SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snowmageddon on the Way to St. Louis
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowmageddon on the Way to St. Louis Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Round 2 starts now.... let's see what nonsense awaits on the roads today.
its pretty much a mess right now. Left downtown and now I’m in Crestwood picking up my wife. Watson is a disaster like usual.

Tell me.about it... I have to deal with til.at least 9pm.

Stay safe out there Kevin.

Posts: 2169 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Be prepared for delays and a long drive if you get stuck out in it. Have food, water, and a spare cup in case you get stuck in traffic. Have plenty of gas, too.

We had a Snowmageddon event in Atlanta a few years ago and everyone on the road was basically trapped. I left my office at 3 PM. When I realized how bad it was getting, I stopped at Kroger to pick up water and trail mix, thinking it would be a few hours. I was wrong. After creeping along all night and watching people abandoning their cars and walking faster than I was moving, I finally reached my son’s school at 8:30 the next morning to pick him up. I’d driven about 12 miles in 17.5 hours.

Good luck to all!

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
used the shop broom to clean two drive ways , took about 35 minutes.

if its gotta snow, this is the snow you want.

a dozen people were using their leaf blowers to move it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have already had a one day snowfall of 14” this year. 5-8” no big issue.

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
5-8"? Rookie numbers.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3604 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I was in the Atlanta snowmageddon in a friggin UPS truck Frown. It was not a good day

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Agreed Vanwal & Blackmore.

As a native St. Louisan, I remember as a young driver that people drove much better in the snow than nowadays. And that was with plain old radial tires rear drive cars back then versus most now everyone has all season tires & front wheel drive.

Regardless, doesn't make life easier for those who have to drive around given all the other knuckleheads on the road.

Stay safe and the snow is supposed to end around midnight tonight.

Posts: 3815 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
About an hour on the driveway yesterday, Round One. Over two hours today, Round Two, Round Three moving in as we finished. So my dance card is filled in for tomorrow. According to local news, Columbia won the lottery with 7 1/2". I had guessed 8", good for me. Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8544 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I'm in StL for work.
Snowflakes describes both the weather and the population here.

Really people.....THIS piddly bit is a crisis?

I hope the comet veers to the midwest!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4653 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope the comet veers to the midwest!

Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I was out in it from 10:00 am to midnight and had zero issues. There were probably 15 to 20 vehicles that I saw off the road, and only one was a 4x4. The rest were front wheel drive sedans, two wheel drive pickups, and rear wheel drive "performance" cars.

Only saw three accidents. Two were spin outs, and one was head first into a barrier. One of the spin outs was a Prius right in front of me. I stopped traffic so he could get facing the right direction, and reminded him that electric go didn't mean electric stop. Wink

Had it in 2 wheel drive 98% of the day. Used 4x4 to get out of where I live since the roads were solid ice when I left, and used it twice to back into customer driveways.

All in all, just a bunch of slush and people who don't know how to drive, which is typical regardless of the weather conditions here in the St. Louis area.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, it's no where near deuce and a half time , yet. ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, it's no where near deuce and a half time , yet. ?

I'll still take them out to play from time to time, but until we start measuring the snow in feet they aren't really needed.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I was out in it from 10:00 am to midnight and had zero issues. There were probably 15 to 20 vehicles that I saw off the road, and only one was a 4x4. The rest were front wheel drive sedans, two wheel drive pickups, and rear wheel drive "performance" cars.

Only saw three accidents. Two were spin outs, and one was head first into a barrier. One of the spin outs was a Prius right in front of me. I stopped traffic so he could get facing the right direction, and reminded him that electric go didn't mean electric stop. Wink

Had it in 2 wheel drive 98% of the day. Used 4x4 to get out of where I live since the roads were solid ice when I left, and used it twice to back into customer driveways.

All in all, just a bunch of slush and people who don't know how to drive, which is typical regardless of the weather conditions here in the St. Louis area.

Pretty much. These people have trouble.driving when it is 75 and sunny.... snow is a disaster.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty much. These people have trouble.driving when it is 75 and sunny.... snow is a disaster.

There are terrible drivers everywhere...
When I was in Dallas, an inch of snow was a disaster. Here I think we get a bit spoiled by pretty good MoDot and County road crews. When I started driving the roads didn't get cleared so quickly so we learned to drive in the snow. I actually hate how much salt they throw down now. It destroys cars from the bottom up.

Also, I think as a cop you probably come into contact with a disproportionate number of terrible drivers. The good drivers go about their business and don't have a lot of interaction with the police.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post