SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snowmageddon on the Way to St. Louis
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowmageddon on the Way to St. Louis Login/Join 
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Ah memories, when I first moved down from MN to MO a snow event like this was comical. Sitting in on the Walmart parking lot watching drivers try to move about by smoking their tires.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Shoes didn't make it. They got wet and the snow was over the edge of the shoes, meaning you got snow and slush inside. Made walking more interesting and sitting in class all day with wet feet a joy.

We did have uphills both ways. Kids make fun of us for saying it, but any uphill stretch was a pain. Even in summer. But in winter we got to slip and slide. Even on the downhills. Maybe more on the steep sections. I don't know (still) if the school was higher or lower than our humble abode. Didn't matter, because we had a fairly large gain in altitude between our house and school. Then the reverse, too.

But as far as the forecast goes, we have a lousy weather forecast. But the one weather babe makes it worth watching. Just one babe. The guys are either gay or project that while lying to us. The head of that department has a huge belly. Often taking up most of the screen. Its the camera man's fault, but he never changes. Even that lying prick Nadler has the sense to hide behind a podium. Not John Gum, he's out in the open. I don't mind when Erica stands in front of the map with her legs spread. No, I don't watch her face, just the legs. Its much more pleasant than their lame forecast.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
We are on the south side of Kansas City. We have about 5 inches now. I'm waiting for it to finish up so I can clear the driveway. We are supposed to get more tomorrow.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
We are on the south side of Kansas City. We have about 5 inches now. I'm waiting for it to finish up so I can clear the driveway. We are supposed to get more tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm in Lees Summit. about the same. Two bowls of Mrs Cliff's chili and a Yuengling down my throat watching the cowgirls & LA playing right now. Wash my mouth out with a few shots of bourbon later. I'll take care of my neighbors driveway's in the morning. Damn it feels good to be retired in the winter.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7657 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

Damn! The wind took the house!
Only the fireplace remains!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Damn! The wind took the house!
Only the fireplace remains![/QUOTE]

Smile

Posts: 3733 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I remember going to school in 5-8” of snow; nowadays they cancel school if snow is just predicted. What have we become?
Ditto, and we walked to school.
And uphill, both ways, and barefoot too. Roll Eyes
We wrapped barbed wire around our bare feet, to get traction on the ice.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Wow. Your weather girl is hot! Lol
We're supposed to get some too. Mix of ice though.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3870 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
H2oys,
You have a beautiful patio setup there.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdj:
H2oys,
You have a beautiful patio setup there.

Thank you mdj Smile

Posts: 3733 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
We actually walked 1/4 mile down a gravel road to a 40 acre woods where we cut through and came out across the highway from the school. Probably a mile total. This was after we milked the cow, fed the chickens and tossed the manure out of the barn to put down fresh straw since it was really cold in Illinois in the winter.

h2oys I agree, a beautiful patio.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I guess we were lucky as we only had about 2" of snow at our home. However per the Missouri State Highway Patrol Eek

This before the 2nd wave of snow that is supposed to arrive today:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

I think you misunderstood me. Clearly 4WD is better for driving, and when allowing the vehicle to compression brake, but when people drive faster because “they’ve got 4WD” and mash the brakes it does not do additional good. And from personal experience in patrol, I’ve seen just as many 4WD vehicles in wrecks as passenger cars without it. Perhaps before tires and 4WD, we should begin with experience. I remember driving a 68 Torino convertible in 6” with no issues.

He didn't misunderstand... I know, as this was talked about in another recent thread.

4x4 does provide better braking.
This doesn't mean everybody driving a 4x4 knows HOW to drive one and that it keeps them out of the ditches.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Davenport IA we got 1-2 inches, just as predicted. My daughter in KC MO got about 5 inches.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'll be out working in it today, so I'll report back on how my 4x4 stops (or doesn't) with a load of safes onboard. Wink

We are expecting several more inches today.

The advice above about staying in your car after an accident is generally good but not always. It's a quick decision to be made and involves some common sense. If you have tractor trailers coming up behind you at speed, you don't really want to be in your car. As far off the roadway is generally the best place to be assuming you can get there quickly and safely. You clearly don't want to be standing around outside your vehicle on the roadway.

For a quick trip back in a time machine, many years ago I had considered being in the towing business. This is how I used to spend my time on days like these:

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Round 2 starts now.... let's see what nonsense awaits on the roads today.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
its pretty much a mess right now. Left downtown and now I’m in Crestwood picking up my wife. Watson is a disaster like usual.

Posts: 3929 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I was out and about yesterday... no problems.
My wife works at Shriner's Hospital, mid-town, and leaving now. It's a lot worse than it was yesterday.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is days like today (well actually, it's most days...) that I'm glad I left retail pharmacy. Yesterday would have been a nightmare with everyone wanting to get their prescriptions early.

A few years back (2014 I think), there was a huge snow storm forecast. It started Saturday night and went through all day Sunday. I worked that weekend. We filled on a Saturday what we normally did on a Monday (about 400 rx's). BUT with 1 pharmacist and 2 techs (normal weekend staffing). That was a whole lot of no fun. At least the customers had a sense of humor when I would come around the corner and crack jokes about French toast. Sunday, I think I saw 12 customers. We closed early because no other staff could make it in.

Today, I'm working from home. Changed my schedule at the last minute (usually have to drive to Jefferson City from St. Louis on Mondays).

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
its pretty much a mess right now. Left downtown and now I’m in Crestwood picking up my wife. Watson is a disaster like usual.

Tell me.about it... I have to deal with til.at least 9pm.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post