SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody make Lox? Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody make Lox? Question Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
Trying tp beat the $800 a pound price of great Lox. Eek

Salmon.
I have tried twice.
Cured for two days (sugar/spice/salt)
Cold Smoked for 2 or 3 hours.

Problem: It comes out flakey and cannot thinly slice it.

Don't get me wrong it tastes great and we just eat it like that or I have made a fantastic Salmon Dip.

How do I get it not so flakey so I can slice it thin?

My guess it got too hot or too close to the smoke source.
The source is pellets in a perf tube.

Anybody smoke Salmon?
What am I doing wrong?

Otherwise it is great.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you have your answer in your question. Cold smoke versus hot smoke. I used to make gravadlax once in a while, with sugar salt and dill. no smoke, and it is always sliceable like the commercial smoked salmon.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make homemade gravlax all the time. Excellent for breakfast, open-face sandos, appetizers for entertaining...its a hit with everyone. I like to go heavy on the dill.

For getting thin slices, you need the right knife. Get one of these or, use a long boning knife.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If it's flaking, it's cooking on you

You need to COLD smoke it. You don't want any heat being generated in your smoker, only smoke. Lots of ice in there too.

I worked in a restaurant where we would make it and we used a smoker that used only smoldering sawdust and pans of ice.

For the people showing the Gravlax recipes, that's not the same thing as that is usually only cured but not smoked.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
For getting thin slices, you need the right knife.

Good point I ordered a Sashimi Knife on Amazon.

quote:
If it's flaking, it's cooking on you

You need to COLD smoke it. You don't want any heat being generated in your smoker, only smoke. Lots of ice in there too.

Yeah, I think you confirmed it, on my second try I did add a pan of ice but I did put it under the smoke source on a rack (mistake).

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

I ordered a Sashimi Knife on Amazon
Too funny -- I looked at the Amazon link. Description: "Japanese Sashimi Knife."

Scroll down a little further and find "Country of Origin: China."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

I ordered a Sashimi Knife on Amazon
Too funny -- I looked at the Amazon link. Description: "Japanese Sashimi Knife."

Scroll down a little further and find "Country of Origin: China."

Yeah, I know. Frown
Had the same thing on a bunch of nice Chef Knives from Findking.
They are all good knives and I didn't find out until I opened the box.
I thought they were decent quality, FWIW but not happy about the Chicom origin.
Seems they are everywhere. Frown

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
When I cold smoke cheese I usually wait until winter so I can ensure the smoker stays truly cold. I'm sure this step is even more important when cold smoking meats.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post