked like there were some good ones for not a lot of money.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post