SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ruby Tuesday (restaurant) guest wifi
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruby Tuesday (restaurant) guest wifi Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Won’t let me get here. Blah blah blah against some policy blah blah blah...

I feel so much safer now.
And yes, I went right back to LTE so I could post this. Big Grin

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Some Bob Evans do the same thing, some don't, so I don't think it's a deliberate corporate policy. Rather it seems to be whoever set up the internet at individual locations, set up some sort of filter that blocks certain content.

Posts: 10803 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
The local HEB store's wifi blocks SIGforum too.
Disappointing, but I don't care enough to make a stink about it.

Posts: 4121 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Always been thankful to United Airways for NOT blocking SIGforum. On their planes shitty wifi, this page is one of the few things that comes up and navigates smoothly!! Smile

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Having previously been in the industry... most of these places just use the default firewall settings that the service they use has set up. They're not all setting up and running their own IT departments.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I owned a restaurant the log in would be.

hangupandsocialize

Posts: 3872 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
If I owned a restaurant the log in would be.

hangupandsocialize

Good Point Smile

For those not "getting it" - use a VPN.

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I won't use wifi out in public. Even when I stay at a hotel I use cellular on both my phone and iPad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SpinZone,

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3836 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Having previously been in the industry... most of these places just use the default firewall settings that the service they use has set up. They're not all setting up and running their own IT departments.
Yup. They probably never even paid attention to what was blocked and what was "approved."

When I was incarcerated in a physical therapy rehab place after my hip fracture, I pointed out to them that I could not connect to SIGforum. They had absolutely no idea how to change any settings.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I won't use wifi out in public. Even when I stay a a hotel I use cellular on both my phone and iPad.

This is the way I am since 2013 when I was in the hospital donating almost half my colon to science. Was using the patient WiFi where had to use admitting info to get on, not the “public” WiFi they also had and my email was hacked.

Thankfully that was all that was messed with, but no more public WiFi for me. My Verizon unlimited on phone and iPad both have hotspot ability, so phone, iPad, MacBook I am good.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
VPN, Gets right around it

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^this^^

I've been in bars that have alcohol websites blocked. Kinda sucks when they have dozens of beers on tap and cannot checkout a review site like beer advocate.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23092 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cell service for me. Years ago, when the local hospitals put in wi-fi terminals for the patients and federal, state, and local inmates were among the patients, I made the change. I socialize with people I like. That number is small enough that I am often on the internet in pubic.

Posts: 17115 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:

In all the years I’ve shopped at HEB, I’ve never been in there long enough to try and surf Sigforum. I buy my stuff and leave.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It has never occurred to me to use the wi-fi in a restaurant. I'm too busy chowing down or, if with somebody, talking to them.

Posts: 27814 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:

In all the years I’ve shopped at HEB, I’ve never been in there long enough to try and surf Sigforum. I buy my stuff and leave.

My wife ran into the store to pick up a couple of items and I was sitting in the parking lot.
If I am in the store, my focus is on getting my items and getting out.

Posts: 4121 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

It has never occurred to me to use the wi-fi in a restaurant. I'm too busy chowing down or, if with somebody, talking to them.
If I am alone, I give my order to the waiter, then while waiting for the food I might check email and / or SIGforum.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
I always have a couple books loaded in the Kindle app for situations like these.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
VPN, Gets right around it

Please explain this and how to use it. Thanks

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is precisely correct. Websites are divided into broad categories by the network's firewall software- Sports, Music, Weapons, etc. Specific sites may be blocked, but usually, sites such as SIGforum are not accessible on these public wifi networks because a broad category- such as 'Weapons'- is blocked.

And yes, the way around this is to use a VPN client. However, some of these public wifi networks block VPN tunneling. I know that Panera Bread does this, which means you can't reach SIGforum from their network at all.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post